Gamethread 3/29: White Sox vs. Brewers

• Replies 233
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(Balta1701 @ Mar 29, 2006 -> 04:27 PM)
It's also not like we're trying to turn me into a lefty here.  Thornton's already got the big part down...thanks to some quirk of genetics, he's a lefty that pops 97.  Once you get that far, it's just a matter of getting the rest down.  The rest is easy compared to that part; you just have to have someone teach you how to do it.

I don't mean to be a wet blanket because I know we got Thome for this but... I just hope we're not forgetting small ball/Ozzieball/smartball, whatever.

Meaning: home runs are fun. There were tons of them. In 2004.

Having said that, it sure is fun to watch!

Um, Frank who?

:notworthy

QUOTE(LVSoxFan @ Mar 29, 2006 -> 04:33 PM)
I don't mean to be a wet blanket because I know we got Thome for this but... I just hope we're not forgetting small ball/Ozzieball/smartball, whatever.

Meaning: home runs are fun.  There were tons of them.  In 2004.

Um, Frank who?

There were a ton of them last year as well. This team can manufacture runs if Pods is healthy but we're going to hit homeruns as well.

QUOTE(LVSoxFan @ Mar 29, 2006 -> 04:33 PM)

Meaning: home runs are fun.  There were tons of them.  In 2004.

Um, Frank who?

There were tons of them last year too. And there will be tons of them this year too.

QUOTE(LVSoxFan @ Mar 29, 2006 -> 10:33 PM)

I think the more we play not to only score "one" run, the better our offense will be. I'll say this though....PK is going to hit into a ton of double plays this year (that's a compliment to Thome).

QUOTE(fathom @ Mar 29, 2006 -> 02:46 PM)
I think the more we play not to only score "one" run, the better our offense will be.  I'll say this though....PK is going to hit into a ton of double plays this year (that's a compliment to Thome).

Interestingly, Konerko's DP's were WAY down last year, from 28 in his awful 03 season to 22 in 04 to only 9 last year. Different people in front of him? Maybe some of it, certainly easier to double up Thomas than Podsednik, but 22 to 9 is a pretty darn massive drop IMO.

QUOTE(Balta1701 @ Mar 29, 2006 -> 10:50 PM)
Interestingly, Konerko's DP's were WAY down last year, from 28 in his awful 03 season to 22 in 04 to only 9 last year.  Different people in front of him?  Maybe some of it, certainly easier to double up Thomas than Podsednik, but 22 to 9 is a pretty darn massive drop IMO.

I think Thome's going to get on a lot more than Everett and Frank did in the 3rd spot last season. My comment wasn't meant to knock PK at all. If there's a guy on first, and he hits a grounder on the infield, it's likely going to be a DP.

QUOTE(fathom @ Mar 29, 2006 -> 02:54 PM)
I think Thome's going to get on a lot more than Everett and Frank did in the 3rd spot last season.  My comment wasn't meant to knock PK at all.  If there's a guy on first, and he hits a grounder on the infield, it's likely going to be a DP.

Oh on that I agree with you and I think his numbers will go up this season, I'm just saying I think there was more to the drop in Konerko's DP numbers than just who was hitting in front of him...and that changing who hits in front of him might not be enough on its own to bring him all the way back up to that 20 DP level. I would guess he's still learned a few things about how to avoid grounding in to those during those situations, and that helped lower his numbers each of the last 2 years as well.