Official Game Thread 8/4 - Sox vs Jays 6:05

• Replies 608
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(fathom @ Aug 4, 2006 -> 05:17 PM)
I'm still of the belief that we need our best defensive team on the field when Garland and Buehrle pitch.

I would add Vazquez and Garcia to that list as well. They seem to have a beach of a time pitching over errors...Hell, we should have our best D out thereEVERY nite from now on,maybe that will get the starters in a groove

There's only so many mistakes that you can expect a pitcher to deal with IMO. He shouldn't have to put up with one of the worst Center Fielders in baseball when the best is sitting on the bench. Especially since the one on the bench has finally learned how to hit on occasion. And on top of that, most of them I wouldn't call mistakes, since a fly ball to Center Field is usually something that should be turned into an out.

Yes I agree there are only so many they're expected to pitch over.

How about we start with one? In the first inning? On a 3-2 big fat changeup to a power hitter?

Again, it comes down to pitching, where is the hue and cry about the pitch call and the bad pitch?

QUOTE(CYGarland @ Aug 4, 2006 -> 07:20 PM)
I would add Vazquez and Garcia to that list as well. They seem to have a beach of a time pitching over errors...Hell, we should have our best D out thereEVERY nite from now on,maybe that will get the starters in a groove

The Sox as a team have had a difficult time pitching over defensive miscues this season.

QUOTE(JimH @ Aug 5, 2006 -> 12:20 AM)

How about we start with one? In the first inning? On a 3-2 big fat changeup to a power hitter?

Again, it comes down to pitching, where is the hue and cry about the pitch call and the bad pitch?

Didn't Balta and I comment about the terrible pitch selection? You're so right though....this pitching needs to start executing better. What's your opinion of AJP behind the plate this year?

QUOTE(ottawa_sox @ Aug 5, 2006 -> 12:21 AM)
AS you might remember, the Sox do not score from first on a double. :huh

It's absolutely amazing how it seems to be we can't score from first on a 2 out double, but other teams score easily on a 0 or 1 out double from first.

QUOTE(Dick Allen @ Aug 5, 2006 -> 12:21 AM)
The Sox as a team have had a difficult time pitching over defensive miscues this season.

That's a situation where our decreased K rates hurt a lot.

It was a bad call, but looked like a very good pitch to bunt for Mackowiak.

Are you kidding? A dropping curve ball six inches outside and low? Not a good pitch to bunt on at all.

This is turning into Pin The Tail On The Mackowiak.

QUOTE(JimH @ Aug 4, 2006 -> 07:20 PM)

Hey, I've tried to be opptomistic a majority of the time, and my posts from alot of threads can bear that out. But really people are jumpy on this issue not because they dislike mack but they just want BA in there basically every game with the roster we have. thats it. and If BA makes that catch you just never know what the score is right now.

QUOTE(JimH @ Aug 4, 2006 -> 05:23 PM)
Are you kidding? A dropping curve ball six inches outside and low? Not a good pitch to bunt on at all.

Roy Halladay has to be nasty as all hell to bunt against, especially if he's expecting it. The only run I'm pissed about is the one making it 3-2 right now.

Edited by Balta1701

QUOTE(JimH @ Aug 4, 2006 -> 07:20 PM)

I know I'm a bit behind in relation to the game, but Garland pitching 6 CONSECUTIVE OUTSIDE PITCHES to Glaus was atrocious. Pierzynski deserves majority of the blame for that play-call.

He was comfortable on the corner -- since it was obvious that was their intended target -- and Pierzynski called a changeup DESPITE the fact Glaus had yet to catch up to his fastball. It's embarrassing to watch this crap unfold.

QUOTE(JimH @ Aug 5, 2006 -> 12:23 AM)

I'm as big of a Mackowiak fan as there is. He's just proven time and again that he's not a CF. If you're bunting in that situation, and you already have a strike, a slow pitch on the outside corner isn't a terrible pitch to try and bunt down the 3rd base line. It's a lot easier pitch to bunt that a Halladay cutter on the inside corner.

This umpire isn't good...it's no surprise, he's one of the worst in baseball. However, our hitters need to adjust to the way he's calling the game.