Futures Game Thread

Heads22

QUOTE(SoxFan101 @ Jul 9, 2006 -> 07:48 PM)
There are reasons for summer leagues. In all honesty we have no idea how KW sees the situation. Its not like LF is really the hardest position to learn either... if manny can do it anyone can. Im not saying he will be in LF but im saying it isnt out of the possibility.

Manny is an awful comparison. If Fields is going to play LF like Manny then I don't want Fields playing LF.

Caught glimpses of the game, and I must say Fields impressed me alot and could have gone 3-3 (hang wiff em last ab) Anderson Gomes didn't look bad at all eigher.

BTW, Homer Bailey is a serious stud. That kid in the Mets system ain't bad eigher.

QUOTE(DBAH0 @ Jul 9, 2006 -> 09:11 PM)
Yeah how did Gomes look at the plate Ace?

I caught one ab when he batted (was flipping back and forth from the sox marathon) and he looked comfortable. He was aggressive, had a nice eye (which is surprising cause I believe his BB/K wasn't too impressive in bristol) had some nice swings, but fouled them off. He grounded out, but show cased some nice speed hustling down that line and was a step or two from being safe. (even though Drew was probably showing off that cannon) I also saw him make a put out in LF with ease (haven't seen that in a while from looking at mystery Pods out there.) Fields was just awesome though.

QUOTE(danman31 @ Jul 10, 2006 -> 01:04 AM)
Manny is an awful comparison. If Fields is going to play LF like Manny then I don't want Fields playing LF.

no doubt but the point is that LF is an easy position to learn and Fields is athletic enough to play in the OF and play it well.

QUOTE(shawnhillegas @ Jul 9, 2006 -> 06:43 PM)
i hope we dont trade him. put him in left field. im so scared that we will wake up and hear "roberti hernandez for josh fields"

That's NOT gonna happen.

QUOTE(SoxFan101 @ Jul 9, 2006 -> 09:32 PM)
no doubt but the point is that LF is an easy position to learn and Fields is athletic enough to play in the OF and play it well.

Scott Podsednik says hi.

QUOTE(danman31 @ Jul 10, 2006 -> 12:10 AM)
Fields looks like a DH down the road anyway. Maybe next year he can play 3rd and DH when Crede or Thome are off. He'd only be playing 2-3 times a week but that's the best case scenario I see, at least within this organization.

Dan's right here. Talking about value (from the standpoint of other teams) for a second...

Fields at 3B >>>>>> Fields at LF

If Fields continues to rake throughout the second half, I could see him going in a BIG trade this offseason. As to what/who he would be traded to/for... :huh

QUOTE(CWSGuy406 @ Jul 10, 2006 -> 01:51 AM)
Dan's right here. Talking about value (from the standpoint of other teams) for a second...

If Fields continues to rake throughout the second half, I could see him going in a BIG trade this offseason. As to what/who he would be traded to/for... :huh

I wouldn't be shocked to see him gone by July 31st either.

Our answer in LF isnt Fields...he'll be a nice platoon guy that can possibly play LF at best, DH, and 3B...thats about it. If we're gonna replace Pods(please lord) next year, its going to have to be for a similar type player, someone at the top of the order. Without Pods, as bad as he is there, we REALLY don't have anyone that can emulate a leadoff hitter.

QUOTE(Capn12 @ Jul 10, 2006 -> 02:31 AM)
Our answer in LF isnt Fields...he'll be a nice platoon guy that can possibly play LF at best, DH, and 3B...thats about it. If we're gonna replace Pods(please lord) next year, its going to have to be for a similar type player, someone at the top of the order. Without Pods, as bad as he is there, we REALLY don't have anyone that can emulate a leadoff hitter.

Not every single leadoff hitter is a speed guy like Pods. As long as its someone who has decent speed, can get on, you are fine. Pods is lifting the ball like crazy, his defense is terrible this year. Replacing that isnt as hard as you think.

QUOTE(DBAH0 @ Jul 10, 2006 -> 08:55 AM)
Call me crazy, but I still see Jon Garland and Josh Fields ending up in San Diego for Scott Linebrink, Scott Cassidy and Cesar Carillo.

A deal that makes sense for both teams.

How the hell does that make sense for the Sox?

So, the Sox give up their third best SP (as of right now, if you don't include B-Mac), a 3B who will probably be a top prospect after putting up a 1.000 OPS, for two relievers and a decent but not great SP prospect?

Sheesh... everyone wants to trade for these big name relievers while giving up Fields/Sweeney/Broadway. Look at the bullpen right now, look how they were acquired.

McCarthy - homegrown.

Jenks - Waiver pickup.

Cotts - A PTBNL in the Koch deal.

Politte - Cheap FA signing that didn't require coughing up a pick.

Riske - Traded for Javy Lopez.

Thorton - Traded for Borchard.

Hmm, I'm sensing a trend here.

QUOTE(SoxFan101 @ Jul 9, 2006 -> 09:32 PM)

The best point I've yet to see made is that moving him to LF decreases his value, even if it's just because you're set for the next couple years with Crede at 3B, moving him now sends a message to other organizations that you don't think he can stay there, while even if not true, it's all about perception.

QUOTE(Randar68 @ Jul 10, 2006 -> 07:01 PM)
The best point I've yet to see made is that moving him to LF decreases his value, even if it's just because you're set for the next couple years with Crede at 3B, moving him now sends a message to other organizations that you don't think he can stay there, while even if not true, it's all about perception.

QUOTE(CWSGuy406 @ Jul 10, 2006 -> 06:51 AM)

QUOTE(chitownsportsfan @ Jul 10, 2006 -> 10:52 AM)
What's Fields' defense like at 3B? Does he project as a 3B in MLB? I have to imagine that within the next year he will a) learn how to play LF, or "b)" be traded.

he's a good defensive 3rd baseman

i think the sox are already planning on getting him to learn to play LF. i'm sure if the right offer came up the sox would trade (of course).

QUOTE(CWSGuy406 @ Jul 11, 2006 -> 03:36 AM)
How the hell does that make sense for the Sox?

So, the Sox give up their third best SP (as of right now, if you don't include B-Mac), a 3B who will probably be a top prospect after putting up a 1.000 OPS, for two relievers and a decent but not great SP prospect?

Sheesh... everyone wants to trade for these big name relievers while giving up Fields/Sweeney/Broadway. Look at the bullpen right now, look how they were acquired.

McCarthy - homegrown.

Jenks - Waiver pickup.

Cotts - A PTBNL in the Koch deal.

Politte - Cheap FA signing that didn't require coughing up a pick.

Riske - Traded for Javy Lopez.

Thorton - Traded for Borchard.

Hmm, I'm sensing a trend here.

Well I look at it from the point of view that you save a ton of salary in this deal. We're probably not getting enough back in a deal like that actually, so we could ask for another top prospect.

You can then use that cap-space in the FA market again. But it's each to their own, you are definitely right in saying KW has made some great acquisitions for the pen through unheralded FA pickups and trades.

Realistically, Fields is going to play 3B for us for a quite a long time (especially if Crede signs here long - term). Fields value is at an all time high, and if they're not going to move him to LF............