Playoff Chances

aboz56

They had the Red Sox at .01% to win the World Series when they down 3-0 back in 2004.

After the Sox beat Detroit last year, the Sox only had a 96% of winning the divison before the 3 game series with Cleveland.

"cool" isn't the word I would use to describe it

I like baseball stats, but I think these guys lack common sense.

How can the Yanks be 76-21 favorites over the Red Sox with only a 2-game lead and 45+ games to go? Do you think they would lay those odds on a bet? Moreover, how can the Yanks be 82-57 favorites over us to make the playoffs when they have a worse record than we do? (Granted, they have a division lead, but it is only 2 games and if they lose it, they are out right now.) Why do the Yanks project out to more wins than us when they have fewer wins now and have a poorer run differential? I know BP has formulas for all of this, but the formulas need some adjusting.

QUOTE(VAfan @ Aug 15, 2006 -> 09:55 AM)

How can the Yanks be 76-21 favorites over the Red Sox with only a 2-game lead and 45+ games to go? Do you think they would lay those odds on a bet? Moreover, how can the Yanks be 82-57 favorites over us to make the playoffs when they have a worse record than we do? (Granted, they have a division lead, but it is only 2 games and if they lose it, they are out right now.) Why do the Yanks project out to more wins than us when they have fewer wins now and have a poorer run differential? I know BP has formulas for all of this, but the formulas need some adjusting.

I could be wrong but I'm guessing it's all done with formulas based off of historical data. So for example at this point in the season teams with so and so lead/record have historically made the playoffs x amount and won the division/wild card x amount.

QUOTE(VAfan @ Aug 15, 2006 -> 08:55 AM)

The Yanks are in a slightly weaker division so they would be theoretically be able to win more games, I would think.

QUOTE(Chet Lemon @ Aug 15, 2006 -> 04:36 PM)
I will forever abhor Baseball Prospectus for writing that the 2005 Sox would finish in "the basement" of the division w/ KC.

You are absolutely right.

the 2005 book wrote some of the meanest, dismissive predictions I've ever read about the Sox.

And read the 2006 book. They didn't admit they were wrong. They suggested the Sox were lucky and statistical freaks for winning all those one-run games.

I read Baseball Prospectus. But they have folks there who enjoy bashing the crap out of the White Sox, especially Kenny Williams.

As the title says, the post-season odds report was compiled by running a Monte

Carlo simulation of the rest of the season one million times.

i didn't see anything with details of the simulation, like if it includes possible injuries and how often subs play. there a lot of questions you could ask about the simulation. i check it on a regular basis and think it is pretty interesting.

QUOTE(Reddy @ Aug 15, 2006 -> 06:26 PM)
dude, the white sox f***ing suck. I have been pretending to like them for the past year just out of spite. I'm a yankees fan, and we at least will make the postseason b****es.

um...

i didnt type that....

QUOTE(winninguglyin83 @ Aug 15, 2006 -> 12:22 PM)
You are absolutely right.

the 2005 book wrote some of the meanest, dismissive predictions I've ever read about the Sox.

And read the 2006 book. They didn't admit they were wrong. They suggested the Sox were lucky and statistical freaks for winning all those one-run games.

I read Baseball Prospectus. But they have folks there who enjoy bashing the crap out of the White Sox, especially Kenny Williams.

duh, bill james is connected with BP and he's considered a god by good ole billy bean

Its amazing to me how many people are still stupid and/or bitter enough to think a team that was in first place for all 162 games and went 11-1 in the playoffs won the championship because they were "lucky".

These BP guys, who are all about stats, choose to ignore that overwhelming statistical fact.

• 2 weeks later...

Updated:

American League

New York Yankees: 97.84 percent

Detroit Tigers: 97.57 percent

Oakland A's: 80.00 percent

Minnesota Twins*: 58.51 percent

Chicago White Sox: 41.00 percent

Los Angeles Angels: 16.68 percent

Boston Red Sox: 4.23 percent

National League

New York Mets: 100 percent

St. Louis Cardinals: 83.64 percent

Los Angeles Dodgers: 74.10 percent

San Diego Padres: 40.09 percent

Cincinnati Reds: 37.98 percent

Philadelphia Phillies*: 20.43 percent

San Francisco Giants: 16.58 percent

Florida Marlins: 6.45 percent

Houston Astros: 6.10 percent

* – Wild card leader: The Twins are at 49.35 percent, ahead of the White Sox at 35.94 percent, and the Phillies at 20.42 percent are ahead of a gaggle of teams, including the current leaders, the Reds (18.79 percent), and the Padres (15.88 percent)

Took this from Jeff Passan's article on Yahoo! sports but it is from the BP site http://www.baseballprospectus.com/statistics/ps_odds.php