Sox lose game 1 to Tigers

CYGarland

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(The Ginger Kid @ Aug 21, 2006 -> 10:59 PM)
A few hours later, and I'm over this loss. I do love baseball. And I agree with what JD had to say about the loss:

"He was lights out," Dye said. "No matter who was facing him, that team wouldn't have had a chance. Besides the homer he gave up, he kept everyone off base and came up with ground balls and flies to get out of innings.

"We have enough veteran leadership to know to tip your hat to that guy, but tomorrow is another day, and we'll come out ready to play. Just by the way we've played this team this year is confidence in itself."

come back and get them tomorrow

He was right on. Verlander was in The Zone. Nobody was going to hit this guy, in that ballgame. I wasn't so much concerned about the loss as I was about Contreras' command of his pitches. He missed his spots quite a lot. This does not bode well for this final stretch. But Relax, people. We're gonna lose another dozen to 15 more games. I just hope that at the final out, the Sox are just one game better than the Twinkerbells and Dead Sox.

QUOTE(ive stopped believin @ Aug 22, 2006 -> 11:23 PM)
Bonser is a right hander

Ahh my bad, for some reason, since I heard of him in AAA I always thought of him as a lefty sort of like Buehrle because his stuff isn't great.

That actually makes our performance against him even worse.

Why can't everyone just enjoy baseball for what it is? A GAME! A long season! Now sure, everyone has their "rights" to complain and vent, etc. It's guys out there ENTERTAINING YOU. Abosultely NOTHING more.

This is a child's game that grown men play. I hate it that the game has lost its innocense. Go to a little league game, and the environment is awesome - (sans idiot parents who obsess like fans here do sometimes).

That's what the game should be, not a bunch of showboating, moneygrubbing, obsessive crap.

QUOTE(kapkomet @ Aug 22, 2006 -> 09:02 AM)
Why can't everyone just enjoy baseball for what it is? A GAME! A long season! Now sure, everyone has their "rights" to complain and vent, etc. It's guys out there ENTERTAINING YOU. Abosultely NOTHING more.

This is a child's game that grown men play.

Well, sure, you're right. But, some people have wrapped their very identity around the team. They wear their team logo constantly, on shirts, hats, etc., and they fly the team flag proudly in front of the house. They are known as the biggest team supporter on the block, maybe in the city. So, when the team wins, they win, too, but when the team sucks, they take it very personally.

QUOTE(Drew @ Aug 22, 2006 -> 03:06 AM)
When Thome was out a few weeks ago, I really thought AJ did well at #3. His slap-hitting added a lot of dynamic to a top of the order that was stagnating. I would really like to see what either he or Dye could do in that slot as a shake-up.

1. Cintron SS

2. Iguchi 2B

3. Dye RF

4. Konerko 1B

5. Thome DH

6. Pierzynski C

7. Mackowiak LF

8. Anderson CF

9. Crede 3B

I like this batting order .............. Ive been telling anyone who will listen, that I really dont like Jim Thome, and him in the 3rd hole isnt conducive to rallies. AJ batting 3rd is a great idea, Konerko 4th, Dye 5th, Thome 6th.

QUOTE(Drew @ Aug 22, 2006 -> 08:06 AM)
Just for a game, just to see what happens, I'd like to see a lineup like this:

1. Cintron SS

2. Iguchi 2B

3. Dye RF

4. Konerko 1B

5. Thome DH

6. Pierzynski C

7. Mackowiak LF

8. Anderson CF

9. Crede 3B

I like it. THis team needs alittle spark and a change in the lineup just may do that. I've been wanting Dye to hit 3rd since the World Series when he was very successful hitting there. Thome just doesn't have it right now. Let him bat 5th for awhile to re-collect himself. Not sooo sure about Crede hitting 9th but I understand your reasoning for it. However, do you want a guy having his career year to have limited AB's?

I say:

1. Pods/ Ozuna LF

2. Gooch 2B

3. Dye RF

4. Konerko 1B

5. Thome DH

6. Crede 3B

7. AJ C

8. Uribe/Cintron SS

9. R. Mack/ Anderson CF

Edited by GreatScott82

I'd normally take this loss very badly, but I watched it at a strip club. Well, kinda watched it. It's not easy to stay mad in that kind of environment.

One thing I did notice and am pretty upset about is that Contreras' ERA is 4.04 now. That means not a single pitcher in the greatest rotation in baseball history has an ERA under 4. These guys should be arrested for all the money they're stealing.

QUOTE(Jordan4life @ Aug 22, 2006 -> 01:49 AM)
If what Melton is saying is true, how long has his back been giving him problems? If it's been a while, I'll be pissed beyond belief that we didn't get B-mac stretched out a longgggggg time ago.

QUOTE(fathom @ Aug 21, 2006 -> 09:50 PM)
Where was this problem in his last start against the Tigers?

Didn't he receive cortisone shots when he went on the DL? Presumably the hope was that this would relieve his discomfort to the extent that he could perform up to his former superlative standards. This club was not going to make a serious run at the title without it's ace pitching and pitching at his best. It looks to me like he is only able to avoid pain by dropping down. I think he loses some command and deception when he drops down. This is not to say that he can't have a great game once in awhile (re. the previous Tiger game). On that occasion he hit his spots and minimized the damage. Either way ... dropping down or over the top .... he has great stuff. He's just more likely to have an ineffective game by dropping down. I am sure both he and Coop realize he is better off delivering from 12 o'clock the majority of the time. In all probability his pain just won't allow it. I don't know why anybody has to be at fault thought all of this. Everyone is doing there best to cope. Here's hoping that he is soon able to pitch upright more often in the near future. And if not, let's hope he learns to command from down low on a more consistent basis, as in the aforementioned Tiger game.

If Javy, Buerhle, Jose and Freddy can just pitch quality starts 3/4 runs a game and the bulpen does there job. We still have a shot. The problem is this team is soo damn inconsistent its scary. You never know what the hell your going to get from your starters or your offense. And if Jose's back really does hurt, then its time for him to go on that 15 day DL. This will give BMac 3 starts and if he impresses us by the tim Jose comes back, throw Freddy or Javy into the pen.

QUOTE(Milkman delivers @ Aug 22, 2006 -> 02:37 PM)
These guys should be arrested for all the money they're stealing.

After all, if you go to the park, or watch them on TV, or buy other Sox products, it's YOUR money that you feel like they're stealing.

They didn't just lose they got their asses kicked. And they also lost 2 out of 3 to the team chasing them in the wild card over the weekend. This has been a rough stretch for WhiteSox baseball and instead of pretending it's not going on, you should just hope they can turn the corner soon. It's not the end of the world, but their play has been poor lately and I hope and know in my heart of hearts that they will be able to turn it around. I don't see how they don't win the next three in Detroit. The Sox just own the Tigers.

QUOTE(brijames @ Aug 21, 2006 -> 07:57 PM)
Tigers will win 3 of these 4 and the race for the Central Title will be over.

Any questions?

I'd love to have some of that Tiger Kool-Aid you're drinking. Man! What a pessimist. On the other hand, at least it takes the some of the tension away and the Sox can concentrate on just the WC and not both.

QUOTE(POPPY_HIDALGO @ Aug 22, 2006 -> 10:51 AM)
They didn't just lose they got their asses kicked. And they also lost 2 out of 3 to the team chasing them in the wild card over the weekend. This has been a rough stretch for WhiteSox baseball and instead of pretending it's not going on, you should just hope they can turn the corner soon. It's not the end of the world, but their play has been poor lately and I hope and know in my heart of hearts that they will be able to turn it around. I don't see how they don't win the next three in Detroit. The Sox just own the Tigers.

All things being equal, the Tigers are due.....

QUOTE(Milkman delivers @ Aug 22, 2006 -> 04:36 PM)
Eggzactly.

:lol:

You're killing me. :D

QUOTE(Steff @ Aug 22, 2006 -> 05:03 PM)
I wish my employees worried as much, and in as much detail, about their jobs as some of you guys do about the Sox woes. :)

Oh yea. Like myself, for example. :lol:

QUOTE(kapkomet @ Aug 22, 2006 -> 12:04 PM)
Oh yea. Like myself, for example. :lol:

At least you have a broad perspective, can rationalize the importance of the baseball world versus the real world, comprehend the ramifications of both and prioritize them in accordance to the impact they have on your daily life, and still work a 10 hour day. ;)

QUOTE(Steff @ Aug 22, 2006 -> 05:08 PM)
At least you have a broad perspective, can rationalize the importance of the baseball world versus the real world, comprehend the ramifications of both and prioritize them in accordance to the impact they have on your daily life, and still work a 10 hour day. ;)

Yep. That pretty much somes up my life. :lol:

Don't forget some baby drool thrown in there.

QUOTE(Milkman delivers @ Aug 22, 2006 -> 09:37 AM)
One thing I did notice and am pretty upset about is that Contreras' ERA is 4.04 now. That means not a single pitcher in the greatest rotation in baseball history has an ERA under 4.

That says so, so, so much. It says everything, really. Starting pitching = everything.

Are they tired? The six-man rotation with McCarthy is starting to sound good to me.