2005 Sox Players

hi8is

QUOTE(RME JICO @ Apr 5, 2006 -> 04:34 AM)
El Duque starts today for ARZ.  Aaron plays vs STL.

-Hernandez had good velocity on his pitches tonight. I caught several innings on the free MLB package. Appeared healthy from what I witnessed. His line against Colorado:

5IP, 6 hits, 2BB, 8 K's, 1 ER

-Vizcaino pitched to one batter and struck him out

• Replies 136
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(Flash Tizzle @ Apr 5, 2006 -> 08:33 PM)
-Hernandez had good velocity on his pitches tonight. I caught several innings on the free MLB package. Appeared healthy from what I witnessed. His line against Colorado:

5IP, 6 hits, 2BB, 8 K's, 1 ER

-Vizcaino pitched to one batter and struck him out

El Duque did look good last night and his fastballs were touching hte 90's. But he looked good for us last year a couple times, especially starting the season or coming off the DL when he was rested. Arizona has to hope he's more recovered from his shoulder problems.

And Oakland has started Thomas 3 games in a row. In my mind, unless you don't want to have to pay him the incentives because he's hurt, this is insanity, and I don't care who you're playing or how bad your lineup looks without him. Frank should rest at least 1/3 games, otherwise you're just playing with fire.

QUOTE(Balta1701 @ Apr 6, 2006 -> 09:43 AM)
El Duque did look good last night and his fastballs were touching hte 90's.  But he looked good for us last year a couple times, especially starting the season or coming off the DL when he was rested.  Arizona has to hope he's more recovered from his shoulder problems.

And Oakland has started Thomas 3 games in a row.  In my mind, unless you don't want to have to pay him the incentives because he's hurt, this is insanity, and I don't care who you're playing or how bad your lineup looks without him.  Frank should rest at least 1/3 games, otherwise you're just playing with fire.

But he's in his prime!

QUOTE(Balta1701 @ Apr 6, 2006 -> 09:43 AM)
El Duque did look good last night and his fastballs were touching hte 90's.  But he looked good for us last year a couple times, especially starting the season or coming off the DL when he was rested.  Arizona has to hope he's more recovered from his shoulder problems.

And Oakland has started Thomas 3 games in a row.  In my mind, unless you don't want to have to pay him the incentives because he's hurt, this is insanity, and I don't care who you're playing or how bad your lineup looks without him.  Frank should rest at least 1/3 games, otherwise you're just playing with fire.

What incentives would they have to pay him if he was hurt?

QUOTE(Jordan4life_2006 @ Apr 6, 2006 -> 01:47 PM)
What incentives would they have to pay him if he was hurt?

That question doesn't make sense to me, so let me clarify my remark:

The A's played Frank Thomas in all 3 games. This is a mistake. He will get hurt if they continue doing so. If Frank gets certain #'s of plate appearances, his salary will go up. Therefore, the only good reason I can see for them to play Frank in every game of a series is that they want him to get hurt, and thus avoid reaching the incentives in his contract.

QUOTE(Balta1701 @ Apr 6, 2006 -> 02:55 PM)
That question doesn't make sense to me, so let me clarify my remark:

The A's played Frank Thomas in all 3 games.  This is a mistake.  He will get hurt if they continue doing so.  If Frank gets certain #'s of plate appearances, his salary will go up.  Therefore, the only good reason I can see for them to play Frank in every game of a series is that they want him to get hurt, and thus avoid reaching the incentives in his contract.

LOL. I got you now. I didn't understand what you meant. I'll have to disagree with you. I think it's silly to think they're playing him in hopes that he gets hurt again.

QUOTE(Jordan4life_2006 @ Apr 6, 2006 -> 02:02 PM)
LOL.  I got you now.  I didn't understand what you meant.  I'll have to disagree with you.  I think it's silly to think they're playing him in hopes that he gets hurt again.

I think that's very silly also. Which is sort of the point...playing Frank every game of a series is equally silly.

QUOTE(hi8is @ Apr 3, 2006 -> 10:50 PM)
this thread will be used to track the preformance of former players who helped get the sox to a WS title last year.

April 3rd:

Rowand went 2 for 3 with a double

Marte gave up the lead and got his first BS

the big hurt, frank thomas is currently 1 for 2 in his first start for oakland. in his first at bat, he homered.

everett went 1 for 4 with a single

vizciano pitched 2 scoreless innings with 2 Ks

lets add as these stats continue to roll in, add more i missed today.

I saw the A's game on Monday night when they were playing against the Yankees. My reaction to see Frank's homer was happiness for him, but then a sudden feeling of missing him feeled my heart. I remember watching games where Frank always worked the pitcher on a full count. Gosh would Frank always knew how to make great contact with the ball. Well I wish Frank Thomas the best of luck in Oakland.

QUOTE(Balta1701 @ Apr 6, 2006 -> 02:03 PM)
I think that's very silly also.  Which is sort of the point...playing Frank every game of a series is equally silly.

Yep. If they purposely limit him to 110-120 games, the chances of him staying healthy are much higher.

I seriously doubt that the A's are intentionally trying to over-work him so that he'll get hurt and they won't have to pay him incentives. Then again, the morons that run this team blocked off the entire upper deck at the Coliseum in an attempt to try to force more fans to buy season tickets. So who knows that these idiots are up to.

QUOTE(White Sox Fan For Life @ Apr 7, 2006 -> 07:18 AM)
I saw the A's game on Monday night when they were playing against the Yankees. My reaction to see Frank's homer was happiness for him, but then a sudden feeling of missing him feeled my heart. I remember watching games where Frank always worked the pitcher on a full count. Gosh would Frank always knew how to make great contact with the ball. Well I wish Frank Thomas the best of luck in Oakland.

Yep, he's hitting the ball hard right now. He's also striking out and popping up a lot, meaning that he's trying to hit the ball hard. I miss Frank as well, but he doesn't seem to be interested in playing "Ozzieball" right now.

QUOTE(DBAH0 @ Apr 9, 2006 -> 04:59 AM)
Not really a good start for anyone there is it.

If Viz keeps putting up outing like that, it won't take long for the D-Backs fans to get into him.

Yeah, it looks like all the former Sox from 2005 are having the same problems as most of the current ones, the curse of Gamboa.