2006 MLB Catch-All Thread

southsider2k5

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Wilson Betemit with a homer to tie it at 2 in the 7th in LA. Why the hell did Atlanta trade this guy for Aybar and sorry ass Danys Baez? Baez has been good for ATL, but they aren't making the playoffs and he will remember that he blows, and Betemit is a GREAT guy to have considering Chipper is hurt so much.

QUOTE(whitesoxfan101 @ Aug 8, 2006 -> 09:02 PM)
Wilson Betemit with a homer to tie it at 2 in the 7th in LA. Why the hell did Atlanta trade this guy for Aybar and sorry ass Danys Baez? Baez has been good for ATL, but they aren't making the playoffs and he will remember that he blows, and Betemit is a GREAT guy to have considering Chipper is hurt so much.

I know there have been talks about Aybar's attitude, but I really do like the kid as a potential player. Aybar is a couple years younger than Betemit, has very similar minor league numbers IMO (High 700's OPS), has higher batting averages in recent years, and much lower strikeout totals.

QUOTE(Gene Honda Civic @ Aug 9, 2006 -> 08:06 PM)
And none of them were for anything more than mediocre talent.

The Guardado deal was a great low risk, high reward trade. I can't believe some people actually thought Majewski was going to be a great fit with that team at that park. I still can't believe they gave up Lopez/Kearns.

QUOTE(fathom @ Aug 9, 2006 -> 03:31 PM)
The Guardado deal was a great low risk, high reward trade. I can't believe some people actually thought Majewski was going to be a great fit with that team at that park. I still can't believe they gave up Lopez/Kearns.

Yeah, and it's not like they needed Kearns anyways, what with the Hollandsworth acquisition and all.

The Reds would have been lucky to keep pace with the Indians if they were in the AL central. The NL is a horses*** league

QUOTE(Gene Honda Civic @ Aug 9, 2006 -> 03:42 PM)
Yeah, and it's not like they needed Kearns anyways, what with the Hollandsworth acquisition and all.

The Reds would have been lucky to keep pace with the Indians if they were in the AL central. The NL is a horses*** league

And that's why some of these moves might actually get them into the postseason.

QUOTE(Milkman delivers @ Aug 9, 2006 -> 03:59 PM)
And that's why some of these moves might actually get them into the postseason.

That doesn't make them good moves.

Krivsky's trades are the playing cards tucked under the soles of the Reds' shoes in the NL's tallest midget contest.

QUOTE(Gene Honda Civic @ Aug 9, 2006 -> 03:06 PM)
And none of them were for anything more than mediocre talent.

Well Bray is going to be good, and they haven't been stupid enough to rush up Homer Bailey yet, so I guess it could be worse in theory. But your right that the trades overall were bad and that the Reds aren't very good. The Reds have a shot at that division though if they win the next 2 nights with Harang and Arroyo vs. St. Louis.

QUOTE(Gene Honda Civic @ Aug 9, 2006 -> 04:18 PM)
That doesn't make them good moves.

Krivsky's trades are the playing cards tucked under the soles of the Reds' shoes in the NL's tallest midget contest.

I never said they were good moves. I said they might be good enough to get them into the playoffs.

QUOTE(Milkman delivers @ Aug 9, 2006 -> 04:24 PM)
I never said they were good moves. I said they might be good enough to get them into the playoffs.

and i think that is all krivsky wants. the reds have been bad for a few years now, and getting to the playoffs in his first year as gm will make fans happy and give him a little more breathing room. getting to the playoffs always looks good on the resume.

QUOTE(fullcollapse @ Aug 9, 2006 -> 03:01 PM)
and i think that is all krivsky wants. the reds have been bad for a few years now, and getting to the playoffs in his first year as gm will make fans happy and give him a little more breathing room. getting to the playoffs always looks good on the resume.

And seriously, with the pitching staffs in the NL...anyone who's pitching staff gets hot for about 2 weeks after making the playoffs has a legit shot to wind up in the Series.

QUOTE(Balta1701 @ Aug 8, 2006 -> 09:57 PM)
I know there have been talks about Aybar's attitude, but I really do like the kid as a potential player. Aybar is a couple years younger than Betemit, has very similar minor league numbers IMO (High 700's OPS), has higher batting averages in recent years, and much lower strikeout totals.

Braves management has been raving that they can't believe the Dodgers made that trade. They said Aybar is better, quicker, younger, etc and they even got Baez in the deal as well.

QUOTE(Chisoxfn @ Aug 10, 2006 -> 11:15 AM)
Braves management has been raving that they can't believe the Dodgers made that trade. They said Aybar is better, quicker, younger, etc and they even got Baez in the deal as well.

Betemit is a legit everyday major league 3B with some pop in his bat, whereas Aybar is an unproven attitude problem...and I'm sorry, but Baez is AWFUL. I just think the Dodgers got a great deal there.

QUOTE(whitesoxfan101 @ Aug 10, 2006 -> 09:18 AM)
Betemit is a legit everyday major league 3B with some pop in his bat, whereas Aybar is an unproven attitude problem...and I'm sorry, but Baez is AWFUL. I just think the Dodgers got a great deal there.

Baez is awful, but being awful still makes him the 2nd best pitcher in that Braves bullpen. If they were going to have any shot this year, they needed bullpen help, so I think they were willing to tolerate whatever they could get. And IIRC, Baez is gone at the end of this season anyway, and might net them a draft pick or two if they offer arbitration.

And we all know, sometimes an attitude problem disappears the moment you put a kid in the right spot. Bobby Jenks and AJ Pierzynski say hi.

QUOTE(Balta1701 @ Aug 10, 2006 -> 11:27 AM)
Baez is awful, but being awful still makes him the 2nd best pitcher in that Braves bullpen. If they were going to have any shot this year, they needed bullpen help, so I think they were willing to tolerate whatever they could get. And IIRC, Baez is gone at the end of this season anyway, and might net them a draft pick or two if they offer arbitration.

And we all know, sometimes an attitude problem disappears the moment you put a kid in the right spot. Bobby Jenks and AJ Pierzynski say hi.

You bring up good points, but first of all, even in that sorry ass NL, the Braves aren't going to the playoffs. I guess they like the 1st round pick or two they'll get for Baez and Aybar better than Betemit, but I have no idea why. Even if his attitude is better, I think think Betemit is a better player than Aybar. And Aybar isn't a career .305 hitting defensive plus catcher and doesn't throw 100, btw :).