Ross Gload Traded For Andrew Sisco

Ozzie's Accent

• Replies 142
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(DBAH0 @ Dec 17, 2006 -> 12:00 AM)
And I wouldn't use Sisco as a reliever. Have him start the year off at Charlotte as a starter, and let Boone Logan or a FA pickup be used as the lefty reliever out of the pen.

I know people keep talking about another bullpen arm, but I think the Sox are done in that department. The top four spots are locked; Jenks, Thorton, MacD, Aardsma. The next two spots will be earned by two of Boooone, Perez, Floyd, Sisco, and Haeger. Hell, Phillips might even have a shot at the LOOGY job. Oh, and then there's any NRIs brought in.

QUOTE(CWSGuy406 @ Dec 17, 2006 -> 12:37 AM)
I know people keep talking about another bullpen arm, but I think the Sox are done in that department. The top four spots are locked; Jenks, Thorton, MacD, Aardsma. The next two spots will be earned by two of Boooone, Perez, Floyd, Sisco, and Haeger. Hell, Phillips might even have a shot at the LOOGY job. Oh, and then there's any NRIs brought in.

The best part is, Floyd, Sisco and Haeger can be in Charlotte's rotation if they don't make the Sox pen.

QUOTE(DBAH0 @ Dec 16, 2006 -> 06:00 PM)
And a guy like Rogowski or Terrero can easily replace Gload on the bench

That's something i doubt. While I dont mind this trade, as it addresses a need, Ross is an excellent bench player... i think he has been our best bench player the past 2 seasons. where else have you seen someone get as few ab's as ross, and have him contribute as he did? sooo many guys would be stone cold sitting on the bench that much... but ross? no way. Rogo would be a long shot to get a bench spot, since he's a 1b/dh only... not flexible enough. at least ross could play right if he had to. I'd prefer for macowiak to not play 1st, keep him on the left side of the infield or spot left.

QUOTE(toasty @ Dec 16, 2006 -> 08:47 PM)
That's something i doubt. While I dont mind this trade, as it addresses a need, Ross is an excellent bench player... i think he has been our best bench player the past 2 seasons. where else have you seen someone get as few ab's as ross, and have him contribute as he did? sooo many guys would be stone cold sitting on the bench that much... but ross? no way. Rogo would be a long shot to get a bench spot, since he's a 1b/dh only... not flexible enough. at least ross could play right if he had to. I'd prefer for macowiak to not play 1st, keep him on the left side of the infield or spot left.

Rogo played LF quite a bit in the minors.

QUOTE(toasty @ Dec 17, 2006 -> 01:47 PM)

Well there was a reason Ross got so few AB's in the 1st place, it was because he was the backup 1B behind Paulie (who had a great offensive season) and the fact that he couldn't really handle the OF well enough defensively to be given AB's there ahead of the likes of Mackowiak (although I'm sure some posters here would argue against that point).

Hell I wanted him out mid season thru 2006 because he only had something like 33AB's somepoint in June and he was hitting below .200, and at that time we were CRYING out for a CF who can actually handle the position defensively.

As for Mackowiak, if he's not going to get AB's at CF this season, he needs to find other position to do so. Play anywhere from 1B, 3B, LF and RF to try and get the same amount of AB's as he did this season, because if he can hit like he did in 2006, his value will really rise because he's not going to cost the Sox as much defensively as he did at CF.

QUOTE(LosMediasBlancas @ Dec 17, 2006 -> 12:47 AM)
I love the heat, but isn't it more efffective to have a few fireballers mixed in with a few junk ballers in the pen? Hitters won't have to make many adjustments when they know every guy in our pen is gonna throw 95-100 mph heat.

The Royals might have become our farm system.

Just like the Cubs have the Pirates, we have the Royals.

And concerning the theory of having different pitchers, our guys have their differences. Jenks has that 12-6 curve besides his heat, Thornton sorta has a slider (when he's really on), MacDougal throws that 97 mph heater that runs in on righties. I don't know anything about Aardsma, honestly, but Sisco supposedly has a damn good slider to compliment it.

Basically, I'm saying that it's alright to have all these hard throwers because they seem to each have something about them that separates them from the next guy. It won't be the same look from each and every guy.

Great trade. Gload is a solid bench guy but an underwhelming option as a late inning pinch hitter, and though I loved having the guy on our team I was never happy when he got a rare start.

Sisco is indeed the perfect Coop reclamation project, because he came so cheap. Let's see what he can do.

Now maybe sign a guy not unlike Erubiel Durazo and see if he'd be of any value in Gload's old role.

QUOTE(R.J. @ Dec 17, 2006 -> 01:00 AM)
Great trade. Gload is a solid bench guy but an underwhelming option as a late inning pinch hitter, and though I loved having the guy on our team I was never happy when he got a rare start.

Sisco is indeed the perfect Coop reclamation project, because he came so cheap. Let's see what he can do.

Now maybe sign a guy not unlike Erubiel Durazo and see if he'd be of any value in Gload's old role.

No, Gload's old role is completely obsolete right now. The real necessary bench role is that of back-up CF.

EDIT: The guy must also be righty.

Edited by Milkman delivers

QUOTE(Milkman delivers @ Dec 17, 2006 -> 04:03 PM)
No, Gload's old role is completely obsolete right now. The real necessary bench role is that of back-up CF.

EDIT: The guy must also be righty.

And for that reason alone, despite what other people may think, I think unless there's a signing or a trade from elsewhere, that 25th man spot is going to Luis Terrero.

QUOTE(DBAH0 @ Dec 16, 2006 -> 11:44 PM)
And for that reason alone, despite what other people may think, I think unless there's a signing or a trade from elsewhere, that 25th man spot is going to Luis Terrero.

YAY!!!

Edited by toasty