Baines/Raines Flipflop

Al Lopez's Ghost

• Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(SoxFanForever @ Feb 17, 2006 -> 03:23 PM)
You don't have time to scroll through a few posts but you have time to make a post asking what the thread is about?  Makes sense  :lolhitting

It took about two seconds to make that post. But I just found out that I don't have to leave until 4 now. So I'll read through the thread. :P

I hate to sound like Tim McCarver, but this just doesn't make any sense. That's just a bad decision. If I see Harold at first instead of Rock, who's one of the best basestealers of all time, I think I'm just going to cry.

Edited by TheBigHurt

QUOTE(White Sox Josh @ Feb 17, 2006 -> 01:05 PM)
Because Rock Raines is in the top ten in stolen bases in the history of the game.  I thought he had a big impact with the sox being one of the best base stealing teams in the league.  Sure you can talk about Pods but it happened with other guys to.  Jermaine Dye had 11 stolen bases.  People in Oakland were comparing him to Konerko in terms of speed.  Plus I think Baines is a pretty good Bench Coach.  So there is your f***ing reason.

The white sox were in the bottom third of the league in stolen base percentage. Alot of stolen bases doesn't mean overall success. The sox were fourth in baseball with 137 steals but first in baseball with the most caught stealing, 67, that was the most by ten. Now if you want to talk about good base stealing team... look no farther than the angels and mets.

Btw, dye has always been known for his base running. Who cares about his 11 steals... i remember three of those were gimmes anyway.

QUOTE(TheBigHurt @ Feb 17, 2006 -> 03:46 PM)
I hate to sound like Tim McCarver, but this just doesn't make any sense. That's just a bad decision. If I see Harold at first instead of Rock, who's one of the best basestealers of all time, I think I'm just going to cry.

No doubt. This is right up there with Jordan retiring in 93. What will I ever do?

QUOTE(White Sox Josh @ Feb 17, 2006 -> 02:05 PM)
Because Rock Raines is in the top ten in stolen bases in the history of the game.  I thought he had a big impact with the sox being one of the best base stealing teams in the league.  Sure you can talk about Pods but it happened with other guys to.  Jermaine Dye had 11 stolen bases.  People in Oakland were comparing him to Konerko in terms of speed.  Plus I think Baines is a pretty good Bench Coach. So there is your f***ing reason.

:lol:

I didnt even phrase that last post with (much)sarcasm. I was honestly curious why you kept saying it was a bad move without saying why. Tell me what the big difference is? Rock isnt coaching guys up on how to steal bases during games. He does that in workouts with players, his in-game job isnt as much strategy and observation at 1st base. if he ever has aspirations of becoming a manager as speculated, he is going to have to sit next to the coach sometimes during the game and learn the managers game from there. I dont think this is as big of a deal as some posters are making it out to be. When you switch a 3rd base coach, then you notice a difference.

Edited by kyyle23

QUOTE(SSH2005 @ Feb 17, 2006 -> 05:30 PM)
According to Bruce Levine, Ozzie wants Tim Raines on the bench because he's much more of a talker than Harold Baines (really?)Rock will be able to share his base-running and hitting knowledge a lot better on the bench than Harold.

hmmm, I know someone who said that. Me. :)

QUOTE(Al Lopez's Ghost @ Feb 17, 2006 -> 10:43 AM)
One of the Chicago papers today - think it was the Sun Times - said that Raines is now the bench coach and Baines is the new first base coach. No reason has been given as yet.

This makes me sad, I think that Tim Raines is a good first base coach... and I love watching him race to first "making" the other short stop throw him out before each inning...

http://chicago.whitesox.mlb.com/NASApp/mlb...t=.jsp&c_id=cws

Coaching realignment: Harold Baines and Tim Raines will switch places for the 2006 season, with Raines now serving as bench coach and Baines moving over to coach first base. Manager Ozzie Guillen made the decision, explaining that Raines can discuss more with the hitters about the little nuances of the game while sitting in the dugout.

"When we are hitting, Tim Raines is at first base and doesn't have time to communicate with players during the game," Guillen said. "That's why I moved him over there.

"I think Harold wants to be on the field. I think Harold should be on the field."

Baines was a frequent contributor strategically as bench coach in 2005, according to Guillen. But Guillen feels he will be just as valuable at first base.

"Harold helped me win a world championship, and I think he will help me again to win a world championship," Guillen said.