Borch considers Football Career

DBAHO

QUOTE(CluelessJoe1919 @ Feb 13, 2006 -> 12:03 PM)
There's no question that he hasn't cut it, yet. But, that has nothing to do with his approach to the game.

Umm, his approach to the game is why he hasnt cut it yet. The guy has nothing but talent, and hasnt used it to his advantage.

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(robinventura23 @ Feb 13, 2006 -> 11:40 AM)
Good luck to him wherever he ends up, because obviously,  his future doesn't lie with the White Sox.  But this has Drew Henson written all over it.  Wonder how Josh Fields will fare if he ever makes it to the bigs.

Hell...Chad Hutchinson should give a clue also.

hutch.jpg

Borchard couldn't even muster a .500+ SLG% in one of the better hitting parks in AAA. He comes across as very whiny in this article, which is pretty much the opposite of everything I've heard of him.

If he leaves, so be it. Ben Grieve has put up a career .269/.367/.442 line. That's not bad production coming off of the bench.

i feel bad for joe, ive always liked him as an individual. I think he can contribute somewhere. believe me if tony womack is on a roster theres no reason joe borchard shouldnt be. You mean to tell me some team couldnt use a guy to hit .240 with 25 homers? isnt that basically what we get from crede? i think joe can be productive in this league still

QUOTE(knightni @ Feb 13, 2006 -> 02:56 PM)
CFL = Can't fund lots.

The average player in the CFL makes 25-35K a year.

He might as well stay in the MLB or use his Stanford degree.

It's a little better scenario for quarterbacks. The Toronto Argonauts are reportedly on the verge of signing Eric Crouch to a contract. This is a quote from the CFL website: 'Speculation is he'll receive $80,000 in a base salary this season, but the deal has various incentives to drive the total package well beyond $100,000. If elevated to the full-time starter, he would likely be looking at an annual salary of at least $250,000-$300,000.'

QUOTE(SoxFan101 @ Feb 13, 2006 -> 06:09 PM)
if he can get the 4th OF spot he has a chance because with Dye and his injury past and Pods a injury risk since he steals soo much.... not 2 mention Anderson being a rookie will need time off.

i agree, he'll get some playing time; its definitely not worth it to switch to football

I feel bad for Borch in some respects because he is a hard worker. I really hope things work out for him.

I also think that you guys shouldn't blame HIM for his signing bonus. Would you have told the sox "no no no, 5 million is too much?" I don't think so. Can you blame the guy for being a little upset? Give him a break wish the guy well and move on.

what irritates me is that he believes he's actually accomplished something at the minor league level. his best year was his first and it's been downhill ever since. joe needs to get a clue.

It hasn't been all downhill for him. He got hot in the second half last year and looked great in his short stint with the big club.

I think Borchard will be the Sox 4th OF'er when ST breaks and the team heads North. If for no other reason then we aren't going to piss away over $5M. But, I was liking what I was seeing from Joe B last year. He may have matured at the plate enough that it's finally his time.

QUOTE(CluelessJoe1919 @ Feb 13, 2006 -> 08:42 PM)
It hasn't been all downhill for him. He got hot in the second half last year and looked great in his short stint with the big club.

He had a solid second half last year in Charlotte yet he still only managed to bat .263 and managed to strike out 143 times while walking 50.

Great in his short stint with the big club? He was 5 for 12 with 4 Ks and no BBs. That's great? Kind of a small sample size.

He had a solid second half last year in Charlotte yet he still only managed to bat .263 and managed to strike out 143 times while walking 50.

Great in his short stint with the big club? He was 5 for 12 with 4 Ks and no BBs. That's great? Kind of a small sample size.

Yep..Like I said, he looked great. He shortened his swing and made contact...I said it was a short stint. Are you not very bright or something?

QUOTE(CluelessJoe1919 @ Feb 14, 2006 -> 12:33 AM)
Yep..Like I said, he looked great. He shortened his swing and made contact...I said it was a short stint. Are you not very bright or something?

Striking out 4 times in 12 AB's isn't exactly "great"..

QUOTE(CluelessJoe1919 @ Feb 13, 2006 -> 11:33 PM)

I love the end of your post, it's so juvenile. I'm just saying 12 AB is enough of a sample size in my mind to say a player was great, unless of course it was something ridiculous like 10 for 12 with 5 HRs or something.

Now c'mon. Where's the Borch >>> Timo post? :D

FWIW I still think Borch will make this team. If it comes down to him or Ross Gload, I think they go with Borch after the issues Gload had with management last season. Of course Ben Grieve could still come into play as well, but I'm expecting him to start down at Charlotte.