Cleveland is done

VAfan

At 6 games under .500 and with no pitching, Cleveland is done this year. They may hit their way back to .500, but they aren't going on any huge tear to get back into contention.

But, at .500, and with Santana and Liriano in the rotation, Minnesota is likely to put on a run and keep the pressure on. I'm not afraid that they'll catch us in the division, but I think they have a chance to win 90+ games. They might end up as the best team not to make the playoffs.

QUOTE(VAfan @ Jun 18, 2006 -> 11:53 PM)
At 6 games under .500 and with no pitching, Cleveland is done this year. They may hit their way back to .500, but they aren't going on any huge tear to get back into contention.

But, at .500, and with Santana and Liriano in the rotation, Minnesota is likely to put on a run and keep the pressure on. I'm not afraid that they'll catch us in the division, but I think they have a chance to win 90+ games. They might end up as the best team not to make the playoffs.

I've never feared Cleveland. If ever there was a team that got worse from year to year, it's them.

I didn't, however, anticipate Detroit, but we'll handle them.

QUOTE(VAfan @ Jun 18, 2006 -> 11:53 PM)

No chance in hell of the Twins winning 90 games.

Just copied this from knight's sig. About 3 months away from proclaiming Myself, Rowand, Greasy, and DBAH0 as geniuses. :) It ain't over yet, but it's looking good even though I didn't agree that the twins would win the WC.

Sig bet with Rowand44 12/29/05:

Finishing higher in the AL Central in '06:

Rowand44 - Twins knightni - Indians

Wanna side with me or Rowand44? PM me.

Indians: knightni, 3E8, rangercal, ScottPodRulez22, TheBigHurt, chitownsportsfan, rventura23, Felix,

Texsox, SoxFan1, santo=dorf, sayitaintso, Jordan4life_2006, TheDudeAbides, Steve9347

Twins: Rowand44, DBAH0, greasywheels121, SoxAce

PS - He also thinks that the Twins will win the WC. I say they could get passed by Detroit and fall into 4th.

QUOTE(SoxAce @ Jun 19, 2006 -> 12:12 AM)
Just copied this from knight's sig. About 3 months away from proclaiming Myself, Rowand, Greasy, and DBAH0 as geniuses. :) It ain't over yet, but it's looking good even though I didn't agree that the twins would win the WC.

Indians: knightni, 3E8, rangercal, ScottPodRulez22, TheBigHurt, chitownsportsfan, rventura23, Felix,

Texsox, SoxFan1, santo=dorf, sayitaintso, Jordan4life_2006, TheDudeAbides, Steve9347

PS - He also thinks that the Twins will win the WC. I say they could get passed by Detroit and fall into 4th.

Nobody could've foreseen the Indians' pitching being this atrocious. I knew it wouldn't be as good as it was last year, but this has been ridiculous.

QUOTE(SoxAce @ Jun 19, 2006 -> 03:12 PM)

I was just about to bring that back up. :D

On Minny's offense, yeah it's bad, but at least they don't have Castro and Batista in the lineup anymore. Boy can Joe Mauer hit though.

QUOTE(Jordan4life_2006 @ Jun 19, 2006 -> 12:09 AM)
No chance in hell of the Twins winning 90 games.

It's not that far fetched. Mauer is hitting .380, Luis Castillo was a HUGE addition to that offense and Brad Radke is better than a 5.50+ ERA pitcher. Santana, Liriano and a righted Radke isn't exactly bad, good enough to keep them in contention. I think they lack the offensive power to take the division over, but I don't think they are as light as they were last season. Add a bullpen arm to that team and 90 wins seems pretty reasonable to me.

The Twins and Indians even could contend if they were in the NL, or the AL West......but not here. They are in the "group of death", the division from hell, the midwest house of pain. Unless the Tigers for some reason forget how to play baseball, it's us and them. The Indians s*** pitching (ESPECIALLY in the pen) and the Twins lack of offense is too much to overcome what they are chasing.

I'd also like to point out that winning 90 means the Twins still finish in 3rd, btw.

QUOTE(Jordan4life_2006 @ Jun 19, 2006 -> 12:16 AM)
Nobody could've foreseen the Indians' pitching being this atrocious. I knew it wouldn't be as good as it was last year, but this has been ridiculous.

Exit Millwood, exit balance. I can't see how Cleveland didn't see that coming.

QUOTE(DBAH0 @ Jun 19, 2006 -> 12:17 AM)
I was just about to bring that back up. :D

On Minny's offense, yeah it's bad, but at least they don't have Castro and Batista in the lineup anymore. Boy can Joe Mauer hit though.

I looooove me some Joe Mauer (best catcher in baseball, I've said it a few times) but will he be able to keep up his prolific hitting for the rest of the season? He's still pretty damn young but those hot summer months tend to ware down catchers pretty bad especially with all the games he'll be catching in Chicago and Cleveland.

QUOTE(BobDylan @ Jun 19, 2006 -> 12:22 AM)
Exit Millwood, exit balance. I can't see how Cleveland didn't see that coming.

I still don't believe they knew how much of a loss Coco Crisp was. He really got them going in that lead-off spot. Nothing against Micheals (or even Sizemore leading off) but that was a HUGE lost. Crisp-Sizemore-Blake would have killed us (and every other AL team) defensively.

QUOTE(SoxAce @ Jun 19, 2006 -> 12:27 AM)
I still don't believe they knew how much of a loss Coco Crisp was. He really got them going in that lead-off spot. Nothing against Micheals (or even Sizemore leading off) but that was a HUGE lost. Crisp-Sizemore-Blake would have killed us (and every other AL team) defensively.

Cleveland had a terrible offseason.

QUOTE(BobDylan @ Jun 19, 2006 -> 12:18 AM)
It's not that far fetched. Mauer is hitting .380, Luis Castillo was a HUGE addition to that offense and Brad Radke is better than a 5.50+ ERA pitcher. Santana, Liriano and a righted Radke isn't exactly bad, good enough to keep them in contention. I think they lack the offensive power to take the division over, but I don't think they are as light as they were last season. Add a bullpen arm to that team and 90 wins seems pretty reasonable to me.

Twins' offensive rankings:

Runs=11th

Hits=10th

HRs=13th

SLG%=12TH

That's not gonna change anytime soon. Everybody knew they were gonna be offensively challenged this year. Yes, Santana and Liriano are absolutely filthy. But two reliable starters, even two as good as those, won't be enough. Radke, Silva, and Bonser have all been HORRIBLE. Unless they make multiple impact moves before the trade deadline, moves that net them more offense and another starting pitcher, 79-83 wins is the best they can hope for.

QUOTE(BobDylan @ Jun 19, 2006 -> 12:41 AM)
Cleveland had a terrible offseason.

True, but nobody could've predicted guys like Westbrook and Lee would struggle like they have. Even Jason Johnson, a guy who had a pretty decent year for the Tigers last year, has been far worse than expected.

Edited by Jordan4life_2006

QUOTE(Jordan4life_2006 @ Jun 19, 2006 -> 01:01 AM)

Runs=11th

Hits=10th

HRs=13th

SLG%=12TH

That's not gonna change anytime soon.

Be careful what you say. Just a couple post above you just said noone expected the Indians to have the bad pitching they are having this season. I'm just giving you a heads up.. ;)

QUOTE(SoxAce @ Jun 19, 2006 -> 01:03 AM)
Be careful what you say. Just a couple post above you just said noone expected the Indians to have the bad pitching they are having this season. I'm just giving you a heads up.. ;)

Naw, I'm more than confident the Twins will continue to struggle offensively. It's what did them in last season; no different this year.

QUOTE(Jordan4life_2006 @ Jun 19, 2006 -> 04:01 PM)

Runs=11th

Hits=10th

HRs=13th

SLG%=12TH

Thing is, you've subtracted Castro (.231/.258/.308) and Batista (.236/.308/.388) and replaced them with Bartlett (.389/.450.444) and Punto (.287/.376/.352).

Albeit they're extremely small sample sizes for the last 2, but Bartlett is easily an upgrade over Castro if Gardenhire actually plays him. Plus they also get Shannon Stewart (.298/.355/.376) off the DL soon.

Jason Kubel came in this month as well and has a .819 OPS.

So they're on the improve in terms of their offense. And if they can get a starter not named Liriano or Santana to actually produce, I think winning around 85 - 90 games is possible for them.

Wasnt Sizemore more or less the full time lead-off hitter last year, with Crisp hitting #2? Not to say that he wasnt a loss, because he was a big one, I just thought I remembered Crisp hitting second last year.

Good point about his loss, but he didnt bat leadoff, he batted #2

Minnesota will be hard pressed to win 90 games, they will more than likely end up with about 80 wins.

They still have 50 games vs teams with winning records out of their 94 remaining games. This does not even count several games vs CLE who the Twins are 1-4 against.

Projection:

Indians 87-75

Twins 83-79