2006 White Sox Catch-All Thread

I love when I'm right :) (esp. in predictions)

Brian did it in the last game of the series

I should pull up that thread when I backed him (also pwned a poster which I don't like doing but it's a gift sometimes) saying he can keep his hitting per month (this month esp.) going and will improve each month possibly getting closer to/around .400 in a month.

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

another turn through the rotation and we have . . .

UP TO THE SECOND SP TRUST LEVELS:

1.) Jose Contreras - A great outing by Contreras in a huge game ruined by horrid timely hitting, he remains atop the the SP Trust Board.

-

2.) Jon Garland - Jon Garland continues his string of dominace with a brilliant twirl against he Tigers. In his last 6 outings Jon has allowed a total of 12 ER over 38.2 IP, he's allowed 2 runs or less in 5 of the 6 outings. Garland closes in on Contreras by a notch.

-

-

-

3.) Mark Buehrle - 22 ER (24 R) over his last 14.1 IP, that's 3 straight horrid starts. I hate him right now. Same spiff with Buehrle, he's going to need a hell of outing tonight to make any move on Garland.

4.) Javier Vazquez - Vazquez actually gains a little ground on Buehrle after pitching 5 great innings Vs the Tigers, only to implode in the 6th inning. It wasn't a very good outing at all but I feel better about him after it than before he pitched.

-

-

-

5.) Freddy Maddux - Brandon McCarthy looks pretty damn good right about now.

I'll do this:

UP TO THE SECOND BP TRUST LEVELS:

-

1.) Bobby Jenks - A 6.43 ERA in July is a bit of a reason for concern, but still, by far, the most dominating arm out of the pen.

-

-

-

-

2.) Neal Cotts - Forgot that he was good against everyone last year, not just righties. Still among the top tier setup men in the game, however. Can get a tough lefty out in a tight spot, but a little more vulnerable to getting hit around than last year.

-

3.) Matt Thornton - The owner of a crazy 0.79 ERA during a day. Ranks neare Cotts, except he tends to give up hits and walks a little more now than after he first broke through. Still better than Joe Borchard.

4.) Brandon McCarthy - Needs to be in the rotation. Struggles on the road, but an effective long man.

-

-

-

5.) David Riske - Would be higher up on the list if he'd throw strikes more often. Four walks and two hits in his last four appearances speaks to his nibbling ways. Reminds me of Freddy Garcia, except better.

-

-

-

-

-

6.) Sean Tracey - At the bottom until he actually plays. Was serviceable last time up.

QUOTE(Chisoxfn @ Jul 21, 2006 -> 09:52 PM)
Ya, I still go with Neal, especially since he owns Righties and lefties. Thorty is pretty darn good too though.

Is Thornton a FA after this year? If so, he's making himself a fortune.

QUOTE(fathom @ Jul 21, 2006 -> 06:28 PM)

According to Cot's, he's only got 1.129 years of service, so he's still under the team's control for awhile. I could be wrong though.

Edited by Felix

QUOTE(fathom @ Jul 21, 2006 -> 05:28 PM)

Actually I believe Matt Thornton is still an automatic resign, he hasn't even hit arbitration yet. Meaning he still has all of his arbitration years remaining. He'll be under Sox control for awhile.

QUOTE(Kalapse @ Jul 21, 2006 -> 03:32 PM)
Actually I believe Matt Thornton is still an automatic resign, he hasn't even hit arbitration yet. Meaning he still has all of his arbitration years remaining. He'll be under Sox control for awhile.

Making him an absolute steal for the Sox. Glad Kenny was able to get a guy with his type of ceiling for Borchard. These are the types of deals that Kenny is so good at. He'll take a guy without much value to the Sox and move him for a guy with a lot of upside who needs a change of scenery.

Aaron Miles for Juan Uribe

Trading for Damaso Marte (giving up Guerrier, whose now with the Twins to get him)

Trading for Thornton

Heck even when we got Cotts in the Koch trade we did pretty well on that name. But that was a bigger deal and obviously Koch didn't pay off for us.

QUOTE(BigSqwert @ Jul 21, 2006 -> 04:27 PM)
You never know with relief pitchers.

See Cliff Politte.

I agree, that said Thornton has the type of arm that as long as he throws strikes he should be in good shape (and stays healthy). The same can be said for Jenks and I really feel the same can be said for Cotts.

Many relievers have career years and they can just dissapear due to overuse but I think the real good ones stay relatively consistent and Cotts is a real good one, Jenks is a real good one and Thornton has the makings to be a real good one (we'll see if they can stay healthy though).

QUOTE(Kalapse @ Jul 21, 2006 -> 03:45 PM)
I checked that and I'm not positive it's right.

According to his Career stats he made his debut in 2004. 2010 would be 6-7 years later, which is the usual indentured servitude period in MLB (just depends on exactly what date he was first brought up, he pitched in 19 games in 04).

Here's how things are going now. The Sox were going to miss Bedard when we go to Baltimore next weekend. He was supposed to pitch tonight, and then he wouldn't have been going next Fri-Sun. Instead, he got food poisoning, and he'll pitch this Sunday. Now, he'll be facing the Sox next weekend. In order to avoid facing Liriano, we better hope for no rain this wknd in Cleveland.

Food for thought, tell me I'm a moron if you feel so:

I approve completely of the Thome trade cause I love Thome.

However, for Steff or whomever knows the players.

Do you think Rowand's loss kills our club's personality?

Was he one of those incredible guys in the clubhouse we miss big time?

Or would nothing matter with the way our starters are going?

I just wonder if Rowand's personality more than his bat/glove even

have been a vital loss to the squad.

Edited by greg775

QUOTE(greg775 @ Jul 21, 2006 -> 11:44 PM)
Food for thought, tell me I'm a moron if you feel so:

I approve completely of the Thome trade cause I love Thome.

However, for Steff or whomever knows the players.

Do you think Rowand's loss kills our club's personality?

Was he one of those incredible guys in the clubhouse we miss big time?

Or would nothing matter with the way our starters are going?

I just wonder if Rowand's personality more than his bat/glove even

have been a vital loss to the squad.

Oh no here we go again. Is this a team full of 14 year old kids who miss their mommy? Give me a break.

Squert I worded the question reasonably not like a mama's boy.

Why yu so upset?

I'm trying to figure out reasons we are faltering and just looking

for some answers from those in the know. Peace.

Edited by greg775