The Score pitches Ozzie Jr. as baseball talk host

HuskyCaucasian

QUOTE(Athomeboy_2000 @ Jan 7, 2006 -> 10:22 AM)
Very simple (i am not trying to be racist here),  but all those others actually LEARN english when they come to America!

I know quite a few Polish people who know not one word of English. There were a TON of them in my neighborhood growing up. You'd have to point at stuff and show them numbers in a store and stuff like that.

I also know quite a few Latinos who are more fluent and versed in the English language than I am.

To blanket ANY race is racist, whether intended or not.

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(The Critic @ Jan 7, 2006 -> 10:58 AM)
I know quite a few Polish people who know not one word of English. There were a TON of them in my neighborhood growing up. You'd have to point at stuff and show them numbers in a store and stuff like that.

I also know quite a few Latinos who are more fluent and versed in the English language than I am.

To blanket ANY race is racist, whether intended or not.

I'm just speaking from personal experience here, that's all. I only know one Mexican imigrant that speaks english well and he's married to my mom's cousin. Othr than that, NONE spoke more than a few words. Several were here for more than 5+ years. Come one, learn a few sentances.

QUOTE(Athomeboy_2000 @ Jan 7, 2006 -> 11:49 AM)
I'm just speaking from personal experience here, that's all. I only know one Mexican imigrant that speaks english well and he's married to my mom's cousin. Othr than that, NONE spoke more than a few words. Several were here for more than 5+ years. Come one, learn a few sentances.

Helllloooo!! Can you hear us in that hole you keep digging?

QUOTE(RibbieRubarb @ Jan 7, 2006 -> 01:38 PM)
Helllloooo!! Can you hear us in that hole you keep digging?

Is it racist to ask someone who moves to Germany to learn German? Or someone who moves to Japan to learn Japanees? NOPE! So, how am I being racist or anti-Mexican?

QUOTE(AnthraxFan93 @ Jan 6, 2006 -> 05:20 PM)
No its about catering to a small group of the population that refuses to learn american customs..We contuine to cater to spanish speaking people, while every other ethnic background is thrown to the side.. Irish,Italians and Polish Imigrants helped build Chicago into the great city that it is..And they had to learn the Langauage as well as kept their own. They recieved no speaical treatment.. why should spanish speaking people?

If your going to cater to one group you have to cater to all..Otherwise that is racist, there is no way around it.

Here is an english lesson for you- I before E EXCEPT after C ( i.e. RECEIVED not RECIEVED"

Let me CONTINUE- (or like you put it CONTUINE)

"Those who live in glass houses shouldn't throw stones"

QUOTE(Athomeboy_2000 @ Jan 7, 2006 -> 08:12 PM)
Is it racist to ask someone who moves to Germany to learn German? Or someone who moves to Japan to learn Japanees? NOPE! So, how am I being racist or anti-Mexican?

Ribbie Rubarb posted this hours before you jumped in:

Whereas our Italian, Polish, & Irish influx came closer to the beginning of the 20th century.

During that time, might I add, there was a huge anti-immigration movement in New York and Chicago for the exact same reasons you stated.

They did not learn the language as soon as they hit Ellis Island or made their way into Union Station...it was following generation that took that step.

If you're from the city, you should have no beef in regards to the topic at hand. If you live in some distant suburb or on a farm with absolutely no concept of reality, then yeah, you might sound a little like Anthrax. If soxtalk had a John Rocker Award, well, I know who I'd vote for. It's always the people who are hiding out in the middle of nowhere on some deranged mountain man type s*** who find something wrong with a Spanish radio show, a Polish radio show, etc.

QUOTE(AnthraxFan93 @ Jan 6, 2006 -> 03:23 PM)
Horriable Idea..When is there going to be a Polish, German, French show? Why are they catering to just people who speak spanish?

I'd tune in to the French show for a few laughs. I'd be the only one tuning into the French show.

QUOTE(hammerhead johnson @ Jan 7, 2006 -> 03:51 PM)
  It's always the people who are hiding out in the middle of nowhere on some deranged mountain man type s*** who find something wrong with a Spanish radio show, a Polish radio show, etc.

Beleive me, I'm not knocking the idea of a Spansih sports show. I actually think it's a VERY brilliant idea by Mitch Rosen. That is an untaped sports market and the Sunday morning time slots are a waste of space because most people are at church or sleeping. HOWEVER, by aiming at the Latino market, you're recapturing that time slot and adding new listeners. It's a very savy move by the Score. I'm all for it. Bringning in Ozzie Jr is a very wise move as well.

If nothing else, I'm glad they are moving away from those dumb ass "Ultimate Bet" infomercials they run. I'd rather listen to someone talking Spanish (which i dont understand) than the other crap!

No habla enspanol? No escucha...es facil, no? Pienso que este es un bueno idea que ayuda la gente que habla espanol les gustan los medios blancas mas.

It heartens me to see comments like Anthrax's responded to in such a sensible manner. There is progress in this country after all.

Last time I checked, Latino's pay taxes just like Pollacks, Jews, Protestants, Italians, WASPS, etc. Perhaps the mayor should try and make things a little easier on them. But I digress.

This will only help the Sox became mas popular, que es la problema?

NO you are correct, its just we as a nation have become so PC we can't spreak the truth anymore. I have no problem with any ethnic background, I would make the same fuss if there was a Polish speaking show on the Score.

Also I am planning to move to Germany.. so I am learning German, not expecting them to cater to me.. That is what Eupopeans hate about us.. Yet Latinos are expecting this now because they came here in droves.

This is a touchy subject because most can't face the reality of the situation, it easy to throw around the racist label when they fail to understand the problem.

QUOTE(AnthraxFan93 @ Jan 7, 2006 -> 07:47 PM)
NO you are correct, its just we as a nation have become so PC we can't spreak the truth anymore.  I have no problem with any ethnic background, I would make the same fuss if there was a Polish speaking show on the Score.

Also I am planning to move to Germany.. so I am learning German, not expecting them to cater to me.. That is what Eupopeans hate about us.. Yet Latinos are expecting this now because they came here in droves.

This is a touchy subject because most can't face the reality of the situation, it easy to throw around the racist label when they fail to understand the problem.

Does Germany have an official language? You know what, the United States of America does not have an official language.

QUOTE(AnthraxFan93 @ Jan 6, 2006 -> 05:20 PM)
No its about catering to a small group of the population that refuses to learn american customs..We contuine to cater to spanish speaking people, while every other ethnic background is thrown to the side.. Irish,Italians and Polish Imigrants helped build Chicago into the great city that it is..And they had to learn the Langauage as well as kept their own. They recieved no speaical treatment.. why should spanish speaking people?

If your going to cater to one group you have to cater to all..Otherwise that is racist, there is no way around it.

This isn't special treatment at all. Racism is EXCLUDING a group based on race. All this is doing is giving Spanish speakers another entertianment outlet. In the US they have the freedom to broadcast in any language they would like. You want racism we can talk about somewhere like France or Quebec where they actually have laws the regulate what words can go on signs, how big they can be, and which language gets the marquee.

English isn't the official language of the US as much as people would like to think it is. There is nothing to stop anyone of any group from putting on a show that identifies with a particular group, it happens everyday. If what you believe is true, we have a whole lot of stuff to shutdown. Things like Spike, ESPN, Foxsports, comcast sports etc (male), Oxygen, Lifetime (female), Bravo (Gay), Telemundo (spanish) etc are all geared towards one particular group of people. Does that mean they are all racist too?

QUOTE(Athomeboy_2000 @ Jan 7, 2006 -> 11:22 AM)
Very simple (i am not trying to be racist here),  but all those others actually LEARN english when they come to America!

A great majority of first generation immigrants speak little to no English. We are a nation of immigrants and our history proves that it is the second and third generations of migrants that make the switch over to the native tongue. For many older adults they don't posess the learning skills needed to adequately learn a new language, as most of those creative skills are most prevelant the younger you are. As you get older the ability to learn language deteriorates. Look it up, its fact. It has nothing to do with being lazy or stupid, it has everything to do with the human body.

And as I eluded to earlier, no one is under any obligation in the US to learn English. We don't employ language nazis to ensure the purity of the language. In the US we have historically embrace immigrants, and you don't have to look any further than the amount of forgein works that are used in the English language.

QUOTE(AnthraxFan93 @ Jan 7, 2006 -> 08:47 PM)
NO you are correct, its just we as a nation have become so PC we can't spreak the truth anymore.  I have no problem with any ethnic background, I would make the same fuss if there was a Polish speaking show on the Score.

The irony is that most Europeans speak more than one of the languages that are spoke on their continent. They aren't arrogant enough to believe that the rest of the world should learn their particular language.

QUOTE(southsider2k5 @ Jan 9, 2006 -> 10:52 AM)
The irony is that most Europeans speak more than one of the languages that are spoke on their continent.  They aren't arrogant enough to believe that the rest of the world should learn their particular language.

Bingo.

QUOTE(southsider2k5 @ Jan 9, 2006 -> 11:52 AM)
The irony is that most Europeans speak more than one of the languages that are spoke on their continent.  They aren't arrogant enough to believe that the rest of the world should learn their particular language.

What do you call a person who can speak 2 languages? Bilingual

What do you call a person who can speak 3 languages? Trilingual

What do you call a person who can speak 1 language? An American

Does Germany have an official language?  You know what, the United States of America does not have an official language.

Yes German, Just like France has French.. Amd So on.. THe reason they learn another language (mainly English) for business purposes. English is the main langauge for business in the world.

If we are to learn another language in the US it should be Chinese, within the next 25years they are going to major players in Business. IMO

QUOTE(AnthraxFan93 @ Jan 9, 2006 -> 12:38 PM)
If we are to learn another language in the US it should be Chinese, within the next 25years they are going to major players in Business. IMO

In Joss Whedon's opinion too if anyone has ever seen Firefly.

Right now, a lot of government agencies are looking for speakers and writers of both Arabic and Chinese. These languages are relatively complicated in their alphabets and what it takes to learn them over Romance or Germanic languages.

Either way, the only reason people in Europe learn English and other languages is because governments force them too in schools. Governments have realized the financial benefits of English-speaking citizens. A lot of people who don't have interest in business will end up forgetting their English just like people here forget the languages they learned in high school. The ones that don't usually get a ton of practice because of the English all over the Internet. Learning and remembering a foreign language requires alot of desire or opportunity to practice. If everyone around the world is learning English, Americans don't need to learn anything else.

QUOTE(Athomeboy_2000 @ Jan 7, 2006 -> 12:49 PM)

Uh...you do know that you sound ignorant when you make a judgement on a huge population based on such a tiny sample size, right?

QUOTE(AnthraxFan93 @ Jan 7, 2006 -> 08:47 PM)

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

i worked with a bunch of mexican americans and they've made huge strides in how much english they speak in a few short months...

this thread is just blah...blah blah...then point...then more blah

I'm trying to figure out how someone can be pissed off that our spanish speaking manager's spanish speaking son has a spanish speaking radio show about a team who just won the World Series with a team whose star's often depended on the spanish speaking manager's spanish speaking son to translate for them in interviews.

QUOTE(Damen @ Jan 10, 2006 -> 03:14 AM)
I'm trying to figure out how someone can be pissed off that our spanish speaking manager's spanish speaking son has a spanish speaking radio show about a team who just won the World Series with a team whose star's often depended on the spanish speaking manager's spanish speaking son to translate for them in interviews.

WORD