Who will win the last outfielder spot?

SSH2005

Who will win the last outfielder spot?  

103 members have voted

1. 1. Who will win the last outfielder spot?

• Darren Blakely
    • Joe Borchard
    • Ben Grieve
    • Jerry Owens
    • Ryan Sweeney

Borchard will win it as long as he finishes spring training in one piece. He out of options, so he's going to be on the roster, or gone. 9 times out of 10 that means you make the roster. (right Timo?)

Ozzie and Kenny won't hesitate to call on Owens mid-season, or even earlier, if Borch is teh suck

Borchard will win it as long as he finishes spring training in one piece. He out of options, so he's going to be on the roster, or gone. 9 times out of 10 that means you make the roster. (right Timo?)

Ozzie and Kenny won't hesitate to call on Owens mid-season, or even earlier, if Borch is teh suck

Not to mention that Grieve's defense will be the reason he's an afterthought in Ozzie's head. But he would be nice insurance at AAA.

QUOTE(RME JICO @ Jan 30, 2006 -> 05:31 AM)
This will be a great ST.  It is probably Borchard right now, but a great ST by Sweeney or Owens could bump them up.  If Grieve can find his old form as the ROY he has a shot, but a long one at that.

Sweeney can have a perfect avg. and hit all HR's and he wont be the 4th OF to begin the season.

Owens probably wont either even with a great spring training because he needs the ab's if he isnt a starter......

Its basicly between Grieve and Borchard.

QUOTE(Gene Honda Civic @ Jan 29, 2006 -> 11:41 PM)

100 percent correct, however I am VERY concerned that Ozzie will stick with Borch too long (ie Timo Perez) and leave Owens in the minors.

I'm pretty confident barring any absolute collapse in spring training, Joe Borchard will break camp with the big league club and will be the fourth outfielder. It really is his spot to lose. Now's your chance, Joe. He doesn't have any options left, he is a former first-round pick, the front office really, really likes him as a person, and, most importantly, he has more power than any of the other candidates. Joe brings more to the table than any of the other candidates right now.

Owens will have his time. Hell, the kid is, what, just one year removed from football?

I'm really pulling for Joe. Let's finally put it all together, Joe. The spot is yours to lose.

QUOTE(whitesoxfan101 @ Jan 30, 2006 -> 06:43 AM)
100 percent correct, however I am VERY concerned that Ozzie will stick with Borch too long (ie Timo Perez) and leave Owens in the minors.

As long as Borchard doesn't spend a month leading off...

Seriously...even if he only hits .220 or so like Timo did last year, he'll probalby put up 5-10 home runs, as opposed to 1 for Timo. It won't hurt us too badly to use him as a backup outfielder. He simply cannot be worse than Timo...and if somehow he turns out to be, then it won't cost us that much to trade for an outfielder who can hit .220.

QUOTE(Tony82087 @ Jan 30, 2006 -> 09:19 AM)
Borch is the easy pick right now, but if Owens comes on really strong,and Borch really screws up out his chance, I dont think Kenny and Ozzie will have any problem putting him on the bench.

I still don't like the idea of putting owens in the big time yet...he's only had 1 really successful year in the minors as far as I know (last year at AA ball), he hasn't really faced even AAA pitching, he has several things to learn still (defense, base-stealing techniques), and as far as I know his arbitration clock hasn't started yet.

I know it doesn't seem like a huge thing, but if Borchard doesn't make the 25 man roster this year...we lose him completely. Someone will claim him off waivers. If nothing else, I'm just going to continue hoping for an average year from him just so we can trade him to someone desperate for an outfield bat after an injury. If we've invested that much time and that much $$ in a guy...if there's any potential left there at all (and he still does perform pretty well at AAA), then I don't think it's a good idea to just waste all that investment.

QUOTE(SoxFan101 @ Jan 30, 2006 -> 06:25 PM)
whatevr happened to Grieve he put up some nice numbers at the begining of his career...... did he get a freak injury that messed him up or what?

He's probably the Sox' best option if they're thinking offense only. Problem is, he's probably the worst defender out of the guys battling for the final bench spots (Owens in OF, Gload at 1B, Borchard in the OF). Like I said in the reliever thread, I'd like to see two out of the above four to make the team.

Not only will it be Borchard but I think he's going to add on to his 2005 success. In 2005 he led the Knights in TB & broke the Knight's all-time hit record. When called up in 2005 he made the most of his AB's & didn't choke.

He represents insurance along with Mack against a Thome injury.

Bench: Widger, Ozuna, Mack, Gload, & Borchy. As a SH Borchy's the only power RH option off the bench. If he survives ST in good health he's a lock for that spot.