Tiger Watch - Official Thread

hi8is

QUOTE(zoomzoomK @ Jun 26, 2006 -> 12:03 AM)
I understand that we have to talk trash to each other to make it seem like we're true fans, but can't we just appreciate the fact that the AL Central has the best two teams (irregardless of who is best and who is second) in the ENTIRE major leagues at this moment. As a Tigers fan, I would love to win the division but after watching the losingest franchise over the past 10 years, I wouldn't cry too hard if we managed the wild card either.

It's impossible to speak for all other Tiger fans, but I'm pretty sure we're all feeling the same here. Imagine this scenario: A cop pulls you over on a Friday night at 3:00 am for going 20 over, decides that you are drunk, tells you that DUIs are expensive, and then lets you go without giving you even a ticket for speeding.

That feeling that you get when you pull (I'm assuming, lol) into your driveway realizing that you aren't in jail: That is what I have felt like for the last 2 months.

Go Tigers, I hope this race goes down to the wire. It seems to be way more fun this way.

May the best team win, and may the second best team whip up on the AL East in the first round of the playoffs.

LOL @ "Irregardless."

QUOTE(Heads22 @ Jun 26, 2006 -> 12:09 AM)
You're so hung up on our positional setups, I figured you'd enjoy this.

:lolhitting

This is an honest :huh

• Replies 923
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(shoota @ Jun 25, 2006 -> 10:23 PM)
LOL @ "Irregardless."

This is an honest :huh

From dictionary.com,

Irregardless is a word that many mistakenly believe to be correct usage in formal style, when in fact it is used chiefly in nonstandard speech or casual writing. Coined in the United States in the early 20th century, it has met with a blizzard of condemnation for being an improper yoking of irrespective and regardless and for the logical absurdity of combining the negative ir- prefix and -less suffix in a single term. Although one might reasonably argue that it is no different from words with redundant affixes like debone and unravel, it has been considered a blunder for decades and will probably continue to be so.

Consider me one of these people!

Houston (38-38, 13-20 away) Rodriguez(8-4, 4.45 ERA)

Detroit (51-25, 23-14 home) Miner(3-1, 2.08 ERA)

Since you guys care enough to create the "Tiger Watch" thread, I figured you may as well know the matchup which will most likely leave the Sox a full 2.0 games back.

I doubt any of you knowledgable gentleman though that the Mike Maroth injury would send the Tigers into a tailspin, but just in case, check out Zach Miner's numbers. Its always nice to pick up a top notch Atlanta Braves pitching prospect by trading a guy (Kyle Farnsworth) who wasn't going to re-sign anyways.

I think its obvious I'm not a "troll", so please don't treat me like I'm an idiot. Trolls say things like: Sox suck, Thome blows, etc... I'm trying to have fun here, just like y'all

QUOTE(zoomzoomK @ Jun 26, 2006 -> 12:42 AM)
I think its obvious I'm not a "troll", so please don't treat me like I'm an idiot. Trolls say things like: Sox suck, Thome blows, etc... I'm trying to have fun here, just like y'all

From what I've seen from your 5 post, your a "hella" poster. (gotta get use to me saying a Cartman line)

I think you and a couple other tiger fans here will enjoy the board, and there's also a Cardinal, Twin, Marlin fans here too. Some posters here have other teams they like from other sports (Football, Basketball) etc., but what everyone has in common is they all like the Whitesox even if some of those posters are living in different areas/countries. (NY, Australia, etc..)

QUOTE(zoomzoomK @ Jun 25, 2006 -> 11:42 PM)
Houston (38-38, 13-20 away) Rodriguez(8-4, 4.45 ERA)

Detroit (51-25, 23-14 home) Miner(3-1, 2.08 ERA)

Since you guys care enough to create the "Tiger Watch" thread, I figured you may as well know the matchup which will most likely leave the Sox a full 2.0 games back.

I doubt any of you knowledgable gentleman though that the Mike Maroth injury would send the Tigers into a tailspin, but just in case, check out Zach Miner's numbers. Its always nice to pick up a top notch Atlanta Braves pitching prospect by trading a guy (Kyle Farnsworth) who wasn't going to re-sign anyways.

I was hoping for some drop off, but not an entire tailspin. I definitely was not expecting an even better pitcher to step-up... My last hopes are that Verlander hits the wall since he's pitched only 130 innings before or that Rogers goes into his 2nd half funk.

QUOTE(Wedge @ Jun 26, 2006 -> 07:55 AM)
I was hoping for some drop off, but not an entire tailspin. I definitely was not expecting an even better pitcher to step-up... My last hopes are that Verlander hits the wall since he's pitched only 130 innings before or that Rogers goes into his 2nd half funk.

I think the Tigers have two plans in place to avoid dead-arm from happening with any of the starters.

Plan A: Maroth comes back, they keep Miner in the rotation and they just roll 6 starters giving guys an extra day off every now and then.

Plan B: Maroth doesn't come back so they call up Humberto Sanchez who is arguably THE top minor league power arm who has yet to pitch in the majors. Kid has a 1.50 ERA and has struckout 105 guys in just 83 innings. He's also 6'6", 230 lbs.

Disclaimer: If Plan A occurs, the Tigers will still likely call up Sanchez to work out of the pen. He's just not getting challenged in the minors right now. In his three starts since being called up to AAA, he's 3-0 with a 0.47 ERA.

QUOTE(JackTalkThai @ Jun 26, 2006 -> 09:46 AM)
I think the Tigers have two plans in place to avoid dead-arm from happening with any of the starters.

Plan A: Maroth comes back, they keep Miner in the rotation and they just roll 6 starters giving guys an extra day off every now and then.

Plan B: Maroth doesn't come back so they call up Humberto Sanchez who is arguably THE top minor league power arm who has yet to pitch in the majors. Kid has a 1.50 ERA and has struckout 105 guys in just 83 innings. He's also 6'6", 230 lbs.

Disclaimer: If Plan A occurs, the Tigers will still likely call up Sanchez to work out of the pen. He's just not getting challenged in the minors right now. In his three starts since being called up to AAA, he's 3-0 with a 0.47 ERA.

Don't let Flash see this post!!

Bobby Abreu

Lynn Henning (Det News) on 1270 here in Detroit said he would be shocked if Detroit didnt land Bobby, or a similar type talent. He certainly thinks Gillick and Dombrowski are working on the Abreu deal. He said Sanchez and Monroe could get it done, but Philly wants Sanchez and Thames..

It's on fella's

Edited by Hurons

QUOTE(JackTalkThai @ Jun 26, 2006 -> 08:46 AM)

Humberto Sanchez Takes Toledo With 0.47 ERA and 17 Ks in 19 Innings - Mud Hens Report

MLN Newswire - SANCHEZ PROVIDES A BIG LIFT: Since being promoted from Double-A Erie, RHP Humberto Sanchez, has been a big addition to the Mud Hens rotation. He stands an imposing 6’6, 270 pounds, but it’s his numbers that have proven to be the most impressive. Sanchez pitched well enough at the Double-A level posting a 5-3 record with a 1.76 ERA to warrant a promotion to Toledo on June 8. In making three starts with the Hens since the promotion, Humberto has continued to dominate the competition going 3-0 with a 0.47 ERA to go along with 17 strikeouts in 19.0 innings of work. For his efforts during the week of June 12-18 he was named the IL Pitcher-of-the-Week. He currently leads all of Minor League Baseball with 103 strikeouts between Erie and Toledo.

I am going to throw a big broad warning out there for the visiting fan public and our fans...

All are welcome at Soxtalk, however, this is first and foremost a Chicago White Sox fan's message board. Having said that, our first mission of existance is to make a happy home for White Sox fans to come and be with like minded fans. Unlike many dedicated fan boards, we do allow certian fans of other teams to stick around, but we do make them stand up to a higher level than we do ourselves. The reason behind this is because it is one things for Sox fans to have arguements and differences of opinions amoung themselves, and it is another for a fan of an opposing team to come here and offer the same taunts and ego. We like the fact that Tigers fans are here, but if there are problems created because of certian individual fans of other teams, we will not hesitate to ban those posters. Now this has not been a problem mostly as the vast majority of opposing fans who have signed up here are extremely respectful and knowledgible, and have added a lot to the converstation. But also know that if there are problems from opposing fans, there won't be for long.

Thanks SS

And as always feel free to PM or respond with questions and comments.

QUOTE(Hurons @ Jun 26, 2006 -> 12:47 PM)
Bobby Abreu

Lynn Henning (Det News) on 1270 here in Detroit said he would be shocked if Detroit didnt land Bobby, or a similar type talent. He certainly thinks Gillick and Dombrowski are working on the Abreu deal. He said Sanchez and Monroe could get it done, but Philly wants Sanchez and Thames..

It's on fella's

So, basically this broad said that the Tigers would pick up some form of talent, at some position, from somewhere. Sounds legit.

QUOTE(zoomzoomK @ Jun 25, 2006 -> 10:03 PM)
May the best team win, and may the second best team whip up on the AL East in the first round of the playoffs.

:cheers

I'd much rather see the Tigers in the playoffs than the Red Sawks or the Yank-me's. It's also nice to see a storied franchise finally drag their asses out of the gutter after what has seemed like eternity.

QUOTE(RockRaines @ Jun 26, 2006 -> 12:58 PM)
So, basically this broad said that the Tigers would pick up some form of talent, at some position, from somewhere. Sounds legit.

Lynn is a man.

Where there is smoke there's fire:

http://www.detnews.com/apps/pbcs.dll/artic...380/1004/SPORTS

http://www.philly.com/mld/dailynews/sports/14903173.htm

Philly playing there cards close for now, but Henning said on the radio that this talk is legit.

QUOTE(RockRaines @ Jun 26, 2006 -> 02:58 PM)

"I like what we got, but let's face it, we'd like to get another left-handed hitter. (Taking on a big contract) is no big deal. I'm at the point where I can afford to do those things because I don't call it a big risk now. I'm gonna do what it takes to win. Nobody's gonna say, 'They would've won if Ilitch would've gotten X.' That's not gonna happen. I'm gonna get X."

--Mike Illitch, Tigers owner

Edited by JackTalkThai

QUOTE(SoxFan1 @ Jun 26, 2006 -> 04:40 PM)
Actions > Words.

Magglio got paid

Pudge got paid

Rogers got paid

It's not like Illitch doesn't have a track record of paying top dollar for players. It's just that prior to Dombrowski, he was known for spending said money poorly (see offering Juan Gonzales a $140 million contract and Bobby Higginson $11 million/yr)

QUOTE(Hurons @ Jun 26, 2006 -> 02:16 PM)
Lynn is a man.

Where there is smoke there's fire:

http://www.detnews.com/apps/pbcs.dll/artic...380/1004/SPORTS

http://www.philly.com/mld/dailynews/sports/14903173.htm

Philly playing there cards close for now, but Henning said on the radio that this talk is legit.

An Anchorman??

Would you like the links to the Sox picking up Griffey and Chavez last year??

The best part of those links is the headline for the first story is: Abreu COULD be the Guy from the left side. What a revelation, Abreu bats left handed, and could be good.

The second story has Gillick saying he is not interested in trading Abreu.

Thanks.

Edited by RockRaines

QUOTE(Buehrle>Wood @ Jun 26, 2006 -> 04:05 PM)
When do the Tigers play some decent teams again so we can take over first place again?

Problem is there aren't a lot of teams out there that can beat the Tigers.

QUOTE(Buehrle>Wood @ Jun 26, 2006 -> 04:59 PM)
The White Sox, Red Sox, and Yankees come to mind. What are they, 3 and 10 vs. the "other" 3 best teams in baseball? :lol:

Well they play NY and Boston a total of 6 more games. Even if they were to be swept all 6 games it's still merely 6 games.

QUOTE(BigSqwert @ Jun 26, 2006 -> 06:03 PM)
Well they play NY and Boston a total of 6 more games. Even if they were to be swept all 6 games it's still merely 6 games.

for what it's worth...

the tigers went into the 20 games with the sox/yankees/jays at the tail end of an unreal (for them) series of winning streaks. they were due to cool off. also, it was early enough in the season that the kids on the team were still kind of geeked by the novelty of winning so many games they used to lose. i think they went into the tough part of the season not really believing what they were doing. i think they may have been cowed by playing the best teams in the league. it showed and they choked (plus, todd jones rediscovered his flamethrower cannister, the one that lights up other teams hitters).

my sense is that the longer the season goes on, the more comfortable the kids on the team will become with the idea of winning and the lower the possibility that they view the sox and the yankees through puppy dog eyes. i actually expect the second round of games against good teams to be a toss up. if i'm right, at the end, the white sox will have crushed the tigers over the course of the season, but the lopsided record may be due to early games in which the tiger kids didn't really expect to compete.

of course, half the arms on the team could fall off, as bonderman's did last year and as rogers' seems to do every year. but i suspect that leyland has a fair handle on how to minimize that possibility.

QUOTE(Buehrle>Wood @ Jun 26, 2006 -> 05:59 PM)
The White Sox, Red Sox, and Yankees come to mind. What are they, 3 and 10 vs. the "other" 3 best teams in baseball? :lol:

And how did the Sox do against those teams this year? Oh wait... :huh: :bringit :)

Edited by JackTalkThai