It's OVA!

retro1983hat

QUOTE(greg775 @ Sep 23, 2006 -> 02:46 PM)
This "rest" issue is beyond belief.

We act like playing baseball is running a marathon every day.

Beat up? Yes the team is injured.

But rest??

Our guys play station to station baseball.

Maybe our pitchers arms need rest.

I wish some of yu former pitchers would educate us on what pitchers do in the

offseason. Will they truly rest the arm??

Or do they throw?

This rest issue puzzles me.

I agree our team is HURT, banged up.

But tired? Playing baseball???? This aint running marathons.

Wow. This is getting ridiculous. Baseball is a daily grind. Some of the crap people say is just so moronic that it's unbelievable. You must not have ever played baseball because anyone with a grain of knowledge know's that these guy's play tired all the time. Just because they get paid a lot doesn't make it an easy sport to play.

These guys are thinking baseball 24/7. DO NOT tell me, or anyone else, that they're not tired, because they're not, they're exhausted. There is more to baseball than a 9 inning game every day. They wake up early, get to the park, and work. They get a couple days off every month, but no, they're not tired.

What puzzles ME is how people can be so idiotic.

Edited by SoxFan1

• Replies 148
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(SoxFan1 @ Sep 24, 2006 -> 10:30 PM)
Wow. This is getting ridiculous. Baseball is a daily grind. Some of the crap people say is just so moronic that it's unbelievable. You must not have ever played baseball because anyone with a grain of knowledge know's that these guy's play tired all the time. Just because they get paid a lot doesn't make it an easy sport to play.

These guys are thinking baseball 24/7. DO NOT tell me, or anyone else, that they're not tired, because they're not, they're exhausted. There is more to baseball than a 9 inning game every day. They wake up early, get to the park, and work. They get a couple days off every month, but no, they're not tired.

Last year brought out the best in Sox fans.

This year brought out the worst in Sox fans, especially some on this board.

I said I recognize they are injured and for that I applaud them.

I don't appreciate being called an idiot for thinking that the "tired" excuse

is lame.

Just because we played an extra three weeks last year?

Then why did Boston make the playoffs last year.

I applaud many of our Sox; I simply for the life of me can't believe we didn't make

the playoffs.

And yes did you notice Detroit AGAIN beat the piss out of the Royals this weekend

in KC. The Twins and Tigers OWNED the Royals; we didn't really own anybody.

I said our pitchers arms may be tired and we are beat up.

But to think we aren't advancing because we are a tired team I think is a ridiculous

argument.

If we are tired every team is tired.

QUOTE(greg775 @ Sep 25, 2006 -> 02:23 AM)
Then why did Boston make the playoffs last year.

Honestly greg, a lot of that had to do with the AL being weak last year. There were arguably 6 good teams in the AL last year(New York, Boston, Chicago, Cleveland, Anaheim, and maybe Oakland)...Oakland was mediocre at the end of the season, and Cleveland choked something huge, leaving 4 teams at the end. Boston was pretty much a Grady Sizemore catch away from being home in October.

This year, there was New York, Boston, Toronto, Detroit, Minnesota, Chicago, Anaheim, and Oakland. Those two added teams really did make it that much more difficult to get in, and it just drained the Sox.

I don't buy the tired excuse either. If they're tired, use the bench...it's not like EVERY person on the team won a ring last year. In fact, it's quite the opposite, as KW tried to bring in plenty of new blood(I count 9 guys off the top of my head who were not on the team last year that were on the team come August) to try and keep the team hungry, and he improved the bench in order for Ozzie to use them to keep the players fresh down the stretch. That's not going to do much when Ozzie virtually refuses to rest his big guns and he wears the holy piss out of his rotation. As a result, you saw the rotation break down this year, and you saw all the big bats go cold when the pitching was starting to rebound.

Next year will be different. A better leadoff hitter will be a hell of a start, and the rotation can't pitch any worse than it did this year. The Sox could bring another trophy to Chicago come next October, because as much as some think the Sox are in a world of hurt for next year, it appears to me that they are in good shape, with only one free agent(without an option). This was a very good team that never gelled, for whatever reason. If they had, they would have won the division running away.

QUOTE(SoxFan1 @ Sep 24, 2006 -> 10:30 PM)

Add to that the amount of traveling and being away from home, any sort of "normal" routine, and staying in hotels and I'd say it's not as easy as it seems.

I'm not 100% excusing them, because every other team goes through the same thing, but when you consider the amount of innings the starters logged in October, then the shorter rest/recovery period they got because of playing longer than any other AL team, there had to be some effect as a result.

I'm honestly surprised at the level of venom aimed at this year's club. Sure, it's disappointing to see them not make the playoffs, but to see what looks to me like hatred is stunning.

QUOTE(The Critic @ Sep 25, 2006 -> 08:36 AM)
Add to that the amount of traveling and being away from home, any sort of "normal" routine, and staying in hotels and I'd say it's not as easy as it seems.

I'm not 100% excusing them, because every other team goes through the same thing, but when you consider the amount of innings the starters logged in October, then the shorter rest/recovery period they got because of playing longer than any other AL team, there had to be some effect as a result.

I'm honestly surprised at the level of venom aimed at this year's club. Sure, it's disappointing to see them not make the playoffs, but to see what looks to me like hatred is stunning.

SF1 and Critic are right on. I know some professional athletes at the highest level. It is NOT easy. The mental side of the game(s) are sometimes more tiring then the physical. If then, you have physical nags, the tired becomes that much worse.

It IS an excuse, as every team has to play through it. But it STILL gives NO reason to treat these guys like a pile of s*** like some here do.

These guys are still not mathematically eliminated. That tells me they played all the way through the last week of September. They are almost to 90 wins - which at the beginning of the year to some of you so-called experts now b****ing they mailed it in - was going to get them in the playoffs.

The division turned out to be better then anyone predicted from top to (almost - KC sucks) bottom.

QUOTE(SoxHawk1980 @ Sep 21, 2006 -> 07:29 AM)
The problem is that this team isn't playing with fire and intensity game in and game out. Way too often they just sleepwalk through games. 100% effort every night is not too much to ask for. It is the least that we fans deserve.

Yes. Games that would be labeled "must win", they would instead sleepwalk thru.

Yeah, there were numerous games where we needed to SWEEP a team, and instead lose that 3rd game, lose intensity and focus, and just be content to take 2 of 3, because thats what "winning" teams do. Championship teams "SWEEP" teams and put them away is how I look at it. Which set us up for the inevitable, the Bad Breaks. That Oakland series, we needed a Sweep in the worst way. 2 of those games, we got a few bad breaks, as those were winnable. Thats what happens when you set yourself up like that.

I gave the SOX their Standing O during the Parade and Opening Day. Anything else after that, they need to Re-Earn, because 2005 was Last Year.

My bench remark looks stupid right now. I should probably read the whole thread before I make such comments. I'll take that back.

I still will not buy the tired excuse. Sure they're tired...but they aren't going to convince me that 29 other teams aren't mentally and physically exhausted either.

QUOTE(witesoxfan @ Sep 25, 2006 -> 03:51 PM)
My bench remark looks stupid right now. I should probably read the whole thread before I make such comments. I'll take that back.

I still will not buy the tired excuse. Sure they're tired...but they aren't going to convince me that 29 other teams aren't mentally and physically exhausted either.

Your 100% correct. All the teams play the same number of games, it boils down to intensity and this team didn't have the intensity to win like the 2005 team did.

QUOTE(whitesox1976 @ Sep 25, 2006 -> 09:45 PM)
Your 100% correct. All the teams play the same number of games, it boils down to intensity and this team didn't have the intensity to win like the 2005 team did.

Aaron Rowand would never have allowed these Zombies in his clubhouse. Paul Konerko, with his " Tip you hat to the other guys" routine makes me sick. You should be pissed, breaking chairs and TV's. But what's he gotta worry about? He's gonna chill at home collecting his 12 mil per year.......Grow some cojones, Konerko!

QUOTE(greg775 @ Sep 25, 2006 -> 10:38 PM)
How did our fans react after the game was over?

It was a nice home win with the home runs (what else, when we win).

Did they cheer or just walk away.

Attendance for the game was a sellout, somewhere upward of 37,000. A lot of those people were there disguised as empty seats, however. I don't know what the turnstile attendance was, but I'd guess that there were about 25,000 fans actually there. This is based on nothing but my own observations.

By the end of the game, there were fewer fans there. The crowd was having a good time, what with the offensive fireworks and all. Neal Cotts was the only player to receive boos, for obvious reasons.

After the Sox congratulated themselves on the win, shaking hands around the pitcher's mound, they took a little extra time to acknowledge the fans, tipping their hats and waving to the crowd. Those of us who were still there were mostly standing and applauding with appreciation. We had been standing since there were two outs in the 9th, most of us just didn't sit down.

It was very bittersweet. It was nice of the players to acknowledge the fans, as far as I'm concerned.

QUOTE(Tony82087 @ Sep 19, 2006 -> 03:39 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Rock, what should I cheer for on Sunday?

I really hate to say this, but there's a lot that some of you "Sox fans" could learn from Cubs fans, like supporting your team. Hell, even KC fans wear KC hats, man. Why? Because they support their team. But there's a difference between us, the Cubs, the Royals and EVERYBODY ELSE, and that's the fact that last year, WE won the World Series. Sure, I'm dissapointed, but having to wait another year for a possible playoff chance is much easier now that they've won a World Series the previous year. We can at least have a cushion for a while. The Cubs haven't done it in nearly a century. So be thankful, and look forward to next year.

Edited by TheBigHurt

QUOTE(TheBigHurt @ Sep 26, 2006 -> 04:25 PM)
I really hate to say this, but there's a lot that some of you "Sox fans" could learn from Cubs fans, like supporting your team. Hell, even KC fans wear KC hats, man. Why? Because they support their team. But there's a difference between us, the Cubs, the Royals and EVERYBODY ELSE, and that's the fact that last year, WE won the World Series. Sure, I'm dissapointed, but having to wait another year for a possible playoff chance is much easier now that they've won a World Series the previous year. We can at least have a cushion for a while. The Cubs haven't done it in nearly a century. So be thankful, and look forward to next year.

You didn't answer his question.

Here's my one question about the pitching staff...

At the beginning of the season, part of the reason that the Sox went out and placed six starters on the 25-man roster was to limit the innings on the arms of our four returning starters from last year's playoff run. We were told that, to avoid fatigue, McCarthy would get occasional spot starts.

How many starts did McCarthy get this year? One. One start.

That's why I cringe when people even bring up Buehrle and Garcia injuries. I cringe when I see Don Cooper come out and say Freddy was pitching hurt, or that Buehrle was pitching through pain, or injury, or fatigue, or whatever it was that caused the worst two seasons in both careers of the pitchers I mentioned.

Somebody f***ed up. Somebody f***ed up big time. Whoever told, or allowed Garcia to keep pitching through his injury needs to be talked to. I respect trying to play through pain, but not when it gets to the point where you're hurting your team. You're telling me that Garcia couldn't have used a DL trip in July or August, where, in both months combined, he gave us about 70 innings of an ERA north of five-and-a-half? You're telling me Buehrle couldn't have used a rest in July, a month in which he gave up 34 (!) earned runs?

BTW, I'll say it right now -- I doubt that McCarthy starting three-seven more games is/was the difference between the Sox being an 89 win team vs a 93 win team. But I sure as hell would've liked to have seen McCarthy used in more of a spot starter role, the role that we were told he'd be used in to start the season...

Nah, I wouldn't have booed the players on Sunday. What's that going to accomplish? This is a team that is going to finish with the sixth best record in baseball. It's unfortunate that this year, two teams ahead of you are also two teams in your division, but that's baseball. There are certain guys who I don't think were giving full effort all the time, but collectively, I don't think they 'dogged' it.

As far as being 'tired' down the stretch -- yeah, I believe that they're tired -- but so is every other team. And our bench was plenty equipped to take more starts away from our starters. Gload could've played more at first. Mackowiak could've played more in RF and 3B, rather than going in for Anderson every other day.

And, who are these decisions left up to? The manager. Ozzie didn't use one ounce of creativity this year. I keep hearing players say he doesn't go by the book. WTF games are they watching? That's all Ozzie does. He plays every R/L matchup on the name of the earth, when it comes to our bullpen; f***, I remember he wouldn't let Matt Thorton pitch to Omar freakin' Infante. Then there's the handling of Anderson throughout the season, to allowing Scott Podsednik, of the .298 OBP variety in the second half, to battle through his struggles despite the fact that there were three better options on the bench and two better options (at least) down at Charlotte.

Overall, it was a fairly dissappointing year, but I'm happy that we were in a pennant race for most of the season. I'm happy that the fans, by averaging 35K or whatever it was this year, have allowed Kenny to maybe even delve into that $100 million dollar payroll range. And, most importantly, I look forward to the challenge of getting to October in 2007.

Goodnight, America. :D

Edited by CWSGuy406

QUOTE(Tony82087 @ Sep 26, 2006 -> 11:03 PM)
:crying :crying :crying

I will say one thing, your right about Cub fans, and you really would fit in perfect on the North Side.

If you want to accept mediocrity, fine, you seem happy with this season. That doesnt do it for me. This "cushion" you speak off, thats a freakin' joke. We won the World Series. Good, thats what were supposed to do. Now do it again, or at least get back to the post season. I love this franchise, but im not going to let a World Series give them a 10 year "pass" on winning.

Oh, and please spare me on quoting me, then putting "You Sox fans" in sarcastic quotations, insinuating some of us are bad fans. I'm a 19 year old college student that was able to scrounge up over $800 bucks for a 27 game package, and that doesnt count the trip a few of us made out to Cinncy to see this club. Ironic im getting the "Your a bad fan" routine from a guy that claims he lives by Midway, and his sig claims he has been to 1 game.

I guess my biggest complaint, Tony, is when a team is going to finish with nearly 90 wins, it's not "mediocrity" when they finish in THIRD PLACE with 90 wins! That's freakish, honestly. These guys had mental problems in my opinion... they just could never find the extra gear all year. We were all looking for that spark that would get them going, and just when we thought we'd see it, they would peter out.

Mediocrity, IMO, would be finishing below .500, not 90 wins. Am I disappointed? Hell yes! But, I certainly think that there shouldn't be bitterness like we see all over the board.

QUOTE(Princess Dye @ Sep 25, 2006 -> 12:51 PM)
sixth best record in baseball. dont let yourself look bad just because you're disappointed.

Like oh my god! The 6th best record in baseball? Sox fans all over the world should salivate. NOT! We finished in 3rd fricking place. We're 31-41 (make that 31-42 with tonight's pathetic effort) since July 7th. This has been a wasted season. Period.

QUOTE(Tony82087 @ Sep 27, 2006 -> 02:56 AM)
Some of it goes over the top, no doubt, and I think we both know who has been guilty of that. I personally think I am fair with my criticisms, but to each his own.

Yea, you're right. I didn't mean to single you out in this instance. It *is* frustrating watching your team get slaughtered when it counts, and this team did. I'm a huge hockey fan, and I have had season tickets here in Dallas for quite some time. And they choke their asses off in the playoffs every year. Baseball is MUCH harder to make the show... but I always try to remember that this is for my entertainment and to get me away from every day stresses and to have fun. If you're that frustrated, it might not be a good idea to pony that kind of money up is I guess what I'm saying. (edit- not YOU per se, Tony, but the idea...)

QUOTE(Sox Machine @ Sep 27, 2006 -> 12:34 AM)
Reading this thread makes me wonder how Sox fans survived in 101 out of the previous 104 years.

We're pretty much completely sadistic, by and large.

...and we don't appreciate when our teams do not live up to expectations. This was a playoff bound, 100 win team before the season, because that's what the fans expected. They're not going to win 90 games.