Thome injury

BFirebird

QUOTE(MSHAWKS @ Aug 24, 2006 -> 03:11 AM)
AJ, with his s***ty OBP and Slugging percentage, is extremely replacable.

With who...Sandy Alomar and Chris Stewart?

QUOTE(Jordan4life_2006 @ Aug 24, 2006 -> 03:35 AM)
Seems like people want the '05 offense back. I know I don't. Not with this year's version of Podsednik/starting pitching.

I'm the last person that you should group into this category. However, I think the 2 week break would do Thome well.

• Replies 88
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(Jordan4life_2006 @ Aug 23, 2006 -> 10:35 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Seems like people want the '05 offense back. I know I don't. Not with this year's version of Podsednik/starting pitching.

Just a question, but could the '05 offense really feature this year's Podsednik? Why would that be? If we want last year's offense, then I think that is because we would want last year's Podsednik. Just a thought. Just throwing that out there.

I don't miss last year's offense at all. I like this year's much better. However, the Jim Thome in the beginning of the season is the Jim Thome I want to see. Not the Jim Thome post all-star break. I think some rest could do him some good. Just as long as it isn't too much time missed.

Edited by southsideirish

QUOTE(Jordan4life_2006 @ Aug 24, 2006 -> 03:47 AM)
I agree with that if it turns out he's hurting. But some (you to a lesser extent) are making it sound like it'd be a cinch to replace him.

So you're telling me to stop being optimistic? Quite the role reversal, isn't it? :P

QUOTE(southsideirish @ Aug 23, 2006 -> 10:42 PM)
Just a question, but could the '05 offense really feature this year's Podsednik? Why would that be? If we want last year's offense, then I think that is because we would want last year's Podsednik. Just a thought. Just throwing that out there.

I don't miss last year's offense at all. I like this year's much better. However, the Jim Thome in the beginning of the season is the Jim Thome I want to see. Not the Jim Thome post all-star break. I think some rest could do him some good. Just as long as it isn't too much time missed.

Alright then. I can agree with this. But in no way shape, or form, is this a more effective lineup without Jim Thome. I don't care what he's hitting against lefties.

QUOTE(Jordan4life_2006 @ Aug 23, 2006 -> 10:47 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I agree with that if it turns out he's hurting. But some (you to a lesser extent) are making it sound like it'd be a cinch to replace him.

I don't think anyone has even come close to saying it would be a cinch to replace Thome. I think what some are saying is that he is not the most irreplaceable player on this team. AJP, Crede, and Dye are more irreplaceable than Thome is and I think most everyone would agree on that. It would be much more difficult to replace AJP, Crede, or Dye for 15 days than it would be to replace Jim Thome. I don't even know how that can be argued.

QUOTE(Jordan4life_2006 @ Aug 23, 2006 -> 10:51 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Alright then. I can agree with this. But in no way shape, or form, is this a more effective lineup without Jim Thome. I don't care what he's hitting against lefties.

Of course it's not. Jim Thome makes others in the lineup better by being there. I don't think anyone is denying that. Maybe I am reading some posts wrong, but I don't believe anyone has said that.

QUOTE(Jordan4life_2006 @ Aug 23, 2006 -> 10:56 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
You didn't see what Rock posted?

Yes, and I agree with him only because Jim Thome is not hitting like he has been in the beginning of the season. Hopefully he can rest his wrist and hammy and be back to how he was in the beginning of the season. When healthy, he has a huge presence in the lineup. Lately he has been an average joe. So, yes switching Dye to 3 does change the lineup drastically. Batting Dye 3, Kong 4 and Crede 5 would be pretty good in my opinion. Not many teams can even match that. It is not more effective than a lineup with a healthy Jim Thome, but it is still very good.

QUOTE(southsideirish @ Aug 23, 2006 -> 11:01 PM)
Lately he has been an average joe.

No, no he has not. He's put up .308/.430/.569/1.000 in August, there ain't a damned thing average about that. Everyone loves to harp on the 3 HRs and 8 RBI but that's directly correlated to the bottom of the order and leadoff hitter sucking for the past month especially. He has 8 2Bs already this month after hitting 4 last month, he may not be knocking in runs at a crazy rate but he has scored 14 runs which is only 4 less than he scored in July and there's still a week left in August. That is not average.

Three positives COULD come from Thome missing 1day-2weeks.

1. Thome will get healthy and we will see a fired up Big man when he comes back.

2. The other players and pitchers might step up their games and awareness knowing that one of the big boys is out. (team comes together more)

3. Its a shakeup (while losing no fielders). This team needs to be shaken. Ozzie just won't do it. ie. bench pods more, start bmac, bring someone up, gload/mack leadoff, anything.

Fact is, I'm wish/wash over this little event and look forward without blinking. If Dye, Crede, or AJ goes down, I don't see anything that could be positive from it. We just don't have suitable replacements that can hit/field like they do.

Edited by iguchi=dank

I think Internet fans are pretty demanding when we're debating the value of Jim Thome.

I mean ... c'mon.

He's had a monster season.

We need Jim Thome.

As far as Gload. I know Ross Gload. And Ross Gload ain't no Jim Thome.

Edited by greg775

QUOTE(fathom @ Aug 23, 2006 -> 08:00 PM)
I'd love to see this lineup if Thome is out:

Mackowiak LF

Iguchi 2B

Dye RF

PK Dh

Crede 3B

Gload 1B

AJP C

Uribe SS

Anderson CF

I have a feeling the lineup will look something like this................................................... Pods, Iguchi, Dye, PK, AJ, Crede, Gload, Uribe, Anderson.....

Edited by CYGarland

QUOTE(Texsox @ Aug 24, 2006 -> 10:29 AM)
Wow, not what I expected when I opened the thread.

I've been thrilled that he's been as healthy as he has been so far this year. Assuming he wouldn't be out for longer than a week to two weeks, I think it might be just the rest he needs for the rest of the year. I know his numbers have looked good for the last 30 games or so, but I think it's obvious to anyone watching that his bat speed has slowed down. Hopefully he's back on Friday night, and this whole argument is a mute point.

QUOTE(Kalapse @ Aug 23, 2006 -> 11:11 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
No, no he has not. He's put up .308/.430/.569/1.000 in August, there ain't a damned thing average about that. Everyone loves to harp on the 3 HRs and 8 RBI but that's directly correlated to the bottom of the order and leadoff hitter sucking for the past month especially. He has 8 2Bs already this month after hitting 4 last month, he may not be knocking in runs at a crazy rate but he has scored 14 runs which is only 4 less than he scored in July and there's still a week left in August. That is not average.

Just curious, but how is is K rate and hitting with RISP? To me it seems like he has been striking out more and hitting worse with RISP. That is just from watching the games and I could be totally off and it is just standing out to me more. Do you know the actual stats?

QUOTE(whitesox1976 @ Aug 23, 2006 -> 11:14 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
It would be hard to replace Thome for an extended period. His power has been a big help to us this season.

His power has dropped off lately, that is why it is not hard to replace at this moment.

QUOTE(Texsox @ Aug 24, 2006 -> 06:23 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
The mood of the board is we're done. Then an injury to Thome is veiwed as a big plus. I've given up trying to understand the average Sox fan. :D

I think it is ONLY seen as a plus if he is able to rest his injuries and come back as strong as ever. If he isn't then and he is out for longer than 10-15 days, then it would be a downer for sure.

QUOTE(southsideirish @ Aug 24, 2006 -> 10:17 PM)
Just curious, but how is is K rate and hitting with RISP? To me it seems like he has been striking out more and hitting worse with RISP. That is just from watching the games and I could be totally off and it is just standing out to me more. Do you know the actual stats?

His power has dropped off lately, that is why it is not hard to replace at this moment.

On these points;

Thome has 17K's in 20 games this month. His highest was 32 in 27 games in May. So that's pretty good I'd say.

On his power he only has 3HR's this month. But, he also has 9 doubles, which is 5 higher than his previous best in any other month this season. And his OBP is at .444, 2nd best month of the season. So even though he's not hitting the long-ball as well as he was earlier in the year, he's producing well in other areas this month, which is still very important.