Good news for Gload fans

SSH2005

QUOTE(q\/\/3r+y @ Feb 23, 2006 -> 03:39 PM)
Also, if first base not that important in the grand scheme of things, how many more errors do you think the sox would have had if someone like frank thomas was playing first base the last 3-4 years every day? Do you know how many balls konerko has to pick out of the dirt because of crede and uribe? Hell even iguchi was wild as f*** and he has the shortest distance to throw. A very good first baseman ( rather have the picking abilities than versatility at first) saved our ''great'' defense too many times to count.

All in all teams have worse options than ross gload backing up first but he is only needed if a long term injury occurs very soon.

Name me a team that carries three 1B. Hes worthless to us.

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I agree with everything qwerty said.

Of course, I'm also hoping that they only go with 11 pitchers, allowing them to take Borchard. You go with a bench of Widger / Ozuna / Mackowiak / Gload / Borchard, and it's probably a heckuva lot better than last year's, as you actually have some good (for bench players, at least) hitters, as well as all of the positions covered.

QUOTE(RockRaines @ Feb 23, 2006 -> 03:42 PM)
Name me a team that carries three 1B.  Hes worthless to us.

Never said that... and he is virtually worthless to us.

Alot of teams do carry two first baseman and another that can play it if needed. If gload had a better primary position... like left... he would make this team... but he doesn't and he will get a job some where else no matter how much he is hated on these boards.

QUOTE(q\/\/3r+y @ Feb 23, 2006 -> 01:49 PM)
Never said that... and he is virtually worthless to us.

Alot of teams do carry two first baseman and another that can play it if needed. If gload had a better primary position... like left... he would make this team... but he doesn't and he will get a job some where else no matter how much he is hated on these boards.

We have that...in Konerko, Thome, and Machowiak.

I still don't understand how only a handful of games in the OF and a couple bad plays makes someone a bad defensive player. just because a guy is thrown at a position for one game and has a bad day doesn't mean he's a bad defensive player.

for a sport that is 162 games in length, some really do put too much stock into a couple games.

QUOTE(Balta1701 @ Feb 23, 2006 -> 04:52 PM)
We have that...in Konerko, Thome, and Machowiak.

And that's why, unless he can show he is a solid OF defender (which would seem to be a big jump for him), he is not useful to the Sox.

But I do agree with Qwerty, he's a solid player offensively and defensively (at 1B), and he's likely to get on somewhere.

QUOTE(NorthSideSox72 @ Feb 23, 2006 -> 10:11 PM)
And that's why, unless he can show he is a solid OF defender (which would seem to be a big jump for him), he is not useful to the Sox.

But I do agree with Qwerty, he's a solid player offensively and defensively (at 1B), and he's likely to get on somewhere.

He's useful if he can hit like he's done for the past couple of years... He'd probably be the best bat off the bench if he were to make the team.

I'm glad the distinction between Gload's value to a team that needs a backup 1B and his value to the Sox is being made.

Like others have said, it isn't that Gload isn't a useful player to have on the bench for only $350,000, it's that he isn't useful to a team as deep at 1B as the Sox are.

IMO, the utility in keeping Borchard around is much greater than the utility in keeping Gload around.

QUOTE(CWSGuy406 @ Feb 23, 2006 -> 04:20 PM)
He's useful if he can hit like he's done for the past couple of years...  He'd probably be the best bat off the bench if he were to make the team.

Agreed. I don't know why people hate Gload so much. Yeah, he can't play the outfield. But he has some good value. A bench of Mack, Ozuna, Widger and Gload would easily trump the 05 Bench. Sorry Willie Harris fans.

QUOTE(chitownsportsfan @ Feb 23, 2006 -> 04:21 PM)
I'm glad the distinction between Gload's value to a team that needs a backup 1B and his value to the Sox is being made. 

Like others have said, it isn't that Gload isn't a useful player to have on the bench for only $350,000, it's that he isn't useful to a team as deep at 1B as the Sox are.

IMO, the utility in keeping Borchard around is much greater than the utility in keeping Gload around.

Well, for me, I don't want Thome playing first base. Anything that can increase his chances of playing a full season is good. He should strictly be a DH. So Gload could be the back-up first baseman. Let Mack handle all the other positions.

QUOTE(Jordan4life_2006 @ Feb 23, 2006 -> 05:23 PM)
Agreed.  I don't know why people hate Gload so much.  Yeah,  he can't play the outfield.  But he has some good value.  A bench of Mack,  Ozuna,  Widger and Gload would easily trump the 05 Bench.  Sorry Willie Harris fans.

I like Gload, but your bench can't just be about bats. With the Sox likely to carry 12 pitchers, you only have 4 bench spots to cover the diamond. Widger, Mack and Ozuna are your 3 in. Who is the fourth? He needs to play OF, and Gload doesn't seem to be that good out there. Do you want Gload playing OF 2 or 3 times a week? Because that is what that roster slot would be doing.

But like I said, if he shows up in camp and can show he is defensively at the same level or similar to Borch in the OF, then I'm all for keeping him instead of Borch. I just think that is unlikely.

QUOTE(Jordan4life_2006 @ Feb 23, 2006 -> 05:28 PM)
Well,  for me,  I don't want Thome playing first base.  Anything that can increase his chances of playing a full season is good.  He should strictly be a DH.  So Gload could be the back-up first baseman.  Let Mack handle all the other positions.

Thome is an excellent defensive 1B, and most players hit better when playing a position. Plus, I bet Thome is happier getting a few games in on the field.

QUOTE(NorthSideSox72 @ Feb 23, 2006 -> 04:29 PM)
I like Gload, but your bench can't just be about bats.  With the Sox likely to carry 12 pitchers, you only have 4 bench spots to cover the diamond.  Widger, Mack and Ozuna are your 3 in.  Who is the fourth?  He needs to play OF, and Gload doesn't seem to be that good out there.  Do you want Gload playing OF 2 or 3 times a week?  Because that is what that roster slot would be doing.

But like I said, if he shows up in camp and can show he is defensively at the same level or similar to Borch in the OF, then I'm all for keeping him instead of Borch.  I just think that is unlikely.

A lot will depend on if the Sox go with 11 or 12 pitchers. That's true. I wanna see how both Borchard and Gload perform during the spring before saying who should get the spot. If Borchard hits .150, I don't care that he can play the of, he shouldn't be on the team.

QUOTE(NorthSideSox72 @ Feb 23, 2006 -> 04:31 PM)
Thome is an excellent defensive 1B, and most players hit better when playing a position.  Plus, I bet Thome is happier getting a few games in on the field.

True. But he is 35 and at a greater risk for injuries. I want him at DH for most if not the whole season.

This roster spot between Gload/Borchard is going to be seeing the OF 2/3 times a week? God, I hope not.

I hear your point on the injury risk with Thome playing 1B Jordan. I don't think it's enough of a concern to give much merit to though, in light of the other roster needs. It is something to be taken into consideration though for sure.

QUOTE(GreatScott82 @ Feb 23, 2006 -> 04:49 PM)
Should be a great battle between Gload and Borchard for that final OF spot. It can go either way. ST will be interesting this year.

In the cages, perhaps. As soon as they start trying to catch a ball and hit the cut off man, the contest is over.

QUOTE(NorthSideSox72 @ Feb 23, 2006 -> 04:29 PM)
I like Gload, but your bench can't just be about bats.  With the Sox likely to carry 12 pitchers, you only have 4 bench spots to cover the diamond.  Widger, Mack and Ozuna are your 3 in.  Who is the fourth?  He needs to play OF, and Gload doesn't seem to be that good out there.  Do you want Gload playing OF 2 or 3 times a week?  Because that is what that roster slot would be doing.

But like I said, if he shows up in camp and can show he is defensively at the same level or similar to Borch in the OF, then I'm all for keeping him instead of Borch.  I just think that is unlikely.

I cant even express how much I agree with this post.

I really hope Ozzie has some sort of indication that Gload can make throws from the outfield before making this declaration that he is on the team as of right now.

If Gload can indeed prove he can throw and his shoulder is healthy, I definitely want him over Borchard.

If not, get rid of him.

I don't buy the fact that Ross is useless for this team. We have guys that can play all over the diamond already, Ross would be our best or 2nd best bat off the bench if he makes the team...how is that useless? Before you tell me it's because he can only play first well we already have two guys who can play the of and two guys that can play the infield, and then of course the Widge. I'd take Ross over Borchard without question.