I Miss Smartball

GoRowand33

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Smart ball with this team is stupid. They're INCREDIBLY slow, and when you have a lot of powerful hitters, giving up outs isn't usually a wise thing. I didn't see people saying they missed small ball when Thome, PK, and Dye were in the top 10 in RBI.

There's one thing I miss right now, and that's winning.

QUOTE(fathom @ Jul 25, 2006 -> 10:12 PM)
Smart ball with this team is stupid. They're INCREDIBLY slow, and when you have a lot of powerful hitters, giving up outs isn't usually a wise thing. I didn't see people saying they missed small ball when Thome, PK, and Dye were in the top 10 in RBI.

There's one thing I miss right now, and that's winning.

only konerko, thome, crede and pyrzynski are horribly slow

and smart ball can set the table for them instead of solo shots

You're right. This is the team that KW put together. He accumulated a bunch of slowish power hitters. This is not a small ball team.

QUOTE(GoRowand33 @ Jul 26, 2006 -> 03:14 AM)
only konerko, thome, crede and pyrzynski are horribly slow

and smart ball can set the table for them instead of solo shots

Dye isn't very fast on the bases, and Iguchi is almost deceptively slow. Thome hustles on the bases, so that makes up a little for his lack of speed. Anderson hardly ever gets on, so his speed is worthless. The funny thing is that the two people who's speed has helped us the most this year are Ozuna and Mackowiak.

I just wish Thome would destroy the clubhouse. He deserves better than this.

He's been around long enough and has performed well enough to kick some ass.

We're wasting a helluva season by Jim. He needs to kick some ass while we're still

even in the wild card race and not 5 back.

QUOTE(GoRowand33 @ Jul 25, 2006 -> 10:06 PM)
this is getting frustrated

instead of bunting camp, ozzie needs a smartball camp to get the team back

We dont have team speed. We dont run anymore. Pods is not destructive anymore because he is not stealing bases. Other players dont run also like Dye, Gooch.

I was just thinking tonight, isn't this the exact kind of team we moved away from in 2005? We currently have a team that can only move 1 base at a time and scores most of its runs through HRs.

I thought we proved that you can't win a championship this way. Apparently we wanted to try again just to make sure.

QUOTE(greg775 @ Jul 25, 2006 -> 09:23 PM)

We're wasting a helluva season by Jim. He needs to kick some ass while we're still

Does he deserve better than this? Maybe he's a part of the problem. I just hope over the last two months of the season that he's the solution.

QUOTE(greg775 @ Jul 25, 2006 -> 10:23 PM)

Instead of breaking things that don't belong to him I'd prefer he go back to hitting homers when men are on base.

QUOTE(greg775 @ Jul 25, 2006 -> 10:23 PM)

That's not his job dude...it's Ozzie's. Nor would you probably ever see him do that...or Konerko for that matter. Where's Jurassic when you need him?!? Thome's had a nice season...but on the other hand...he's left a ton on base. What I see missing is swagger. I know it's clicheic...but that's really what ARow brought to the table. I'd like to just call this a funk...and they'll snap out of it soon...they better.

I think sometimes people forget how bad our offense was last year. One of the reason small ball seemed to help us win games is because it was the only way that team could score.

I think sometimes people forget how bad our offense was last year. One of the reason small ball seemed to help us win games is because it was the only way that team could score. Do people not remember the pathetic swings we took against B. Backe in Game 4 of the World Series? How about how we went about 8 innings in Game 3 of the WS without a run?

I guess it's possible Thome could be part of the "problem" but from all I've read about him he's the

consummate pro, etc., and I was just lamenting the fact he's with the Sox a year too late apparently.

I think he's been here long enough to kick some ass. From "appearances" I get the feeling he is

a gamer who wants it pretty badly. So turn over some tables.

QUOTE(Cuck the Fubs @ Jul 25, 2006 -> 11:44 PM)
They need to change that grinder ball rule about power:

It goes never underestimate the power of power.

It needs to say: Never underestimate the power of power: Power has the power to destroy what the grinder ball was built on: The power of no power.

We always hit a lot of home runs. Right now we just aren't doing much of anything else. Other than throw gopherballs to the other team and pop up.

QUOTE(fathom @ Jul 25, 2006 -> 10:49 PM)
I think sometimes people forget how bad our offense was last year. One of the reason small ball seemed to help us win games is because it was the only way that team could score.

I think sometimes people forget how bad our offense was last year. One of the reason small ball seemed to help us win games is because it was the only way that team could score. Do people not remember the pathetic swings we took against B. Backe in Game 4 of the World Series? How about how we went about 8 innings in Game 3 of the WS without a run?

Small ball/ozzie/grinder/smart ball is a bad way to go about the game. If you play for just one run... one run is all you will likely end up with. The media made up and ran with the entire ozzie ball thing because we never have been a small ball team. There were spurts when they attempted it last year and many of times it failed miserably (people will of course only remember the good). Small ball just hinders any opportunity for a large inning and should nearly never be used before the 7th/8th inning.

Small ball teams are not always among the league leaders in runs scored via the homerun while hitting 200 plus every year. This team has hit too well the majority of the year with risp for me to not believe that they will regain there form. This would not even be a topic if someone in our rotation could give us something that resembles a quality start other than jon garland.

The problems with this team is the starting pitching... and of course ozzie's capabilites as a manage... which have lacked from day one. On soxtalk though it is a sin to bad mouth such a master mind of the game. When

you and i use to point out something and it went wrong before it happened one of two things would be said...

We have it out to get him...

Or...

There was a purpose for it and it actually made sense...

Ozzie is an awful in game manager and no one will ever convince me other wise. I can honestly care less if the players love him and he is like one of the team. What i do care about is him putting us in the best position to win each and every game... which he fails at. I do not even fully blame him, someone in the orginization has got to tell him just because you are left handed does not automatically mean you are incapable of getting a right handed batter out. Neal cotts all last year was taken out when some weak hitting pos walked up to the plate and it was ridiculous. That is just one of the thousands examples i can give.

Ozzie is a god though and shall never be criticized.

So this the type of team we got away from in '05? Of the 8 regular postion players, 7 of them were regulars last year. Anderson replaced Rowand in CF. Then the addition of Thome as DH to replace Everett or Thomas. Where is the big change over that mad us go from a scrappy small ball time to a bunch of slow thumpers?

QUOTE(YASNY @ Jul 26, 2006 -> 10:29 AM)
So this the type of team we got away from in '05? Of the 8 regular postion players, 7 of them were regulars last year. Anderson replaced Rowand in CF. Then the addition of Thome as DH to replace Everett or Thomas. Where is the big change over that mad us go from a scrappy small ball time to a bunch of slow thumpers?

EXACTLY. I was thinking the same thing when reading this thread. This team is not that different then last year. BA instead of ARow, and Javy instead of El Duque.

Now the bullpen is different, but that's not the issue right now.

It's the one inning brainfarts by our (starting) pitching staff and the swing for the fences mentality at the plate instead of just trying to get on base. Those are mental brainfarts, something that this team right now can't seem to overcome.

QUOTE(GoRowand33 @ Jul 26, 2006 -> 03:06 AM)
this is getting frustrated

instead of bunting camp, ozzie needs a smartball camp to get the team back

amen to that statement!! This corpseball of power only is getting annoying. Can we manufacture some damn runs! We cant win a championship playing this style of ball!

Lets go back to smart ball before its too late