Hypothetical question

Dam8610

Tuffy here.

You gotta go with a-rod if salary didnt matter...

Sox are worse at offense.

Sox have 2 major holes in offense, third base and centerfield (assuming brian anderson isnt huge).

Replacing crede, some1 who may leave next year, with the best hitter in baseball would be amazing.

However, felix, cabera, pujols, santana are also A2 A3 A4 A5 selections. A-rod being A1

• Replies 97
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Arod and King Felix, in that order.

Felix is focking amazing, I'd be surprised if he doesn't have a Dwight Gooden like season. For a 19 year old, he's got nasty stuff and control. If the Mariner are smart, they'll ride him for 200+ every year until he hits arbitration.

Arod because he's good for 600 PA's every year and because he hits focking unreal for a + defensive SS, cya Uribe.

QUOTE(Dam8610 @ Mar 3, 2006 -> 04:32 PM)
If you could take any player from any team and put them on the White Sox, factoring in age and ignoring salary, who would it be?

For me, it would be Felix Hernandez. A 19 (soon to be 20) year old pitcher who is that talented and already good enough to post a sub 3 ERA in the AL doesn't come along that often.

If anyone decides to post something like: "Who cares, it can't happen anyway", or something along those lines, here's your response: I told you in the topic subtitle that if you didn't want to answer the question to not even bother looking at the thread, so  :finger

Umm, Albert Pujols bar none. I dont know why you would have picked a unproven rookie when you could pick the best hitter in the game.

QUOTE(RockRaines @ Mar 5, 2006 -> 01:47 AM)
Umm, Albert Pujols bar none.  I dont know why you would have picked a unproven rookie when you could pick the best hitter in the game.

Because of his unbelievable talent, and the fact that he's only 20, so you could get 2 decades or more of solid pitching from him. As for unproven, he did go 84 innings last year with a sub 3 ERA. Not bad for a 19 year old. Pujols is great, but we have a 1B and a DH, so unless you want to move him back to 3B, Felix is the better idea IMO. Miguel Cabrera runs a close second though.

QUOTE(Dam8610 @ Mar 5, 2006 -> 03:42 AM)
Because of his unbelievable talent, and the fact that he's only 20, so you could get 2 decades or more of solid pitching from him. As for unproven, he did go 84 innings last year with a sub 3 ERA. Not bad for a 19 year old. Pujols is great, but we have a 1B and a DH, so unless you want to move him back to 3B, Felix is the better idea IMO. Miguel Cabrera runs a close second though.

Felix isnt close to the player that Pujols is. Pujols is the best hitter in the game. Felix isnt even top 20 for pitchers.

QUOTE(Dam8610 @ Mar 5, 2006 -> 04:42 AM)

You realize that with Pujols, you get a player that could break every homerun record there is, right? You also get the best pure hitter in the game.

QUOTE(RockRaines @ Mar 5, 2006 -> 10:10 PM)
Felix isnt close to the player that Pujols is.  Pujols is the best hitter in the game.  Felix isnt even top 20 for pitchers.

Felix isn't top 20 because he hasn't had the chance at the ML level yet. Give him a year or 2 in the bigs before you start putting labels on him. At 19, Pujols wasn't even close to the bigs. The only reason you can say he was a top 20 hitter from the start of his career was because he was brought up at the beginning of the 2001 season, and played everyday for the entire season. Give Felix the chance to play a full season.

QUOTE(Felix @ Mar 5, 2006 -> 10:47 PM)
You realize that with Pujols, you get a player that could break every homerun record there is, right?  You also get the best pure hitter in the game.

You do realize that with Felix Hernandez, you get a player that could break every pitching record there is, right? At the age of 19, he came up and baffled hitters with a 99 MPH fastball, a wicked curve, and a wicked change to the tune of a 2.67, a 1.00 WHIP, and a better than 3/1 K/BB ratio in 84 1/3 innings last year, and that was all without the use of his best pitch (a filthy 90 MPH slider, which the Mariners refuse to let him throw until 2007). So, am I going to take a 20 year old ace, or a 25 year old bopper in a game where good (or in Felix's case, great) pitching usually beats good hitting? I'm taking the 20 year old ace every time.

QUOTE(Dam8610 @ Mar 5, 2006 -> 08:21 PM)
Felix isn't top 20 because he hasn't had the chance at the ML level yet. Give him a year or 2 in the bigs before you start putting labels on him. At 19, Pujols wasn't even close to the bigs. The only reason you can say he was a top 20 hitter from the start of his career was because he was brought up at the beginning of the 2001 season, and played everyday for the entire season. Give Felix the chance to play a full season.

You do realize that with Felix Hernandez, you get a player that could break every pitching record there is, right? At the age of 19, he came up and baffled hitters with a 99 MPH fastball, a wicked curve, and a wicked change to the tune of a 2.67, a 1.00 WHIP, and a better than 3/1 K/BB ratio in 84 1/3 innings last year, and that was all without the use of his best pitch (a filthy 90 MPH slider, which the Mariners refuse to let him throw until 2007). So, am I going to take a 20 year old ace, or a 25 year old bopper in a game where good (or in Felix's case, great) pitching usually beats good hitting? I'm taking the 20 year old ace every time.

Could is the key question. It would be like a team trading Kobe Bryant for the rights to draft Lebron James. Everyone knew Lebron could become the best ever, but you know Kobe is one of the best ever (and yes I'm confident enough to say that despite the fact I hate him).

Felix could become one of the best starters ever, but he has a lot of things to do first. Albert Pujols will be one of the best run producers in baseball and aside from Bonds and Manny, is the best hitter in the game.

I happen to think Manny is the most prolific run producer to EVER play the game. He has such a pretty swing, power to all fields. His swing is a hitting coaches dream. The exact opposite of Vladdy's.

Thats over a long period, of course I've never seen anyone more dominant than Barry.

QUOTE(Chisoxfn @ Mar 5, 2006 -> 11:28 PM)
Kobe is one of the best ever (and yes I'm confident enough to say that despite the fact I hate him)

I'll take Iverson over Kobe anyday of the week, and twice on weekends :)

But yea, your post sums up what I think about Felix Hernandez and Albert Pujols.

Lot of good names tossed around here (and a few ???s). I think the two names that stick in my head are Carl Crawford and Johan Santana. Felix looks phenomenal, but unless he is superhuman, he should go through some growing pains like anyone else (physically and mentally). For the type of team and manager the Sox strive to embody, I do not think there are many names out there that stack up to Crawford and Santana. Ichiro is an interesting name too due to his all around play, speed, and ability to play sidekick to Iguchi.

QUOTE(Dam8610 @ Mar 5, 2006 -> 10:21 PM)

he could, he might, talent, talent talent. SOunds like Kerry Wood to me. I'd rather take Pujols.

QUOTE(3E8 @ Mar 5, 2006 -> 10:47 PM)
Pujols just doesn't stack up to Carl Crawford.

lol

As far as hitters are concerned, without salary included, you have to take Pujols. You can't not take Pujols. He's friggin amazing. With salary included, I figure you have to take Miggy Cabrera. If we're talking about unproven talent at this point, I'm looking at Delmon Young.

For pitchers, with salary not included, you are taking Santana without a doubt. I long for the days when it was Cy Mays and not Cy Santana pwning the Sox - atleast with Cy Mays, the Sox had a chance in hell. If we are taking salary into account, you must take King Felix, regardless of unproven or proven.

I dunno, I guess this is just opinions, but those just seem like the most logical answers.

QUOTE(Beltin'Bill @ Mar 5, 2006 -> 11:43 PM)
Lot of good names tossed around here (and a few ???s). I think the two names that stick in my head are Carl Crawford and Johan Santana. Felix looks phenomenal, but unless he is superhuman, he should go through some growing pains like anyone else (physically and mentally). For the type of team and manager the Sox strive to embody, I do not think there are many names out there that stack up to Crawford and Santana. Ichiro is an interesting name too due to his all around play, speed, and ability to play sidekick to Iguchi.

I definitely wouldn't complain about getting either of those guys, but to argue against Felix by saying he might struggle isn't really a valid argument, especially when you look at his career. He's pitched since the age of 17, and has spent at least 1/2 of a season at every level from A ball to MLB. In that time, he's never posted a ERA higher than 3.30, and he's had great success at every level. Therefore, it'd be difficult to imagine him struggling, barring an injury that drastically changes the way he pitches.

QUOTE(RockRaines @ Mar 5, 2006 -> 11:50 PM)
he could, he might, talent, talent talent.  SOunds like Kerry Wood to me.  I'd rather take Pujols.

Kerry Wood has had arm problems throughout his entire career, and has never been as successful as Felix has. Again, Felix has pitched professionally since the age of 17, and in that time he has NEVER struggled, at any level. This includes a stint after he had an arm problem last year. He recovered, and still managed to post a 2.25 ERA at AAA Tacoma. I see the talent, I see the production, so all that's left, barring a bad injury of course, is 15-20 years of dominant pitching.

QUOTE(Felix @ Mar 5, 2006 -> 11:59 PM)
I don't know if this is a joke or not, but either way, I'm laughing pretty hard over here.

Look for my original answer on the first page or two, and you will be relieved to know I'm not abusing crack.

First five years: 40 hr/year, 45 2b/year, 124 rbi/year, .332 avg, 1.04 ops, never less than 590 ab's...

There is a right answer here.

QUOTE(3E8 @ Mar 5, 2006 -> 11:25 PM)
Look for my original answer on the first page or two, and you will be relieved to know I'm not abusing crack.

First five years:  40 hr/year, 45 2b/year, 124 rbi/year, .332 avg, 1.04 ops, never less than 590 ab's...

There is a right answer here.

That is about the only thing that would ever make me forget about Crede's mullet.