• Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Oh Carl....

Mariners Notebook: Fireworks in Hargrove's office

DH Everett, manager exchange unpleasantries after loss to Angels

By JOHN HICKEY

P-I REPORTER

It wouldn't be the Fourth of July without fireworks, and so it was for the Mariners on Tuesday.

About 45 minutes after the game, designated hitter Carl Everett went into the office of Seattle manager Mike Hargrove, and serious shouting ensued behind the closed door, most of it from Everett, who has been unhappy to see his playing time decrease.

He was lifted for a pinch hitter, newcomer Eduardo Perez, as the last batter in the ninth inning of Tuesday's 14-6 loss to the Angels.

Hargrove declined to talk about the confrontation, saying all player-manager conversations in the manager's office are confidential.

Relaying a message through a team spokesperson, Everett said he didn't have anything to say.

I think this is thread worthy, But Ill post it in here first anyway.

Orlando Cabrera has reached base safely 63 consecutive games. Very impressive.

QUOTE(My Dixie Normus @ Jul 6, 2006 -> 12:15 AM)
After giving up six runs in four innings to the New York Mets, Toronto pitcher Josh Towers owns an ERA of 9.11. Towers was sent down by Toronto shortly after that game.

:huh:

:o

Sammy Sosa reportedly told a Korean newspaper that he is not retired and may play in the majors again next season.

"I am not retired,'' Sosa said. "I am waiting for my time, to see if it is a chance for me to come back next year. I am always ready." Unfortunately for Sosa, it's not simply a matter of him wanting to come back. Given that he's not even playing anywhere right now, it's unlikely that a team would want him more than they did this season.

The O's Designated OF Luis Matos for assignment and purchased the contract of OF Luis Terrero from Triple-A Ottawa.

1.) Why the hell would Sammy Sosa be talking to a Korean newspaper in the first place?

2.) Luis Matos is a pretty solid baseball player, the guy had a damn good 2003, is only 27 years old and can play all 3 OF positions. He wouldn't be a bad pickup, a change of scenery could do him well.

QUOTE(Kalapse @ Jul 6, 2006 -> 05:24 PM)
1.) Why the hell would Sammy Sosa be talking to a Korean newspaper in the first place?

Because when he "forgot" english in front of Congress, he learned Korean?

QUOTE(Kalapse @ Jul 6, 2006 -> 06:24 PM)

2.) Luis Matos is a pretty solid baseball player, the guy had a damn good 2003, is only 27 years old and can play all 3 OF positions. He wouldn't be a bad pickup, a change of scenery could do him well.

I agree. Might be able to get him cheap.

Wow the Braves have no pen to speak of. They went into the 9th at home leading the Reds 7-2, a 2 run single, and a pinch hit 3 run homer later, and we're tied going the bottom of the 9th. 18th blown save for the Braves, leads the national league.