**8/26 Game Thread! SOX vs. twins

Brian

QUOTE(fathom @ Aug 26, 2006 -> 05:52 PM)
Yeah, I'm not saying that just because a guy is Latino, Ozzie's going to favor him. However, I think that Ozzie has developed some very close friendships with some of the guys on this team, and it's effecting the way he manages.

Maybe I phrased that poorly... but take Frankenstein (Freddy). He comes into camp late, out of shape, and high... and ozzie defends him. Bob Jenks comes in looking better than last year, getting guys out, and he needs to get into shape.

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(Dick Allen @ Aug 26, 2006 -> 05:53 PM)
For those of you who attend games, watch Ozzie during the course of a game. For a manager who supposedly manages by a hunch or by the gut, he sure does look at a lot of stats.

I'd love to know which stats it is he looks at. I really would. I'd love to know why Iguchi still gets days off against righties and plays against the lefty the next day, when he's hitting .230 against lefties. I'd love to know why Rob Mackowiak plays against lefties, or why he plays CF in general. I'd love to know why we don't try someone else leading off, especially with Podsednik's performance lately.

QUOTE(jamalmanburg @ Aug 26, 2006 -> 07:54 PM)
Maybe I phrased that poorly... but take Frankenstein (Freddy). He comes into camp late, out of shape, and high... and ozzie defends him. Bob Jenks comes in looking better than last year, getting guys out, and he needs to get into shape.

Jenks was woefully out of shape at the beginning of spring training, and was throwing the ball 91. He deserved the crap Ozzie gave him.

Hunter is swinging the bat just awesome right now. He has so much confidence at the plate, and he's hit two changeups for homers in the last two days. That's impressive considering how well he hits fastballs. It's too freaking bad that the Twins didn't trade him 3 months ago.

QUOTE(Milkman delivers @ Aug 26, 2006 -> 08:56 PM)
So, Torii Hunter has hit 4 homers against the Sox in the last 5 games?

Yeah and 5 total homers against the Sox so like 25% of his home runs are against us. Why we never make him move his feet is beyond me.

QUOTE(Milkman delivers @ Aug 27, 2006 -> 12:56 AM)
So, Torii Hunter has hit 4 homers against the Sox in the last 5 games?

I'll never understand why we don't throw at him more. With all of the bat tossing, etc., we've sure let him make us his b**** in the last 4 years.

QUOTE(Balta1701 @ Aug 26, 2006 -> 07:56 PM)
I'd love to know which stats it is he looks at. I really would. I'd love to know why Iguchi still gets days off against righties and plays against the lefty the next day, when he's hitting .230 against lefties. I'd love to know why Rob Mackowiak plays against lefties, or why he plays CF in general. I'd love to know why we don't try someone else leading off, especially with Podsednik's performance lately.

Maybe he waits until he already made out the line-up to look at them, but everytime he makes a move during a game, he's looking at a book. I think that's one of the reasons he's so lefty/lefty, righty/righty happy.

QUOTE(fathom @ Aug 26, 2006 -> 05:57 PM)
Hunter is swinging the bat just awesome right now. He has so much confidence at the plate, and he's hit two changeups for homers in the last two days. That's impressive considering how well he hits fastballs. It's too freaking bad that the Twins didn't trade him 3 months ago.

I'm really starting to think the Twins will make a real effort to pick up his contract in the offseason, especially with this recent streak and money from a few playoff games.

And I still think McCarthy has looked really good out there.