2006 MLB Catch-All Thread

southsider2k5

QUOTE(Punch and Judy Garland @ Aug 21, 2006 -> 08:59 PM)
espn has an article up. I guess Gibbons was seen shoving Lilly in the dugout/clubhouse area after he felt Lilly showed him up by refusing to give up the ball. Gibbons was seen bloody later. The story hints that Gibbons might have made physical contact first. Although I felt the whole Hillenbrand situation was Shea's fault initially, perhaps there is a bigger issue with Gibbons than meets our Chicago eyes.

Just saw the highlight, it will be interesting to get more details. I dont see Gibbons managing the jays next year, with this stuff and the way the jays are uneracheiving.

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(Jordan4life_2006 @ Aug 21, 2006 -> 11:58 PM)
I want to know why Lilly was so upset at being taken out. Dude gave up 7 earned runs in just over 2 innings of work.

We should trade for him. Ozzie would have let him at least stay for the 5th to qualify for the win.

Jered Weaver finally loses one (falls to 9-1), as the Angels lose 2-1 to Boston. Weaver actually pitched well, 6 innings of 1 run ball, and lowered his ERA from 1.95 to 1.92, but for some reason the Angels couldn't hit baseball's worst starter ERA wise since late April, as Josh Beckett pitched well. However Beckett had to leave the game with a "cut on his right middle finger", which doesn't sound good, especially considering his history with that finger and blisters.

Angels are now 5.5 behind Oakland, which is good. Despite our horrible history with Oakland, I'd rather see them in the playoffs than Anaheim and that ridiculous rotation. The only worry with the A's rotation overall is if Harden gets healthy, but he's becoming Ben Sheets/Mark Prior/Kerry Wood like in that department.

Edited by whitesoxfan101

QUOTE(jackie hayes @ Aug 27, 2006 -> 02:32 PM)
From the life-is-not-fair department: The Phils trade Vicente Padilla in the offseason, yet still somehow lead the majors in getting hbp.

That can be explained fairly easily, they did trade Padilla but at the same time they did acquire Aaron Rowand who has been hit by 18 pitches this year which is 2nd in all of baseball behind Ricky Weeks and his 19.

QUOTE(fathom @ Aug 28, 2006 -> 10:50 AM)
I give it about 3 months before he's named the Cubs manager.

Dusty to Seattle to replace Hargrove, with Girardi going to the Cubs to replace Dusty.

Wonder if Lou Pinella will get a job this off-season, especially if the Phils stick with Charlie Manuel.

Can someone find me a list of players who have put together hit streaks of thirty or better?

Willy Taveras just got to #30. Is he the worst player ever to have a hit streak of hit streak of 30 or better? I mean, it's pretty pathetic -- even with thirty straight games with hits, the guy is still only putting up a line of .284/.335/.345. Freakin' Scott Podsednik is doing better then that.

I still can't believe some people were willing to trade Jose Contreras for a package centered around him and Brad Lidge...

QUOTE(Cuck the Fubs @ Aug 27, 2006 -> 09:18 PM)
My brother told me the Marlins would want Zambrano and then flip him for some more prospects. Do you think the Cubs would really do that?? I don't.

Well I heard from the bum on the bridge at Madison Street that it would be far less.

I keed of course.

QUOTE(CWSGuy406 @ Aug 27, 2006 -> 09:14 PM)
Can someone find me a list of players who have put together hit streaks of thirty or better?

Willy Taveras just got to #30. Is he the worst player ever to have a hit streak of hit streak of 30 or better? I mean, it's pretty pathetic -- even with thirty straight games with hits, the guy is still only putting up a line of .284/.335/.345. Freakin' Scott Podsednik is doing better then that.

I still can't believe some people were willing to trade Jose Contreras for a package centered around him and Brad Lidge...

There have been more hit streaks of 30 or more games this decade already than in any other decade since the 1890's.

QUOTE(DBAH0 @ Aug 27, 2006 -> 10:36 PM)
Dusty to Seattle to replace Hargrove, with Girardi going to the Cubs to replace Dusty.

Wonder if Lou Pinella will get a job this off-season, especially if the Phils stick with Charlie Manuel.

If I was the cubs management, I would try my hardest to get Gardy from the twins. I think he is one of the most underrated managers in the game.

QUOTE(RockRaines @ Aug 28, 2006 -> 12:17 PM)
If I was the cubs management, I would try my hardest to get Gardy from the twins. I think he is one of the most underrated managers in the game.

There's something in the water in Minnesota. Friggin everyone stays up there.

I mean, how the hell did they get Santana to sign a 4/$40 extension AFTER he won the Cy Young? Given, I'm not sure he'd even hit arbitration yet, but still, that's friggin ridiculous.

Kelly was the manager from 87-01. I'm sure Gardenhire will probably be around up there till like atleast 2010.

As pesky and frustrating as Minnesota is...they run a first-class organization, and you see it reflected in the way the players play and the way the players stay. It's pretty remarkable.