Garcia to Philly for Gavin Floyd and Gio Gonzalez

BobDylan

All of the ESPN baseball analysts love this deal as well, and I feel comfortable in both of our opinions. I feel sorry for anyone crying over it. OUr team gets better THIS year and in the future.

QUOTE(CWSGuy406 @ Dec 7, 2006 -> 03:19 PM)
WTF are you talking about? BMac was a below average reliever last year. I'd be willing to bet that Haeger or Floyd do better than BMac in the bullpen last year.

The sixth man in our bullpen isn't going to make us "significantly worse" heading into next year, either way.

Also, you talk about how we now lack starting pitching depth. Haeger is unproven, yes, but so are most teams' sixth and seventh starters. That's not unique to the Sox; it's either that or veteran retread types like Tim Redding. I'd say our depth at the starting pitching spot is, at worst, average. Our current sixth and seventh starters (Haeger and Phillips) are two guys coming off of seasons with ERAs bordering 3.00 in a hitters haven at Charlotte. You're picking nits here.

Uh yeah, plus BMAC>Garcia in the rotation so its not really a fair comparison.

• Replies 894
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(Hatchetman @ Dec 7, 2006 -> 02:21 PM)
are you saying bmac is a better pitcher in 2007 than garcia? that's nuts.

I'd say the odds of that happening are pretty high actually.

I for one can't wait to see what Brandon can do in a full 30+ start season in the big leagues.

QUOTE(quickman @ Dec 7, 2006 -> 08:11 AM)
So the cubs beat writer Paul sullivan is on the score right now and just slammed the Sox on the garcia trade, saying they traded one of the best established pitchers on the trade market for two nothings. I agree.

Who cares what Sullivan thinks. He probably thinks the Cubs got Lilly for a bargain.

Rob Neyer

"More to the point, Williams has apparently taken note of the fact that even average starting pitchers these days are getting paid eight figures per season, which means there's absolutely nothing more valuable than a young, cheap starting pitcher who can post a league-average ERA (or even somewhat worse). Because if you don't have a few of those guys you wind up spending $40 million on Ted Lilly. (Really!)

...if the Phillies aren't serious contenders for the postseason – or if Garcia isn't traded for a good young player before July 31 – this deal could wind up being fairly infamous among Phillies fans. I guess it's a good thing they're not passionate about stuff like that."

Let me preface this by saying i am a big fan of the trade for the many reasons everyone has stated for liking the trade...

In saying this i looked at the negatives on Gio... his height, era last year...

I decided to compare him to someone with a similar makeup... Johan Santana.

Santana's stats up to the age of 21 are freakishly similar tothat of Gio. They are similar builds, similar stuff.

Only time will tell, but i hated the fact we got rid of Gio last year and i am estatic to have him back.

The late great Branch Rickey once said something along the lines of ... It's better to trade a player a year too early than a year too late. I put this Garcia deal into that catagory without even taking into consideration his pending free agency.

QUOTE(RockRaines @ Dec 7, 2006 -> 11:26 AM)
I repeat

BMAC in the rotation>Garcia in the rotation.

We get better immediately this year. ANd with the spects, next year. Its pretty black and white people.

And 10 million dollars of additional flexibility this year. But people are stupid *waves at them*, so they can't figure this out. It's pretty simple.

So Dayn Perry likes the deal. Should we be worried? :D

Best Trade

Not much to choose from here, but you've got to like the White Sox's haul in the Freddy Garcia trade. They're ready to plug Brandon McCarthy into the rotation, so that left them free to deal a starter. In return, they get two solid pitching prospects. Gavin Floyd has scouting bona fides for days, but so far the performance hasn't been there. A change of scenery might serve him well, and there's always the possibility of trying him in relief. Gio Gonzalez was a former Sox farmhand who went to Philly as part of the Jim Thome trade. He's a hard-throwing lefty with good stuff but occasional control problems. Again, if he's unable to pass muster as a starter, then he'll make a nifty bullpen addition for Chicago.

QUOTE(Vance Law @ Dec 8, 2006 -> 06:51 PM)
More evidence of how rediculous the FA market is for pitchers

Jason Marquis: "...will seek an annual salary of at least $10 million.

The right-hander went 14-16 with a 6.02 ERA with the Cardinals in 2006 and allowed a league-leading 35 home runs."

The sad part is some team will probably give it to him.

I'm not as mad about the Freddie deal today.

It's almost as if the Sox just released him as the Royals

did Runelvys Hernandez.

I happened to like Mr. One Hitter Freddie but so many fans

hated him and there was so much talk about his non existent fastball

maybe that's all we could get for him.

That would be funny if Floyd beat out Brandon in spring training

for that starting spot.

Real funny.