The Ross Gload Trade Countdown

AddisonStSox

QUOTE(AddisonStSox @ Mar 8, 2006 -> 02:41 PM)
Keith, when I was going over the roster an hour or two ago, I'm came up with 23 as well.

For me, that's adding up to 25.  That look about right to anyone else?

Those are the numbers I've been tracking. It's possible something could change, for example...I didn't see "The Widge" coming as a backup until he was named the backup over Davis and Burke last year, so it's always possible there could be a surprise.

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(AddisonStSox @ Mar 8, 2006 -> 02:41 PM)
Keith, when I was going over the roster an hour or two ago, I'm came up with 23 as well.

C-Pierzynski

1B-Konerko

2B-Iguchi

SS-Uribe

3B-Crede

RF-Dye

CF-Anderson

LF-Podsednik

DH-Thome

Bench: Widger, Mackowiak, Cintron, Ozuna, Borchard/Gload

SP Buehrle

SP Garcia

SP Contreras

SP Garland

SP Vazquez

CP Jenks

RP Hermanson

RP Politte

RP McCarthy

LP Cotts

LP Lopez/"Competition" Winner

For me, that's adding up to 25.  That look about right to anyone else?

That looks right. For those that thing Ozuna will be dropped, let me just point out one thing. His biggest assets are his speed and bunting ability, which is something Ozzie breaches. Cintron is not fast. He may not be slow, but Ozuna is the fastest guy on this club (Pods is not faster).

One thing I'd say is that the 11th spot in the pen will be Lopez, another lefty or potentially Sean Tracey (Tim Redding as well).

Borchard should be the front runner with Gload in 2nd and Owens as the sleeper.

I agree that Ozuna's only useful attribute to us is his speed. And I don't think we should underestimate that. With the exception of Pods, our lineup is filled with guys with decent to below-average speed. If he's kept on the team simply to steal a base in the late innings, I think he warrants a spot. Just adds another dimension to the bench.

QUOTE(KevHead0881 @ Mar 8, 2006 -> 04:50 PM)
I agree that Ozuna's only useful attribute to us is his speed.  And I don't think we should underestimate that.  With the exception of Pods, our lineup is filled with guys with decent to below-average speed.  If he's kept on the team simply to steal a base in the late innings, I think he warrants a spot.  Just adds another dimension to the bench.

I don't know... Thome scored from first on a double yesterday. The last time Frank did that, Clinton was in office. We're speed demons now!

QUOTE(RockRaines @ Mar 8, 2006 -> 05:00 PM)
I dont understand the debate about the roster.  It seems pretty set from what I see.  Borch gets final position player spot.  Lopez is the loogy, and play ball.

Cut from the same cloth, we are, Rock. ;)

QUOTE(Chisoxfn @ Mar 8, 2006 -> 05:46 PM)
Ozuna is the fastest guy on this club (Pods is not faster). 

I've read this twice today, but I still don't believe it. Is there anything to back up your claim?

QUOTE(Felix @ Mar 8, 2006 -> 03:08 PM)
I've read this twice today, but I still don't believe it.  Is there anything to back up your claim?

Only my eyes. I don't have any 40 times, but Harris was faster than Pods and I know I've heard a few people close to the org mention that Pablo is now the fastest player on the team.

QUOTE(AddisonStSox @ Mar 8, 2006 -> 03:02 PM)
Cut from the same cloth, we are, Rock. ;)

Wait, so how exactly do you make a cloth out of rock? Asbestos fibers? Cause if that's the case, you both are in trouble.

Edited by Balta1701

My guess is Ozuna is the odd man out. Pablo is not that steady as an infielder. Gload can offer some power and can play DH-IB and the corner OF spots. Borchard is a switch hitter with power and can play all OF spots. Gload is a very good defensive IBman and Borchard is a good OF'er while Pablo is in my opinion anyway a below average defensive player when you put him at 3B or SS. Cintron will be a steady defensive player in the infield and Mac is the same plus they both bring some lumber with them to the plate. Ozuna is out.

I'll put my money on Gload for the final spot over Borch, and here is why...

1. The attitude problem thing with Gload is a non-issue. If it was an issue, Ozzie wouldn't be talking him up. And frankly, Borch has said a lot more things in the category of attitide problem than Gload has. And, as Charlotte folks point out, they both bring a decent attitude.

2. Gload has proven he can hit at the major league level. Borch has not.

3. Borch has more trade value, due in part to name recognition and very high claimed potential. He is much more likely to be traded than Gload.

These things outweigh the one big negative for Gload - lack of arm strength. And after his shoulder surgery, we'll see how the arm is.

Your 2006 bench:

Widger

Ozuna

Mack

Cintron

Gload

I still see Gload being kept over Borchard. Having Thome out there at 1b pulling a Frank [a season ending injury playing the field] is one of the biggest reasons. Keep Thome fresh [and PK for that matter] by having a real defensive replacement

QUOTE(Chisoxfn @ Mar 8, 2006 -> 05:10 PM)
I've spent some time a couple different seasons in Charlotte.  At the time both Gload and Borchard were there.  I should make something real clear but those are about the only two players (along with Dan Wright and Arow) that were really commended for the effort and attitude they brought to the stadium each and every day. 

I'm not saying Bmac and other guys didn't do this, cause they weren't there long, but both Borch and Gload have spent considerable time there and both were characterized as great individuals and team players. 

The fact is Gload was stuck in a power position. He should play somewhere in the major leagues, but who knows if that will happen.  He, nor Borchard have any sort of attitude problem.  As far as Borch goes, he's one of the kindest and nicest humans around.

Thank you. It's amazing what unfounded BS gets started on websites and then is taken as the truth and repeated by so many people.

The only reason soxtalk thinks Gload has an attitude problem is because a member here totally misinterpreted something Gload said in the locker room and decided to start a thread calling him out on not being a team player.

QUOTE(3E8 @ Mar 9, 2006 -> 02:08 AM)
The only reason soxtalk thinks Gload has an attitude problem is because a member here totally misinterpreted something Gload said in the locker room and decided to start a thread calling him out on not being a team player.

and cuz he ain't a cutie like Timo. :wub:

QUOTE(jphat007 @ Mar 8, 2006 -> 08:21 PM)
Like I said, no way Ozuna is going anywhere.

Story on Cintron and Roster situation

Actions speak louder than words.

I will wait and see in three weeks... carrying three players that all do the same exact thing (ozuna is by far the worst out of cintron and mackowiak). He went over a week last year that he did not get the ball out of the infield... and his defense is just acceptable.

Ideally this team still needs a power hitting right handed bat off the bench.

Btw balta, how can you say gload is behind two first baseman this year?

QUOTE(KevHead0881 @ Mar 8, 2006 -> 05:50 PM)
I agree that Ozuna's only useful attribute to us is his speed.  And I don't think we should underestimate that.  With the exception of Pods, our lineup is filled with guys with decent to below-average speed.  If he's kept on the team simply to steal a base in the late innings, I think he warrants a spot.  Just adds another dimension to the bench.

Ozuna's speed was a huge part of Game 2 of the ALCS. Plus he had some decent at-bats against Johan last year as well.

QUOTE(q\/\/3r+y @ Mar 8, 2006 -> 09:22 PM)
Btw balta, how can you say gload is behind two first baseman this year?

It's been said repeatedly by our management folks that JT will play 1b once or twice a week this year, with Konerko either DHing or getting the day off. That's 2 first basemen. I don't want Thome there full time obviously, but the extra rest for Konerko will probably do wonders for him. Sure helped when he got offdays last year.

QUOTE(Balta1701 @ Mar 8, 2006 -> 11:30 PM)
It's been said repeatedly by our management folks that JT will play 1b once or twice a week this year, with Konerko either DHing or getting the day off.  That's 2 first basemen.  I don't want Thome there full time obviously, but the extra rest for Konerko will probably do wonders for him.  Sure helped when he got offdays last year.

I seriously doubt thome plays first that often. One it will risk injury and for two if they want to keep konerko happy ( they did just give him 78349689346 dollars after all) they better be playing him at first. Konerko doesn't like off days and likes it even less when he is not playing first. As do most first baseman...