Carl Crawford

Sox1422

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 291
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(My Dixie Normus @ Jul 6, 2006 -> 12:39 AM)
This guy just stole home and he could have done it standing up. I would gladly part with Pods and Garland for him. He would be a fixture in left and at the top of the order for a long time. I hate to give up Garland and would rather deal Josh Fields if it could be done but...

They'd laugh at either offer. They have 0 use for Garland and even less for Pods. No BMac, no Crawford.

QUOTE(Big Hurtin @ Jul 6, 2006 -> 06:41 AM)
It's Tampa Bay, they'd probably ask for Contreras.

Tampa Bay has made its way by asking for the world for any of its players.....It worked recently 2 just look at Scott Kazmir and look at Victor Zambrano. They might be a terrible run franchise but ill give them credit they get back talent in their trades.

Although Im pretty sure they are under new ownership now so maybe they will be better..... 1 thing for sure is they need a new stadium.

QUOTE(SoxFan101 @ Jul 6, 2006 -> 03:18 AM)
Tampa Bay has made its way by asking for the world for any of its players.....It worked recently 2 just look at Scott Kazmir and look at Victor Zambrano. They might be a terrible run franchise but ill give them credit they get back talent in their trades.

Although Im pretty sure they are under new ownership now so maybe they will be better..... 1 thing for sure is they need a new stadium.

Chuck Lamar was the retard who basically refused to deal any of his players. Yes, that Kazmir trade was brilliant but imo the Drays could be in such better shape if he didn't ask the world for his guys. He's gone though, so lets see what TB does at the deadline this year.

Edited by Rowand44

QUOTE(Rowand44 @ Jul 6, 2006 -> 06:20 PM)
Chuck Lamar was the retard who basically refused to deal any of his players. Yes, that Kazmir trade was brilliant but imo the Drays could be in such better shape if he didn't ask the world for his guys. He's gone though, so lets see what TB does at the deadline this year.

Yeah since Gerry Hunsicker and Andrew Fredricksen took over, the D-Rays have made more good moves than not on the trade front.

Getting Howell and Navarro for Gathright, Hendrickson and Hall are 2 such examples.

They'll probably trade Huff at the deadline, and I'd imagine with the problems Young and Dukes have had discipline wise, they'll hang onto Crawford unless they're wowed by an offer.

QUOTE(fathom @ Jul 7, 2006 -> 02:20 AM)
The sooner the DRays can get rid of Dukes, the better.

Yeah he's got the talent to be a superstar, but with his mental makeup, there's no way he'll become that.

The D-Rays should attempt the move him when they can get the most for him. Plus they've got the likes of Crawford, Baldelli and Gomes in the OF already, so there's not exactly a spot open for him anytime soon.

QUOTE(DBAH0 @ Jul 7, 2006 -> 10:00 AM)
Yeah he's got the talent to be a superstar, but with his mental makeup, there's no way he'll become that.

The D-Rays should attempt the move him when they can get the most for him. Plus they've got the likes of Crawford, Baldelli and Gomes in the OF already, so there's not exactly a spot open for him anytime soon.

Gomes is more of a DH. And while he has a lot of power prospects like Dukes/Young are much more talented than him anyways.

QUOTE(Big Hurtin @ Jul 6, 2006 -> 01:41 AM)
It's Tampa Bay, they'd probably ask for Contreras.

Naw. He's too old and too expensive for thier likings, and even if we'd pick up the salary, they'd prefer B-Mac over him. They're young, and looking for young pitching.

Didn't want to start a new thread for this but found this very interesting and I have been clamoring for him forever!!

The Toronto Star reports that Vernon Wells, who has one more year left on his contract, could be moved by Toronto Blue Jays general manager J.P. Ricciardi. Ricciardi has locked up Roy Halladay, A.J. Burnett and B.J. Ryan, and also has Troy Glaus signed through 2009, perhaps leaving Wells out of the team's budgetary plans. More

Yahoo! Sports' take: Wells, the AL's starting center fielder in the All-Star game, would be a huge coup for a contending team looking to shore up center field. It seems unlikely the Blue Jays would deal their young star while in the midst of a pennant race, but perhaps they could be swayed with an offer that includes starting pitching. Just a guess here, but doesn't Wells seem like the kind of guy who would look good in a White Sox uniform? Chicago GM Kenny Williams will not hesitate to make a blockbuster deal if he thinks it could result in another World Series crown.

Yeah I saw that the other day.

Frankly I can't see him leaving Toronto. The new ownership has a lot of money to burn (hence why they signed Ryan and Burnett to huge deals) and I can't see them letting Wells just leave after the offensive year he's having.

Plus BA's doing fairly well for us ATM so CF hardly ain't a problem area for us anymore.

QUOTE(BigSqwert @ Jul 18, 2006 -> 08:36 AM)
I really don't think we need to improve the highest scoring offense in baseball. We have other needs.

No, the offense certainly is not the main concern as of now.

But anytime you can acquire a young superstar player, especially one as solid all-around as Vernon Wells, you have to at least consider it. Wells' inconsistency at the plate over his career bothers me a little, but I think in our stacked lineup he would be pretty dangerous.

This is probably more of a pipe dream than anything, but hey, Kenny has gone and done stranger things...

QUOTE(iamshack @ Jul 18, 2006 -> 08:41 AM)
But anytime you can acquire a young superstar player, especially one as solid all-around as Vernon Wells, you have to at least consider it.

Well if we don't have to give up any pitching and he'll play for the league minimum then lets go for it. Otherwise I don't see KW adding more $ to an already huge payroll just to add some more offense.

QUOTE(Tony82087 @ Jul 18, 2006 -> 08:53 AM)
With that said, I agree 100% that there are more pressing needs, and KW understands them. That is why Wells will stay in Toronto, or why the Jays will be able to restock the whole farm if they traded him..

There were more pressing needs last year than AJ Burnett too, but that didn't stop Kenny from nearly acquiring him. Our GM will look to any way possible to upgrade this team, and you KNOW he loves name players. He'll look into it. It may not happen, especially with us letting half the league back into the WC race, but he'll consider it.

Wells is a long shot, but with TB trying to get their young players up so that they can make a run soon, I can see them moving Crawford out of the way to get Young up, especially if they can get pitching back.

Heres the deal I see:

TB gets

Podsednik

Garcia

Tracey

Liotta

Politte

Sox get

Crawford

Sonnastine

Jackson

R. Lugo

Tampa would get an outfielder to hold down left for a season in the case their young stud OF's Young, Dukes, Leandro should falter, immediately add a number two and threw starter behind Kazmir in Garcia and Tracey, get Liotta who is close and will be up next year. Politte while he is has seem to forgot how to pitch, would still be an upgrade in their bullpen this season. Cliff would likely benefit from pitching in a lower pressure environment and would also be a good teacher for the young bullpen.

Sox would get Crawford who is Pods plus. Basically everything that Pods does well, CC can do better. He is the best defensive left fielder in the game, can play center when needed, has excellcent speed and has more power than Pods. Sonnastine would be a young pitcher that the Sox could move back into the farm system and bring along as needed. Jackson is the fireballer that never panned out for Dodgers, but I feel he would do real well with Coop and could slide into the setup role eventually. Rudy Lugo would fill the other bullpen spot left open by the departure of BMac to the starting rotation his numbers 44.1 IP 38 H 18R 21 BB 24 K 1-2 1.33 WHIP .241 BAA 3.65 ERA are not mind blowing but are prettt good for a middle reliever.

A couple of thoughts:

- Vernon Wells is a superstar. If you can get him, I have no problem giving up Fields, Anderson, and big prospects.

- Tampa doesn't want an outfielder in return for Crawford. They have a plethora of guys in their system.

QUOTE(fathom @ Jul 18, 2006 -> 06:52 PM)
A couple of thoughts:

- Vernon Wells is a superstar. If you can get him, I have no problem giving up Fields, Anderson, and big prospects.

- Tampa doesn't want an outfielder in return for Crawford. They have a plethora of guys in their system.

Completely agree on Wells. In Crawfords case I prefer a deal over the off-season. In both guys cases you are getting above average players who help you now and 5 years down the road and those are the type of deals where you should be willing to throw in upper echelon prospects to get things done.

Also to the poster who suggested that big deal with the Rays. Its nice on paper but there is absolutely no way the Devil Rays are about to take on Garcia's contract.