Abreu rumor

BigSqwert

• Replies 253
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(Steve Bartman's my idol @ Jan 13, 2006 -> 04:10 PM)
Whatever...Abreau would be an incredible addition to the Sox!

If we can get him, I say, GO 4 it!

....And our bullpen? We'd be without two legitimate arms if Contreras is traded and McCarthy moves into the rotation. You can't have two in house or non-roster invitees battle for the open positions.

QUOTE(TheHammer @ Jan 10, 2006 -> 08:19 PM)
For what it is worth, Abreu isn't just another RFer, he is a boarderline HOF caliber RFer.  He is having a HOF career in a small market.  If that offer was really made to us I am a little disappointed that we didn't take it.  He could hit 50 HRs in the cell

citizens bank is a more homer friendly park than the cell is.

oh brother... :headshake

QUOTE(redandwhite @ Jan 13, 2006 -> 04:34 PM)
haha, abreu is a hall of famer?  he might be one of the most overrated players in the game, but he did win the derby, right?

just for the record, some splits:

Bobby Abreu, 2005

Home: .304 / .423 / .535 and 15 HR

Away: .268 / .387 / .417 and 9 HR

Home: .314/.451/.552 13 hr

Away: .290/.495/.535 17 hr

H: .349/.464/.544 11 hr

A: .253/.355/.395 9 hr

H:.284/.413/.467 8 hr

A: .327/.413/.565 12 hr

H: .261/.394/.509 13 hr

A: .315/.393/.574 18 hr

Career

H: .310/.430/.532 100 hr

A: .296/.393/..492 90 hr

There's not THAT big of a difference. Let's not get caught up looking at ONE year of a veteran player's career. Some Sox fans were eager to point out Furcal's horrid day game stats of last year when it appeared as if the Cubs were about to sign him, when in actuality it was hardly a career trend.

QUOTE(redandwhite @ Jan 13, 2006 -> 04:34 PM)
haha, abreu is a hall of famer?  he might be one of the most overrated players in the game, but he did win the derby, right?

just for the record, some splits:

Bobby Abreu, 2005

Home: .304 / .423 / .535 and 15 HR

Away: .268 / .387 / .417 and 9 HR

Abreu's career has been extremely quiet. I don't know how anyone can say he's overrated. He's very much underrated.

Abreu is rated perfectly and he's nowhere near a hall of famer. 190 career HRs from a RF who will be 32 by the beginning of next year and showed significant regression in the second half of last season is not someone I'll be thinking about when it comes to the HOF.

-Overrated-

-

-

Abreu

-

-

-Underrated-

Abreu is rated perfectly and he's nowhere near a hall of famer. 190 career HRs from a RF who will be 32 by the beginning of next year and showed significant regression in the second half of last season is not someone I'll be thinking about when it comes to the HOF.

-Overrated-

-

-

Abreu

-

-

-Underrated-

His 241 career stolen bases bump him up a bit in my eyes. And how many players have a career line like this?

.303 AVG, .411 OBP, .512 SLG, .923 OPS

That's damn good. He might not be a Hall of Famer but he's pretty close.

Not to change the direction of this discussion, but has anyone noticed this off-season the number times the WS were mentioned in trade rumors for players that the Cubs were highly coveting?

I sometimes get the impression that KW has made every effort to drive up the price, be it in dollars or players/prospects, on a lot of the players that the Cubs have either acquired (Eyre and Pierre) or tried to acquire (Tejada and Abreu).

This first stuck in my head during the winter meetings when he was asked about the Sox trying to obtain Pierre and he got a huge grin on his face. Then look at the amount of cash Hendry paid for Eyre.

Maybe KW really wants to acquire the same players as Hendry, or maybe he is deliberately trying to break the Cubs' bank, block them from acquiring players and deplete their farm system. If this offseason doesn't turn out well for the Cubs, he might just accomplish it. Just a crazy thought.

Edited by Beltin'Bill

QUOTE(Beltin'Bill @ Jan 14, 2006 -> 12:59 AM)
Not to change the direction of this discussion, but has anyone noticed this off-season the number times the WS were mentioned in trade rumors for players that the Cubs were highly coveting?

I sometimes get the impression that KW has made every effort to drive up the price, be it in dollars or players/prospects, on a lot of the players that the Cubs have either acquired (Eyre and Pierre) or tried to acquire (Tejada and Abreu).

This first stuck in my head during the winter meetings when he was asked about the Sox trying to obtain Pierre and he got a huge grin on his face. Then look at the amount of cash Hendry paid for Eyre.

Maybe KW really wants to acquire the same players as Hendry, or maybe he is deliberately trying to break the Cubs' bank, block them from acquiring players  and deplete their farm system. If this offseason doesn't turn out well for the Cubs, he might just accomplish it. Just a crazy thought.

I get the feeling that the Cubs woes are a biproduct of Kenny's maneuvering, not the reason for Kenny's maneuvering. KW doesnt have to worry about driving up the price of a player during the Winter meetings, the media does that for him.

QUOTE(kyyle23 @ Jan 14, 2006 -> 01:07 AM)
I get the feeling that the Cubs woes are a biproduct of Kenny's maneuvering, not the reason for Kenny's maneuvering.  KW doesnt have to worry about driving up the price of a player during the Winter meetings, the media does that for him.

You are probably right. However, isolating the root of woes in Cubdom is a pretty difficult science. I am the staunchest opponent of talking about luck to explain how a team does, but I seriously think there might be merit to this curse talk. With the exception of Derrek Lee, everything they touch seems to turn to mush.

QUOTE(Frank the Tank 35 @ Jan 13, 2006 -> 05:50 PM)

Home: .314/.451/.552 13 hr

Away: .290/.495/.535 17 hr

H: .349/.464/.544 11 hr

A: .253/.355/.395 9 hr

H:.284/.413/.467 8 hr

A: .327/.413/.565 12 hr

H: .261/.394/.509 13 hr

A: .315/.393/.574 18 hr

Career

H: .310/.430/.532 100 hr

A: .296/.393/..492 90 hr

There's not THAT big of a difference.  Let's not get caught up looking at ONE year of a veteran player's career.  Some Sox fans were eager to point out Furcal's horrid day game stats of last year when it appeared as if the Cubs were about to sign him, when in actuality it was hardly a career trend.

He's inconsistent!!!

QUOTE(Beltin'Bill @ Jan 14, 2006 -> 06:22 AM)
You are probably right. However, isolating the root of woes in Cubdom is a pretty difficult science. I am the staunchest opponent of talking about luck to explain how a team does, but I seriously think there might be merit to this curse talk. With the exception of Derrek Lee, everything they touch seems to turn to mush.

How about Aramis Ramirez and Michael Barret :bang

QUOTE(SoxFan101 @ Jan 14, 2006 -> 04:02 AM)
How about Aramis Ramirez and Michael Barret  :bang

I think Barret is an asset to his team but last I heard, the love affair with Barrett was waning since he did not hit enough home runs for Cubs fans and some pitchers did not want to pitch to him. I do not necessarily agree with the negative comments his power, but it is another Mark Grace type example of how the fans will start harping on his power numbers and not recognize his overall value to the team.

Didn't Ramirez end the season injured? I agree he could easily have another great season, but I also am not nearly as sold on his value to a team as I am on a guy like Derrek Lee. He seems more like the Carlos Lee type who puts up some very good numbers and plays safe defense but doesn't necessarily have the mental intangibles needed at times. Maybe I am biased because he is on the Cubs but I have never really like Ramirez' overall demeanor, even when with Pittsburgh.

QUOTE(Beltin'Bill @ Jan 14, 2006 -> 02:21 PM)
I think Barret is an asset to his team but last I heard, the love affair with Barrett was waning since he did not hit enough home runs for Cubs fans and some pitchers did not want to pitch to him. I do not necessarily agree with the negative comments his power, but it is another Mark Grace type example of how the fans will start harping on his power numbers and not recognize his overall value to the team.

Didn't Ramirez end the season injured? I agree he could easily have another great season, but I also am not nearly as sold on his value to a team as I am on a guy like Derrek Lee. He seems more like the Carlos Lee type who puts up some very good numbers and plays safe defense but doesn't necessarily have the mental intangibles needed at times. Maybe I am biased because he is on the Cubs but I have never really like Ramirez' overall demeanor, even when with Pittsburgh.

An important distinction between Grace and Barret, is that Grace was a strong defensive player. Mike, not so much...

QUOTE(SEALgep @ Jan 14, 2006 -> 07:14 PM)
An important distinction between Grace and Barret, is that Grace was a strong defensive player. Mike, not so much...

Barrett's strength is in the handling of the pitching staff.

QUOTE(YASNY @ Jan 15, 2006 -> 03:31 PM)

:huh:

Barrett is not a good game caller, an even worse defender, and he is the reason why the Cubs signed Blanco last offseason. Both Maddux and Prior don't like pitching to him (you should see Prior's splits when Blanco catches him.)

Barrett has a good bat, but also has an iron mitt.

Just the opposite. Barrett is a horrible game-caller and defensive catcher. He's just a good hitter. There's a reason the Expos tried to make him into a third baseman. I remember some Cubs fans pining for Henry Blanco to be the starter. He's a much better defensive catcher and calls a better game than Barrett.

Edited by SSH2005