Cora becomes bench coach

3 BeWareTheNewSox 5

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(Chisoxfn @ Oct 26, 2006 -> 06:55 PM)
Completely agree. That said I think people have been far more negative when it comes to Cora than he really deserves.

Coaches and Presidents receive too much blame and credit.

QUOTE(Texsox @ Oct 27, 2006 -> 04:53 AM)
Coaches and Presidents receive too much blame and credit.

I think thats true when we judge Ozzie Guillen... but in the case with Joey Cora not so much so. The runner is instructed to do as the 3B coach tells him too... so Konerko/Thome running to home when they have only a prayer to make it is directly Cora's fault. Since Cora was actually on the field its easier to judge his performance than a manager or a pitching/hitting coach.

QUOTE(whitesoxfan101 @ Oct 26, 2006 -> 11:36 PM)
There is no way in hell he could be as bad as Cora.

I don't think it's a stretch at all.

Razor has managed each of the last three seasons (the only 3 I've really paid attention to his teams) with a much more aggressive style than Ozzie. I don't see why the guy who gave practically every player on his club the green light to steal would suddenly be anything but aggressive in his approach as third base coach.

QUOTE(Gene Honda Civic @ Oct 27, 2006 -> 01:09 AM)

Razor has managed each of the last three seasons (the only 3 I've really paid attention to his teams) with a much more aggressive style than Ozzie. I don't see why the guy who gave practically every player on his club the green light to steal would suddenly be anything but aggressive in his approach as third base coach.

Hmm ok. Well Cora literally cost us at least a run a game the last 3 months of this year, so I'll stand by what I said. But interesting point.

QUOTE(Gene Honda Civic @ Oct 27, 2006 -> 04:09 PM)

Which is probably a major reason why he got the job.

Ozzie likes his baserunners to be aggressive, and Shines fits that mould like Joey Cora.

Just saying that there's a major lovefest for Shines right now and a major hate for Joey Cora, and it wouldn't suprise me at this time next year people on here are hating on Razor Shines for the same reasons they did with Joey.

QUOTE(Tony82087 @ Oct 27, 2006 -> 08:11 AM)
If Shines does a great job in 2007, you will be lucky to see mention of him anywhere on this site. If he sucks, get ready for 10 or 12 threads about it. That's just comes with being a base coach.

Yep, I don't remember one Cora thread in 2005.

Cora is a great baseball man and he is Ozzie's go to guy. THis is a great move. I think we all were pretty frusterated with a few of Cora's decisions to send Konerko and THome home last season haha. I'm not going to bash him for that because of what he did for this team in 2005. However, i think a change is neccessary. Hopefully Razor Shines does an awesome job at 3B if he is indeed the new 3b coach. That leaves 1B open. Hmm come back home 'Rockin' Robin Ventura!! ;)

QUOTE(Tony82087 @ Oct 26, 2006 -> 04:57 PM)
Cora was in the running for almost every managing job open it seemed. He is a smart baseball man, but was not cut out for 3rd base duties. I'm excited to get Razor on board, and I hope he has a good arm at 3rd.

I have certainly heard Cora's name associated with several openings. How many jobs was he actually interviewed for? It seems every year there are a couple of minority candidates that become popular for interviews to cover fair hiring practices, but are not all that seriously considered. It's very similar in the NFL.

QUOTE(SoxHawk1980 @ Oct 27, 2006 -> 08:29 AM)
If he is as bad at that job as Cora was, then yes he will get a lot of richly deserved criticism.

It's going to be really hard for that to happen. Seriously, all you have to do is realize that Konerko, AJ, and Thome are slow, and should not be rounding third as the outfielder picks up the ball. No matter how bad the throw is, they're still out. If the OF still has a few steps to go before he gets to the ball, or it's anyone else running, I don't mind it as much depending on the situation (i.e. don't get thrown out at home with JD on deck).

Be a little more conservative with the slow guys, that's all we really want.

It's going to be really hard for that to happen. Seriously, all you have to do is realize that Konerko, AJ, and Thome are slow, and should not be rounding third as the outfielder picks up the ball. No matter how bad the throw is, they're still out. If the OF still has a few steps to go before he gets to the ball, or it's anyone else running, I don't mind it as much depending on the situation (i.e. don't get thrown out at home with JD on deck).

Be a little more conservative with the slow guys, that's all we really want.

Me too, but the problem is that I don't think that is what Ozzie wants.

I can't believe how bad a 3B coach Cora was.

Can anybody list some of his more memorable waves home?

I wonder what Joey's percentage was when he waved a guy.

I remember one game a guy barely crossed 3B bag when the outfielder picked

up the ball.

QUOTE(whitesoxfan101 @ Oct 27, 2006 -> 12:29 AM)
Hmm ok. Well Cora literally cost us at least a run a game the last 3 months of this year, so I'll stand by what I said. But interesting point.

I've never seen a more ridiculous statement in my life. You really think Cora cost us over 60 runs? Please. You people need a better outlet for your frustration.