Maurice Clarett

SnB

The guy's wearing a bullet proof vest with about 4 guns and an assault rifle in the car and tries to resist arrest. I'm sorry, this prick needs to be locked up for a long time.

He's not a football player, he's a thug and needs to rot in a cell.

QUOTE(SnB @ Aug 9, 2006 -> 09:19 AM)
http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=2544230

Kinda sad, a guy can have all the talent in the world and just not "get it".

not sad. he made his own bed... be sad for the guy who couldn't play football because of a degenerative hip condition or something.

QUOTE(Chisoxfn @ Aug 9, 2006 -> 10:50 AM)
The guy's wearing a bullet proof vest with about 4 guns and an assault rifle in the car and tries to resist arrest. I'm sorry, this prick needs to be locked up for a long time.

He's not a football player, he's a thug and needs to rot in a cell.

exactly. he's a P.O.S.

I had dinner with one of his lawyers back when he tried to crack the NFL draft the first time. After we had a few cocktails, he predicted something like this would happen. He said that the kid is so far in hock from fees that he wouldn't make dime in the NFL for the first 4 years. And that would only be if he signed a nice contract. Kinda of sad really but I don't think his 'sense of entitlement' is all that unique in young athletes these days.

QUOTE(whitesoxfan101 @ Aug 10, 2006 -> 01:59 PM)
Grey Goose?? Damn, trying to drink that whole bottle might have been more of a health risk to him than those guns.

There was a night involving an entire bottle of Grey Goose and a few of my friends this spring.

Stuff got broken.

QUOTE(Heads22 @ Aug 10, 2006 -> 02:03 PM)
There was a night involving an entire bottle of Grey Goose and a few of my friends this spring.

Stuff got broken.

10765010.gif

:huh

Edited by shoota

That story about Clarett is crazy. It will be interesting to hear the details as they come out. To me it sounds like one of the guys that gave him the cars and house wanted his money back.

That's how I took it as well. Though i don't really understand why he was running from his house, as if whoever was after him couldn't figure out his address and go after his daughter anyways. It would seem to make more sense to me that he would either take them with him and move away, or stay at home to protect them if all else fails.

What a crazy story.

Once again, Its not his fault.....

http://www.comcast.net/sports/index.jsp?ca.../13/454997.html

Lawyer: Clarett Struck After Cooperating

By RACHEL HOAG, Associated Press Writer

COLUMBUS, Ohio - Former Ohio State football star Maurice Clarett was sprayed with pepper spray and struck after he surrendered following an early morning chase last week, his lawyer said Sunday.

"It is our contention that both of those things occurred after he was in handcuffs," said attorney Michael Hoague, who added that his client obeyed police commands.

Hoague claimed Clarett was compliant throughout.

During the pursuit, Clarett called his mother and fiancee to tell them he loved them. He asked his mother to call his lawyer, Hoague said.

"A person who calls his loved ones to say, 'I'm about to go to jail,' does not have the mind-set to put up a fight," Hoague said, adding that Clarett laid on the ground when he surrendered.

The Top 10 Completely Innocuous Things Maurice Clarett Was Up To

10> Hired to replace Carl Spackler at Bushwood -- he'll get that

gopher once and for all!

9> Late for the Absolut Small-Arms Target-Shooting Championship.

8> Preparing to fend off that wacky Paula during his "American

Idol" audition.

7> "I'm on my way to the university library to continue research

for my doctoral thesis on firearm design of the late 20th

century. Aren't these specimens marvelous?"

6> Doing volunteer work for his private-charity "Guns For

Martinis" exchange program.

5> Running a tad bit late for his Tuesday night Russian roulette

coffee klatsch.

4> It was "Automatic Weapons and Hard Alcohol Night" at the

Columbus Clippers' game.

3> On his way to discuss a quality issue at his dealer's house.

2> Getting into character for his title role in Columbus

Community Theatre's production of "RAMBO! The Musical!"

and the Number 1 Completely Innocuous Thing Maurice Clarett Was Up

To...

1> It's getting so a guy can't even take his sitcom concept "On

the Road with a Drunken Lunatic Jock Armed to the Teeth" for a

little market testing without everybody jumping all over his

ass.

[ Copyright 2006 by Chris White ]

[ http://www.topfive.com ]

• 4 weeks later...

3.5 years in prison for Clarett

Clarett OKs 3 1/2-year prison term

COLUMBUS, Ohio - Former Ohio State football star Maurice Clarett agreed Monday to plead guilty to aggravated robbery and carrying a concealed weapon. The deal would send him to prison for at least 3 1/2 years and end two criminal cases against him.

The agreement was announced by Judge David Fais on the day jury selection was to begin in a case in which Clarett is accused of holding up two people outside a bar.

The concealed weapon charge was from his August arrest after a highway chase with police who found four loaded guns in Clarett's sport utility vehicle after they spiked the tires. Police used pepper spray to subdue and handcuff Clarett, who was wearing a bulletproof vest.

The deal called for a 7 1/2-year sentence with release possible after 3 1/2 years. The 22-year-old player also agreed to serve five years of probation after the prison sentence.

Clarett said he understood he was pleading guilty and reversing his earlier innocent plea.

"I'd like to apologize for my behavior, and I accept the time that was given to me," he said.

After the deal was announced, he looked over at his mother who was sobbing and holding his 8-week-old daughter while sitting next to his girlfriend.

Assistant Prosecutor Tim Mitchell said the plea deal is consistent with how his office handles similar cases.

"Anyone else would have gone to prison. He's not getting any special treatment," Mitchell said.

"As robberies go it wasn't as bad as some I've seen."

Defense attorneys left the courtroom without commenting.

After the police-chase incident, Clarett was charged with two counts of failure to comply with an order from a police officer and improper handling of a firearm, in addition to the concealed-weapon charge.

The case generated such intense media coverage Clarett's attorneys asked the court to pay for a public opinion poll to determine if an impartial jury could be seated for the robbery trial. Fais denied the request.

Clarett scored the winning touchdown in the second overtime of the Fiesta Bowl to lead Ohio State to the 2002 national championship, but that was the last game he played for the Buckeyes.

After dropping out of Ohio State, he lost a

U.S. Supreme Court case challenging the NFL's requirement that players wait three years after high school before turning pro. The

Denver Broncos made Clarett a surprise third-round pick in the NFL's 2005 draft but cut him during the preseason.