2006 MLB Catch-All Thread

southsider2k5

QUOTE(WHarris1 @ Jul 19, 2006 -> 12:26 PM)
He thinks he's someone that can get a major league contract. And last I remember a ML contract makes more than a minor league contract. Can you blame him?

:crying

QUOTE(SnB @ Jul 19, 2006 -> 12:28 PM)
ITS HIS TURN NOW!

I made that same post and then deleted it. :P

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(WHarris1 @ Jul 19, 2006 -> 12:26 PM)
He thinks he's someone that can get a major league contract. And last I remember a ML contract makes more than a minor league contract. Can you blame him?

He's got about two teams left that will give him a shot (I think only three teams had interest in him during the offseason). So once the Rockies DFA him, he won't be able to get a major league contract.

QUOTE(fullcollapse @ Jul 19, 2006 -> 11:49 AM)
yeah, i figured you would know about this already. i was in ny earlier this year, they have t-shirts and stuff with melk man on them. i told some yankees fans the name was taken already. turns out they have never heard of herb.

Nobody knows him. That's truly a tragedy.

What's wrong with you, Milkman? From Wikipedia:

Willie excelled in the 2005 playoffs. He went 2 for 2 in the postseason with 2 singles, 1 RBI, 1 stolen base, and 1 run scored. He did everything manager Ozzie Guillen asked of him in the playoffs. There isn't a better word to describe Willie than clutch. Willie's phenomenal heart and will gave him the ability to successfully pinch hit for a single in game 4 of the World Series against the Houston Astros. Willie later scored on a single by Jermaine Dye later in that inning. The final score of the game was 1-0 and it was all because of Willie scoring the game winning run. Chicago fans won't ever forget his contribution to the White Sox and bringing a world championship back to a city that had been starved of one for so many years.

Wow.

And his facts:

Facts

Harris is one of three people to be from Cairo, Georgia and play Major League Baseball. The others are Ernest Riles and Jackie Robinson.

He was given the nickname "Peapod" by Ken (Hawk) Harrelson.

Willie's career playoff batting average is 1.000

Willie's career batting average versus Roger Clemens is .500

Willie's career batting average versus Pedro Martinez is .667

Willie's career batting average versus Greg Maddux is .333

Willie's career batting average versus Bartolo Colon is .500

QUOTE(Gregory Pratt @ Jul 19, 2006 -> 12:43 PM)
What's wrong with you, Milkman? From Wikipedia:

Wow.

And his facts:

Ha, touché.

To me, it just shows what is and has always been wrong with Willie. He thinks he's much better than he actually is. Remember how he wouldn't even play SS in winterball? And now he won't accept a demotion to AAA when he clearly isn't cutting it in the majors?

Greg Maddux - S - Cubs

A scoring change from a May 24 game against the Marlins has taken five earned runs away from Greg Maddux's record, lowering his ERA from 4.99 to 4.60.

Scorer Ron Jernick said he made the change after the Cubs appealed the May 24 ruling to MLB. The reversal also takes a hit away from Hanley Ramirez and gives Ronny Cedeno an error. Jul. 19 - 2:37 pm et

Never heard of anything like this before. 2 months after the game? Makes his ERA lower and better trade bait? lol

QUOTE(Brian @ Jul 21, 2006 -> 01:19 AM)
Gibbons sucks. Halladay got jobbed.

If the Yankees go on to win tonight, this might be the worst baseball day of the season so far. Not a single thing has gone right for the Sox today in regards to teams winning/losing.

QUOTE(redandwhite @ Jul 21, 2006 -> 01:25 AM)
stuck? Any White Sox fan in there right mind would take him in a heartbeat at those dollar amounts.

That would be true, but it will be interesting to see if he can stay healthy. Also, the Red Sox should do everything in their power to make sure he gets as many home starts as possible.

QUOTE(redandwhite @ Jul 20, 2006 -> 08:25 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
stuck? Any White Sox fan in there right mind would take him in a heartbeat at those dollar amounts.

Almost all his wins this year are against NL teams and teams that were seeing him for the first time.

Care to explain why team hit him so hard after they faced him once?

Jeff Brantley, considering his run of stupidity, said there should be no doubt that Schilling is the one American League pitcher that should be selected if you need to win a game. Isn't this the same guy who said Papelbon is the player he'd want on his team most, over Pujols?

QUOTE(fathom @ Jul 20, 2006 -> 08:44 PM)
Jeff Brantley, considering his run of stupidity, said there should be no doubt that Schilling is the one American League pitcher that should be selected if you need to win a game. Isn't this the same guy who said Papelbon is the player he'd want on his team most, over Pujols?

Yup. In other words, the Red Sox are unstoppable in his eyes..

QUOTE(fathom @ Jul 21, 2006 -> 01:02 PM)
There's some talk that the Padres and Red Sox are discussing a deal involving Mike Lowell.

I heard they were interested in Adrian Beltre instead.

Bill Bavasi (still one of the worst GM's in the game ATM mind you), would probably love to get out of that deal. Either way it looks like Kevin Towers is hellbent on upgrading at 3rd base. Hillenbrand makes sense for them if they can get him.

QUOTE(fathom @ Jul 20, 2006 -> 10:44 PM)

When they originally posed the question, which pitcher would you most want pitching in the big game for you down the stretch I knew immediately that Brantley would choose Schilling, it's sickening how predictable he is.

The Choices were (in order of how the voting should go):

Johan Santana

Roy Halladay

Jose Contreras

Curt Schilling

Mike Mussina

QUOTE(fathom @ Jul 20, 2006 -> 10:44 PM)

This being the same guy who said we weren't even gonna make the playoffs last year, not before the season...but when we started off hot.

What the hell happened to Jake Peavy? The guy is absolutely awful this year. He's getting rocked again, and is ERA is over 5 as of right now. That is absolutely horrible, especially in the NL in an serious pitcher's park.

How is this the same guy that posted ERA's of 2.27 and 2.88 the last two years while striking out more than a batter per inning?

QUOTE(ZoomSlowik @ Jul 21, 2006 -> 11:30 PM)
What the hell happened to Jake Peavy? The guy is absolutely awful this year. He's getting rocked again, and is ERA is over 5 as of right now. That is absolutely horrible, especially in the NL in an serious pitcher's park.

How is this the same guy that posted ERA's of 2.27 and 2.88 the last two years while striking out more than a batter per inning?

There's (^^^) tragedy...

...and then there's Russ Ortiz, giving up 6 runs to start the game without getting a single out. I didn't know it was possible for Leo Mazzone to make you worse, but Russ Ortiz has found a way.