Top 3 web gems in White Sox history

WhiteSoxfan1986

Tomorrow on Baseball Tonight, it's the Sox turn for the top three web gems in franchise history (well, since TV began). What's everyones top 3? I can only think of recent ones off the top of my head, but here they are.

3. Fisk tagging two yankees out at home (the play from the pregame video)

2. Iguchi's play against Toronto earlier this year

3. Uribe diving into the stands in Houston

• Replies 101
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Daryl Boston dove into the LF line stands and made a sensational catch several years ago. It was one of the greatest catches of all time, and the only reason it wouldn't make it is if they don't have footage of it. For a little humor, they should show the ball that bounced off Ron LeFlore's head that knocked him silly and went for a 4 base error.

Edited by Dick Allen

QUOTE(kapkomet @ Aug 10, 2006 -> 07:42 AM)
Fisk's has to be #1.

Guichi's play was spectacular. Maybe one of the best ever - but it was pure luck.

Is this on tonight (Thurs) or was it on last night?

Aren't most spectacular plays pure luck?

Of all time? That's almost too tough.

But yes, the Iguchi play while diving earlier this year is one of the best I've ever seen in my life.

The Fisk play may not have the "wow" value of that, but it was such an oddity that's why it's classic (and why they have it on the opening reel every game, I suspect).

QUOTE(LVSoxFan @ Aug 10, 2006 -> 09:36 AM)
Of all time? That's almost too tough.

But yes, the Iguchi play while diving earlier this year is one of the best I've ever seen in my life.

The Fisk play may not have the "wow" value of that, but it was such an oddity that's why it's classic (and why they have it on the opening reel every game, I suspect).

My point is that the Iguchi and Uribe plays were definitely better than the Fisk one. I haven't seen that Calderon catch or the one that DA described, but they both sound better, too.

QUOTE(Milkman delivers @ Aug 10, 2006 -> 09:40 AM)
My point is that the Iguchi and Uribe plays were definitely better than the Fisk one. I haven't seen that Calderon catch or the one that DA described, but they both sound better, too.

Please refresh my memory. Fisk tagged out Dale Berra and......? I always forget the other player.

QUOTE(WhiteSoxfan1986 @ Aug 10, 2006 -> 01:17 AM)
Tomorrow on Baseball Tonight, it's the Sox turn for the top three web gems in franchise history (well, since TV began). What's everyones top 3? I can only think of recent ones off the top of my head, but here they are.

3. Fisk tagging two yankees out at home (the play from the pregame video)

2. Iguchi's play against Toronto earlier this year

1. Uribe diving into the stands in Houston

you nailed them.

I love Google

• 1985 - Ozzie Guillen scores from 2B on an infield hit in the 11th to give the White Sox a 6 - 5 victory over the Yankees. Salazar's slow roller down the 1B line is fielded by pitcher Mike Bordi, and with no play at 1B, Guillen keeps running. In the 7th the Yankees have two runners thrown out at home on the same play.
  • 1985 - White Sox backstop Carlton Fisk tags out two Yankee runners at home plate during the same play. The unusual 8-6-2-2 double play results as both Bobby Meacham and Dale Berra try to score on Rickey Henderson's double in the gap.

The Fisk 2 for 1 play at the plate in New York, Uribe's catch in the stands, and Gooch's play this year have to be the top 3. I'd guess:

3. Gooch

2. Fisk

1. Uribe

The best play I ever saw Rowand make for us was the catch he made last year crashing into the wall to save the game against Seattle. Sexson CRUSHED the thing (it was in the 8th) and it would have tied it if it dropped or gave Seattle the lead if it left. Rowand got a GREAT jump on the ball and made the catch as he ran into the wall at full speed. That may be the best play I've seen an OF make for us, either that or a play Kenny Lofton made at a FREEZING April game against Detroit in I believe 2001 when he robbed a guy of a homer.

Rowands display out in CF against the Yanks in one inning was more impressive than any of those 3 plays, imo.

Guchi's play was great, but total luck. Uribe's best play was actually the one to win the game (that was absolutely insane, no other SS throws him out) although I'd admit Uribe into the stands was ridiculously awesome two.

Those two plays should be combined like Rowand's two plays and are by far the two greatest plays I've seen in White Sox history.