And That's a White Sox Loser

fathom

QUOTE(jkrem32 @ Sep 4, 2006 -> 10:36 PM)
Point the finger in the direction it should be pointed--KW traded Young, whose future is "unknown" but has potential for a player with a "known" past that defined him as a 500 pitcher. He gets paid to not make these mistakes.

Aaron Guiel is not a CF, he cannot play CF and would be a butcher in CF. You have this guy on our team already, his name is Mackowiak.

The guy we should of picked up for a platoon would of been Brady Clark. He is right handed, can play left and center. Is a leadoff type guy, and would of been the right choice. He also is a line drive guy.

• Replies 128
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Good point on Brady Clark.

I was just watching the Royals game and saw Guiel was 2-2 for the Yanquis and

it made me realize how much I liked him as a player in KC.

Hindsight being 20-20, we really did need to make a move or moves at the trading

deadline to spark us.

Oh I forgot we did add MacDougal who I hated watching up close as a member

of the Royals.

Edited by greg775

QUOTE(southsideirish71 @ Sep 4, 2006 -> 10:40 PM)
Aaron Guiel is not a CF, he cannot play CF and would be a butcher in CF. You have this guy on our team already, his name is Mackowiak.

The guy we should of picked up for a platoon would of been Brady Clark. He is right handed, can play left and center. Is a leadoff type guy, and would of been the right choice. He also is a line drive guy.

Sounds good. Anybody have any idea if this guy was really on the trading block? Or what the Brewers were asking for?

QUOTE(greg775 @ Sep 4, 2006 -> 10:40 PM)
Noppe. Jenks did blow the game but he's been good all year, unlike Thornton,

Cotts and MacD who I can't believe some are so infatuated with.

And Jenks didn't completely blow it. He only gave up the one run. We still

coulda won it, but nooooo BMac comes in and BAM!

But he's being misused so he's getting a free pass from some.

Thornton 3.40 ERA 1.22 WHIP .222 BAA

How is this not good. Again

QUOTE(Jordan4life_2006 @ Sep 4, 2006 -> 10:42 PM)
Sounds good. Anybody have any idea if this guy was really on the trading block? Or what the Brewers were asking for?

He is a 33 year old player making 2 mill a year, and they traded for Lance Nix

He is a rental pure and simple.

He just is not going to get it, and its extremely annoying.

Rather than get mad, why not educate me on what makes Thornton good?

When he comes in, I see a tall lefty ready to implode.

Educate me. I am ready and willing to become a Thornton backer.

QUOTE(greg775 @ Sep 4, 2006 -> 10:42 PM)
Good point on Brady Clark.

I was just watching the Royals game and saw Guiel was 2-2 for the Yanquis and

it made me realize how much I liked him as a player in KC.

Hindsight being 20-20, we really did need to make a move or moves at the trading

deadline to spark us.

Oh I forgot we did add MacDougal who I hated watching up close as a member

of the Royals.

You are ga ga over a guy hitting .216 who is a career .243 hitter.

I am confused.

QUOTE(southsideirish71 @ Sep 4, 2006 -> 10:42 PM)
Thornton 3.40 ERA 1.22 WHIP .222 BAA

How is this not good. Again

His whip and baa are better than Bobby Jenks, and his era is only 0.02 higher, and the guy probably thinks Thornton sucks and Jenks is the greatest.

Edited by Dick Allen

QUOTE(Dick Allen @ Sep 4, 2006 -> 10:51 PM)
His whip and baa are better than Bobby Jenks, and his era is only 0.02 higher, and the guy probably thinks Thornton sucks and Jenks is the greatest.

And the answer to our CF platoon problem is a 33 year old guy who cant play CF, cant hit, cant run, and was released by the Royals earlier this season and has a worse batting average than the guy he is supposed to shore it up for.

f*** stats, numbers are the devils code anyways. Alligators are ornery because they have a lot of teeth and no toothbrush.

QUOTE(Dick Allen @ Sep 5, 2006 -> 03:51 AM)

DA...what's your opinion on the Jenks and his lack of consistently velocity this season? He's only been in the real high 90s about 1/5 of the games he's been in. Last year, he was in the very high 90s a lot more often? Do you think it is due to just wear and tear on his arm over the year, or might his conditioning be preventing consistent performances? He's had a very good season this year, but I hope he can hold up the rest of the way. He went from having his best stuff of the season (Sat night) to his worst tonight.

QUOTE(fathom @ Sep 4, 2006 -> 10:56 PM)
DA...what's your opinion on the Jenks and his lack of consistently velocity this season? He's only been in the real high 90s about 1/5 of the games he's been in. Last year, he was in the very high 90s a lot more often? Do you think it is due to just wear and tear on his arm over the year, or might his conditioning be preventing consistent performances? He's had a very good season this year, but I hope he can hold up the rest of the way. He went from having his best stuff of the season (Sat night) to his worst tonight.

I would say its lack of consistancy in getting work. With the O and how our pitching has been. We have used him wierd this year. 3 inning outings. coming out every game for a week, then not at all for a while.

I think he needs a better conditioning program for the offseason so he comes to pitch next ST. Also they need to get him more innings in ST as he says it takes him longer to build up arm strength.

QUOTE(fathom @ Sep 4, 2006 -> 10:56 PM)

Personally, I think it probably is the couple things you mentioned. Wasn't last year his first year relieving? It seems to me he was never a big innings guy even when he was starting. Maybe all the appearances are taking a toll, and the bigger factor to me was his attempt to put Old Country Buffett out of business all by himself last offseason. He's fat. I hope the Sox monitor his weight this offseason. But I'm with you, watching Zumaya on ESPN last night consistently go 100,101,102 made me wonder what happened to Jenks 100 mph heater. Bobby has gotten his curveball over and at least close enough to swing at with 2 strikes this season. If not for that, his ERA would probably be 4.50-5.00 IMO.

QUOTE(jkrem32 @ Sep 4, 2006 -> 09:52 PM)
The "heart" of this team got "transplanted" to Philadelppphia

I don't know about any of that, but right now the heart of our team seems to be Konerko and his "well, if we win or lose this series it's no big deal either way." That's barely a pulse.

Also, what's the next "easy" team on our schedule that will make us forget this loss?

QUOTE(Dick Allen @ Sep 5, 2006 -> 04:03 AM)
Personally, I think it probably is the couple things you mentioned. Wasn't last year his first year relieving? It seems to me he was never a big innings guy even when he was starting. Maybe all the appearances are taking a toll, and the bigger factor to me was his attempt to put Old Country Buffett out of business all by himself last offseason. He's fat. I hope the Sox monitor his weight this offseason. But I'm with you, watching Zumaya on ESPN last night consistently go 100,101,102 made me wonder what happened to Jenks 100 mph heater. Bobby has gotten his curveball over and at least close enough to swing at with 2 strikes this season. If not for that, his ERA would probably be 4.50-5.00 IMO.

Great response....I was actually thinking in the hour since I posted the question to you about how Zumaya seems to be pretty consistent in his velocity. And just like you said, Jenks best pitch is his curveball this season. He rarely throws his fastball past people for strike 3. Rather, he sets up his curve by getting a called first pitch fastball, and then the batter will foul off the fastball. If he gets 2 strikes without throwing his hook, the hitter has no chance.

LH are hitting .206 against him, with RH just hitting .231

He has been great for the Sox coming out the pen.

Do you want me to do MacDougal next?

Thanks Tony.

I like these stats. How many walks? WPs and hit batsmen?

And how many blown leads by Mac and Thornton please.

I'll trust you that Thornton, MacD and Bobby are good relievers I guess.

Cause they are gonna be our big 3 again next year obviously.

QUOTE(Dick Allen @ Sep 4, 2006 -> 08:22 PM)
I've said it a 1000 times, the Vazquez trade will be KW's worst ever. He can't do much worse. A lot of people point to Vazquez's record, but his record is crap considering he has had the lead in all but 2 starts, and sometimes he had the lead 3 times in the same game.

^^^^^

If Ozzie weren't golfing buddies with this useless sap, there would be no way Kenny Williams would have spent two years in pursuit of him.

It wasn't even like he came at a fixer-upper price. He's got the best pure stuff, but that's what they said about Garland for years while he struggled. Vag-quez tilts too easily to get that kind of paycheck. So great, let's sign an overpriced career .500 pitcher who gives up a lot of home runs to pitch at a slugger's playground.

This deal must have been done during 'take your kid to work day' or something.

QUOTE(fathom @ Sep 4, 2006 -> 11:56 PM)

I think Jenks toned back the fastball so he could be more consistent with his curve. Last year he had no comand of the curve. This was his 3rd blown save, I know it's bad timing, but 3 blown saves is not bad.

Just a FWIW on Vazquez, in 6 GS in August he had 3.41 ERA with a .239 BAA, much lower than his middle months.

I know Chris Young is going to make us wince everytime we watch the D-Backs play (assuming he stays there), but I think Javy has shown he may actually be starting to turn it around a bit.

He hasn't given up more than 4ER in his last 6 starts.

QUOTE(fathom @ Sep 4, 2006 -> 07:21 PM)
McCarthy deserves some criticism...he's been real bad this year in close games. It's just such a waste of a season for him, and he's not a reliever with his stuff.

Just last week, people criticized Ozzie for not using B-Mac in big-game situations.

I'm so sick of people making excuses for Golden Boy's mediocre pitching this season. He's had all freaking season to adjust to the sporadic work that a long-reliever gets. At some point he has to get the job done, despite the fact that he's been a starter thoughout his career and despite how many innings he has or hasn't thrown lately. I really think that B-Mac will eventually be a very good pitcher, but he has a long way to go.

QUOTE(Hangar18 @ Sep 5, 2006 -> 09:25 AM)
I'll be completely honest. As soon as the Red Sox tied it in the 9th, and knowing Jenks cant pitch more than one inning, and knowing how our bullpen cant hold a lead ............

I turned the TV off.

Are you serious? We have one of the better bullpens in baseball. Our pen is a lot stronger than our starting staff, actually.