2006 draft order

WhiteSoxfan1986

My Webpage

Sox pick 29th (no supplemental picks), I was thinking the world series winner automatically picked 30th like the NFL but it just goes by regular season record. I don't know exactly who would be available at #29, but one guy that could be is Luke Hochevar. He was a supplemental pick by the Dodgers last year and has yet to sign a contract (he is represented by Boras). His negotions got screwed up when he switched agents and then went back to Boras, and the talks had to start over. He would have been a top 15 pick had Boras not represented him, but ended up falling.

QUOTE(WhiteSoxfan1986 @ Apr 20, 2006 -> 01:42 PM)
My Webpage

Sox pick 29th (no supplemental picks), I was thinking the world series winner automatically picked 30th like the NFL but it just goes by regular season record. I don't know exactly who would be available at #29, but one guy that could be is Luke Hochevar. He was a supplemental pick by the Dodgers last year and has yet to sign a contract (he is represented by Boras). His negotions got screwed up when he switched agents and then went back to Boras, and the talks had to start over. He would have been a top 15 pick had Boras not represented him, but ended up falling.

Boras client = Sox not interested.

I still hope the Sox can somehow find a way to land Wes Hodges (although my guess is he goes in the teens) STUD!

QUOTE(Randar68 @ Apr 20, 2006 -> 02:48 PM)

I still hope the Sox can somehow find a way to land Wes Hodges (although my guess is he goes in the teens)  STUD!

Didn't the Sox draft Wes Hodges out a high school a couple of years ago? They have a histoy of redrafting players like they did with Chris Getz and Ricky Brooks.

QUOTE(maggsmaggs @ Apr 20, 2006 -> 03:00 PM)
Didn't the Sox draft Wes Hodges out a high school a couple of years ago?  They have a histoy of redrafting players like they did with Chris Getz and Ricky Brooks.

Yep, at the time he had broke his hammate bone and became a switch hitter because of it. The guy is a total stud.

I'm pretty psyched (even more than usual) about the draft this year since I have a friend who will probably be drafted, even though no matter what, he's going to college.

Anyway, he's the best hitter and pitcher on our team. He's probably more of a pitcher, though, in terms of his future. Right now, he's 7-0 with 100 k's in 42 IP. Not sure what his ERA is, but he's a lefty, so that helps his cause.

QUOTE(Jordan4life_2006 @ Apr 20, 2006 -> 02:22 PM)
Tizzle isn't gonna like this.  We won't be able to draft "our" Hernandez, Liriano, or Verlander.

Hey, if you're going to use Flashisms atleast get them right. :D

I realize our draft position over the last 10+ years hasn't helped, but more than this is our complete lack of Latin American scouting--where both Liriano (DR) and Hernandez (Venezuela) were signed.

As mentioned within numerous threads, name me the last legitimate prospect we've developed from Latin America? Carlos Lee? It's ridiculous how an area of the world producing such a large percentage of major leaguers cannot give us anything in over 12 years.

If you seemingly ignore scouting south of Texas, you never give yourself an opportunity to sign a Liriano or Hernandez. This is my concern. We're missing out on some amazing talent.

QUOTE(Flash Tizzle @ Apr 20, 2006 -> 06:41 PM)

I realize our draft position over the last 10+ years hasn't helped, but more than this is our complete lack of Latin American scouting--where both Liriano (DR) and Hernandez (Venezuela) were signed.

As mentioned within numerous threads, name me the last legitimate prospect we've developed from Latin America? Carlos Lee? It's ridiculous how an area of the world producing such a large percentage of major leaguers cannot give us anything in over 12 years.

If you seemingly ignore scouting south of Texas, you never give yourself an opportunity to sign a Liriano or Hernandez. This is my concern. We're missing out on some amazing talent.

I feel you. I'm just messing around.

QUOTE(Flash Tizzle @ Apr 20, 2006 -> 06:41 PM)

hey, what about paolo orlando. hes going to win ROY this year.

QUOTE(Flash Tizzle @ Apr 21, 2006 -> 10:41 AM)

Why do you think they just opened up a baseball academy in Venezuela, and are bringing prospects like Francisco Hernandez, Salvador Sanchez, Anderson Gomes and Paulo Orlando into the frame then?

I agree it's an issue that the Sox need to put more money into, but I think at least they're heading somewhere down the right path towards respectability on the issue.

QUOTE(dasox24 @ Apr 20, 2006 -> 06:29 PM)
I'm pretty psyched (even more than usual) about the draft this year since I have a friend who will probably be drafted, even though no matter what, he's going to college.

Anyway, he's the best hitter and pitcher on our team.  He's probably more of a pitcher, though, in terms of his future.  Right now, he's 7-0 with 100 k's in 42 IP.  Not sure what his ERA is, but he's a lefty, so that helps his cause.

yeah i never used to follow the draft, but now im in college and have a handful of buddies from our team that will likely get drafted and have already had a few.....not to mention i get to see a ton of great college players in the SEC ....100 Ks in 42 IP is unreal.....especially for a lefty...where is he from, and if you dont mind me askign whats his name?....and also wheres he gonna play college ball

QUOTE(WhiteSoxfan1986 @ Apr 20, 2006 -> 01:42 PM)
My Webpage

hochever i think will still sign before the draft ....he was arguably the best pitcher in the draft last year, right up there with pelfrey and hansen....ive seen him pitch twice and he looked good. I dont knwo that he or any college pitcher right now, (including miller and price) are worth what boras would demand for em

QUOTE(Flash Tizzle @ Apr 20, 2006 -> 07:41 PM)

Ordonez

QUOTE(dasox24 @ Apr 20, 2006 -> 07:29 PM)

That's crazy cuz I mentioned a post here a while ago a couple of buddies of mine are also probably gonna get drafted this year. Same thing though, I believe one is in college right now and the other is undecided yet. One is a pitcher and one is a hitter. Right now, I'm still trying to contact them since I'm not in college yet. Im gonna see if I can find a friends (the college one) stats on his school's website.

QUOTE(Randar68 @ Apr 20, 2006 -> 02:48 PM)

I still hope the Sox can somehow find a way to land Wes Hodges (although my guess is he goes in the teens)  STUD!

Agree...................... Boras = Forget it.

QUOTE(maggsmaggs @ Apr 20, 2006 -> 05:00 PM)
Didn't the Sox draft Wes Hodges out a high school a couple of years ago?  They have a histoy of redrafting players like they did with Chris Getz and Ricky Brooks.

Yes, they did. And coming out of the draft I said he was the highest ceiling guy they left un-signed, which included Donald Veal, Greg Moviel, and a few other very talented guys...

I'll see if I can find my post-draft report on him, because basically, 3 years ago, I called him a future first round pick.

QUOTE(Randar68 @ Apr 21, 2006 -> 08:22 AM)
Yes, they did.  And coming out of the draft I said he was the highest ceiling guy they left un-signed, which included Donald Veal, Greg Moviel, and a few other very talented guys...

I'll see if I can find my post-draft report on him, because basically, 3 years ago, I called him a future first round pick.

I remember you making that prediction. I think we were all dissapointed (can't say we were shocked) when Hodge didn't sign. He's a very very talented offensive prospect.

QUOTE(CWSGuy406 @ Apr 21, 2006 -> 11:16 AM)
What's the early read on this draft?  Deep?  Weak?  College hitting heavy?  High school pitching heavy?

Insanely heavy college pitching draft. There are a ton of stud collegiate pitchers out there this year.

QUOTE(Chisoxfn @ Apr 21, 2006 -> 08:00 PM)
Insanely heavy college pitching draft.  There are a ton of stud collegiate pitchers out there this year.

Im really hoping we find a guy with filthy stuff this year instead of just going after the guys with great control. Even Lumsden has a low 90's fastball... be nice to have a guy who can throw mid-high 90's and have another good pitch to compliment it. Even if he doesnt have great control we can work on that.

QUOTE(Tony82087 @ Apr 21, 2006 -> 12:05 PM)
Maybe re-stock the farm with the loss of Gio and Hag?

I am completely clueless with the draft this year...

I'm hoping for a pitching heavy draft by our org. Pitchers are always valuable picks because not only are they an expensive position at the major league level (meaning that you can save a lot of money if you can develop cheap minor leaguers), but they also are a key reason to why teams win (strong pitching is important) and because of both of these factors, good pitching prospects always have more trade value than good hitting prospects.

They think that this draft may see a record for collegiate pitchers taken. My hope is that Max Scherzer somehow slides big time. He's a hell of a pitcher (Mizzu) but has had some minor injuries this year. Mix that with him maybe fronting and asking for a lot of money (not ridiculous money) and who knows.

But thats probably a total dream. One guy thats on my radar as a early round pick (not 1st rounder) is Wes Roemer. He is not an overpowering pitcher but he has a good arsenal of pitches and pin point control (He went over 40 innings this year without a walk and has like a 77 to 3 strikeout to walk ratio on the season). Roemer is the ace of Fullerton (however he may not even be eligible for the draft cause I think he's a sophmore and very few sophmores are draft eligible).

UNC's starter (Miller, IIRC) is a lefty who is pretty much #1 on all draft boards right now. But you also have Ian Kennedy, Max Scherzer and quite a few other guys that are projected to go in the 1st round (Kennedy and Scherzer are both STUDS and Miller has a hell of an arm).

QUOTE(SoxFan101 @ Apr 21, 2006 -> 12:05 PM)
Im really hoping we find a guy with filthy stuff this year instead of just going after the guys with great control.  Even Lumsden has a low 90's fastball... be nice to have a guy who can throw mid-high 90's and have another good pitch to compliment it.  Even if he doesnt have great control we can work on that.

It would have to be a high schooler or a guy that really slid due to signability issues (Boras as his agent and we know we won't take him). In general you aren't going to find that type of guy at this spotunless he has AWFUL control or no secondary pitches or has outrageous demands.

Kenny doesn't seem to be the type of guy that wants to spend big bucks on a prospect since thats money he could use on the major league roster (ie giving a guy like Hochevar huge money at 29 may not be worth it to him). However we do need to invest money into the farm system, but I've long felt your better off getting some guys that slid from the early rounds (and taking them in the 5th-10th rounds) and offering them 2nd or 3rd round money as opposed to taking one guy at 29 who just has ridiculous demands.

its somewhat deep in pitching...at the college level...i woudl hesitate to say there are tons of studs in it...in fact most people are pretty down on this years draft. there is no clear cut number one...lookin like itll be miller or lincecum, but even those guys arent the studs like the priors, youngs, uptons etc.

Btw: this draft is very weak on position players

Edited by daa84