Official Big Ten Tourney Thread

• Replies 369
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(aboz56 @ Mar 10, 2006 -> 09:51 PM)
Updates, anyone...

Not so much the score, but moreso how the game is going...

MSU playing well?  ILL playing s***ty?

MSU has played decent. More than anything it has been Illinois playing terrible, Dee is off and forcing bad shots. And Illinois is giving up a lot of offensive rebounds. 9-18 from the FT line has killed us more than anything else though.

QUOTE(aboz56 @ Mar 10, 2006 -> 09:51 PM)
Updates, anyone...

Not so much the score, but moreso how the game is going...

MSU playing well?  ILL playing s***ty?

This has been the ugliest half of basketball I've seen in a while. MSU has been getting back breaking offensive rebounds, and it seems like its draining Illinois at the offensive end. A 5 point lead with 3 to go seems pretty damn huge, considering neither team has scored that many in the last 4 minutes.

Im still not sure if I witnessed defense or just horrible offense. I think im taking the latter, which is usually not the case. Well, I still thought MSU needed this game more than we did, still no excuse, but we'll be fine come tourney time, most likely a #3 best case though.

Well, the offense was a joke, the rebounding was a joke, the free throw shooting was a joke, and Michigan State wanted it more. That's a bad combo, and I hope we enjoy the 3 seed we get instead of a 2 because of it. A micro cosim (sp?) of what went wrong this year in Big Ten play, and that's why we won't get a RS or Tourney trophy. Ah well, gotta regroup and get at it in the more important tournament.

Edited by whitesoxfan101

Also, Dee Brown should send 10 percent of whatever money he makes playing pro to Luther, Deron, James, and Roger....because damn is he overrated. There I said it Illini fans, crucify me. He's got the fame and the smile and the undeserved awards, but if he's not making 3 pointers, he's a below average player. He was our 4th best player last year and is our 2nd best player this year. He's been great for the school, but as a player he's overrated, by just about everybody.

QUOTE(whitesoxfan101 @ Mar 10, 2006 -> 08:02 PM)
He put himself and Mike Henderson onto every highlight show in the country.  I honestly don't really care who wins this game, these 2 teams scare me equally, but that dunk had me going crazy.

Holy s***. I just saw it, and wow :D

Amazing dunk :)

QUOTE(whitesoxfan101 @ Mar 10, 2006 -> 10:24 PM)
Also, Dee Brown should send 10 percent of whatever money he makes playing pro to Luther, Deron, James, and Roger....because damn is he overrated.  There I said it Illini fans, crucify me.  He's got the fame and the smile and the undeserved awards, but if he's not making 3 pointers, he's a below average player.  He was our 4th best player last year and is our 2nd best player this year.  He's been great for the school, but as a player he's overrated, by just about everybody.

I wouldn't say he's overrated, I'd say he's rated just right. Of course he is going to flourish with the supporting cast he had last year, and of course with the overturn in starters there are going to be struggles. But I want you to ask yourself something...would the Illini be as good a team as they are if D.B. wasn't running the offense?

QUOTE(MarlinFan84 @ Mar 11, 2006 -> 12:05 AM)
I wouldn't say he's overrated, I'd say he's rated just right.  Of course he is going to flourish with the supporting cast he had last year, and of course with the overturn in starters there are going to be struggles.  But I want you to ask yourself something...would the Illini be as good a team as they are if D.B. wasn't running the offense?

If you simply remove Brown from the equation, then yes, they suck. But if you replace him with another highly hyped underacheiver like Daniel Gibson or Jordan Farmar, they're about the same, or maybe even a little bit better. If you replaced him with a less hyped player that produces a little more consistently like Daniel Horton or Marcus Williams, you're also probably in the same position.

Bruce was as mad as I've ever heard him postgame, and with good reason. Talked about exactly what Illini fans are thinking, which is that we had a shot at winning the league, and didn't take care of buisness, and we had a shot to beat a very, very good team for a 3rd time, and didn't take care of business. That game just pisses me off so much, MSU wasn't on their game and we still couldn't get the win. Ugh.

QUOTE(Rex Hudler @ Mar 10, 2006 -> 11:26 PM)
Ha!  You obviously didn't see the Indiana/Wisconsin game today.

Haha, no no, I did see it. Im coming from the point of view of an Illini fan, so in my mind it was worse. But you are correct, the first half of that Indiana/Wisky game was quite brutal... 0 assists for both teams!!! :puke

I didn't get to see the game. Looks like I was fortunate. You never really know which Illini team is gonna show up. There's really nobody on this team that's consistent. Dee either goes 9 for 15 or 2 for 13. There's no inbetween with him. Auggy is inconsistent. The rest of the guys are inconsistent. So you a night like last night is what you get.

QUOTE(whitesoxfan101 @ Mar 10, 2006 -> 10:24 PM)
Also, Dee Brown should send 10 percent of whatever money he makes playing pro to Luther, Deron, James, and Roger....because damn is he overrated.  There I said it Illini fans, crucify me.  He's got the fame and the smile and the undeserved awards, but if he's not making 3 pointers, he's a below average player.  He was our 4th best player last year and is our 2nd best player this year.  He's been great for the school, but as a player he's overrated, by just about everybody.

I wouldn't go that far. But he's definitely not the player I thought he was gonna become.