Marlins

Reddy

scored 10 runs of Andy Pettite today, currently leading 11-0 over Houston... Damn

i'm glad i have Josh Willingham on a couple fantasy teams.

But seriously, I think they have a shot - no not at winning - but at being a very good team, especially considering their average age is probably 23.

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

They have very little proven major league talent, so I doubt they're going to be very good this year or next. They're depending on youngsters like Hermida, Willingham, Jacobs, Ramirez, and Mitre to play fairly big roles, and few of those guys are really ready. However, they have some pretty good young players that might make them a threat in a few years. They seem to be hot right now, so they might rack up some wins before they fall off the face of the earth, like a more talented version of the Royals a few years back.

QUOTE(ZoomSlowik @ Apr 4, 2006 -> 07:51 PM)
They have very little proven major league talent, so I doubt they're going to be very good this year or next. They're depending on youngsters like Hermida, Willingham, Jacobs, Ramirez, and Mitre to play fairly big roles, and few of those guys are really ready. However, they have some pretty good young players that might make them a threat in a few years. They seem to be hot right now, so they might rack up some wins before they fall off the face of the earth, like a more talented version of the Royals a few years back.

Thing is unlike the Royals their young talent is actually talented.. They have some good prospects playing now, plus better ones in the wings..

They wont be good this year, but they will surprise some people and eventually here they will build something nice, wherever they will be..

Also, they should have beaten Houston yesterday too.. I watched the game and Houston did not deserve to win that game at all

QUOTE(T R U @ Apr 4, 2006 -> 08:56 PM)
Thing is unlike the Royals their young talent is actually talented.. They have some good prospects playing now, plus better ones in the wings..

They wont be good this year, but they will surprise some people and eventually here they will build something nice, wherever they will be..

Also, they should have beaten Houston yesterday too.. I watched the game and Houston did not deserve to win that game at all

The real difference between the two is that the Marlins have two All-stars in Cabrera and Dontrelle.

I think the guys the Marlins are playing are a little more green than the Royals though, even if they are more talented. Ramirez especially should probably still be in AAA this year, instead he's batting leadoff. Their pitchers are also a giant mystery right now.

QUOTE(Tony82087 @ Apr 4, 2006 -> 08:01 PM)
Its really a shame for the entire franchise. The players. The city. The fans.

They cant get anyone out to the ballpark, the die hards have to suffer through years like this, yet they seem to know how to make a small $$ team into a great one within 4-5 years. If they stay the course with the kids they have now, while adding some vets, they could be great in 4, 5 years.

Its too bad a team like Cinny or KC cant be run like this. The Marlins are a very solid franchise in my book. Its a shame Miami cant support them.

Miami has terrible fan support for all sports

but, if they move to San Antonio.. I think they would thrive

QUOTE(Tony82087 @ Apr 4, 2006 -> 08:07 PM)
Put them anywhere. They once again have a solid core that a place like Portland, San Antonio,Vegas, ect.

True, but I wouldnt wanna go to Portland.. The Blazers might move as it is.. Portland just doesnt seem like a good place for a professional team

San Antonio or Vegas, I think those would be the two best situations for them

QUOTE(ZoomSlowik @ Apr 4, 2006 -> 09:01 PM)
The real difference between the two is that the Marlins have two All-stars in Cabrera and Dontrelle.

I think the guys the Marlins are playing are a little more green than the Royals though, even if they are more talented. Ramirez especially should probably still be in AAA this year, instead he's batting leadoff. Their pitchers are also a giant mystery right now.

he's also 4-5 w/ a double and 3 ribbies...

who knows for sure. they wont be great, but they wont be the royals. i just think that they have such a good group of guys, even 4-5 years is long in my book, 2 or 3 and these kids will be kickin hard.

I think Mitre can be a solid 4-5 guy in the rotation eventually... Vargas has some potential and dont they have Pettit waiting in the wings. As for the offense I think the first 2 games define them perfectly... a lot of nothing or everything. But the offense should be pretty good as soon as next year with the talent the guys playing have.

QUOTE(T R U @ Apr 4, 2006 -> 07:09 PM)
True, but I wouldnt wanna go to Portland.. The Blazers might move as it is.. Portland just doesnt seem like a good place for a professional team

San Antonio or Vegas, I think those would be the two best situations for them

There have been marketing-type surveys on these sorts of things in cities that MLB teams have considered moving to, and in almost all the ones I recall, Portland comes out as being one of the top candidates in terms of "How interested would the people be" and "How would they support the team". No idea why, but that city seems to really want a baseball team. They really liked their basketball team too...before, well, you know.

2 things to remember. 1: Mitre looked good...against the Astros offense, that was a joke for much of the season last year. 2. The Marlins beat up on Andy Petitte...but how many guys have we seen surprisingly torched in the past 3 days? Garcia, Zito, Santana to some extent, etc. Some times people just aren't ready.

Mitre is going to be really good for them. He won't turn into Dontrelle, but all his pitches have movement, he throws low 90's, and he's a sinkerballer in the 2nd best pitching park in baseball. Should work out pretty well.

As for the team in general, they have a ton of young talent and more in the minors. In a few years expect this group to develop to something damn good, make a run, and be broken up. It's like a cycle, but hey it won them 2 titles in their first 10 years so something is working.

As for the personnel, the everyday lineup has people at almost every position that could be really good. Willingham and Hermida in the outfield are OBP machines with power, and Abercrombie in CF is a bit of a late bloomer who has a lot of tools. Cabrera at 3rd of course, Jacobs at 1B has all the ability be a stud, ditto for Ramirez at SS. The kid they play at 2B and Olivo at C are a bit iffy, but hey every team has holes. Their bullpen is loaded with all young, live arms besides Borowski basically, and their rotation which will end up Willis, Mitre, Vargas, Olsen, Moehler isn't too bad either.

If they can keep THIS group together, come 2008 or 2009 look out. Girardi is going to be a damn good manager IMO and will develop this group into something to watch.

Edited by whitesoxfan101

Marlins put up a surprising amount of runs today, mitre has always been a solid pitcher, he did well with the cubs when given the opportunity, Marlins should have one hell of a team in a couple years because of their youth.

QUOTE(ChWRoCk2 @ Apr 5, 2006 -> 01:46 AM)
Marlins put up a surprising amount of runs today, mitre has always been a solid pitcher, he did well with the cubs  when given the opportunity, Marlins should have one hell of a team in a couple years because of their youth.

Wellemeyer pitched well too. Oh man, if only Borowski and Welleymeyer could have nice years and then see Mi Train and D Train do well as starters. The pitching desperate Cubs watch 4 arms they gave up pitch well, how ironic it would be (and actually, I think another arm from the Pierre deal made their team too).

QUOTE(whitesoxfan101 @ Apr 5, 2006 -> 07:12 AM)
Wellemeyer pitched well too.  Oh man, if only Borowski and Welleymeyer could have nice years and then see Mi Train and D Train do well as starters.  The pitching desperate Cubs watch 4 arms they gave up pitch well, how ironic it would be (and actually, I think another arm from the Pierre deal made their team too).

Yeah they got a SP prospect from the Cubs too in the deal.

Florida aren't going to win a lot of games this season, I think a lot of teams know that. But they're not exactly going to roll over and die either. Their pitching isn't that bad, and if guys like Willingham and Jacobs can produce for them, things look a lot better for them.