McCarthy Traded to Texas

SnB

• Replies 864
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If the White Sox will not resign Buehrle, I would vastly have preferred Buehrle be traded and BMac be kept

Keep in mind, everyone in the majors knows Mark Buehrle is destined for St.Louis, thus he has no value. And St.Louis would be silly to trade for him, because they figure he'll be available for them next year anyway.

Trading Buerhle was never an option unless it was just to unload him.

Our best value appeared to be Brandon McCarthy. Wanted Arias in this deal, but oh well.

Return value aside, I admire Williams for initiating this move because it's most certaintly a situation where he'll appear foolish for several seasons. I have to believe, park factors and strenth of opponents factored in, McCarthy will fare better than any 5th starter substitute our organization produces.

Every victory will be monitored. Every matchup will be assessed and compared to our current situation. It may not be fair, but I'm not to disagree with such actions. Williams knows what McCarthy is capable of. Whatever he does in Texas, no one within the White Sox organization can convince me -- with a straight face -- they didn't think he was capable of developing into a quality pitcher.

Only justice for Williams and those who blindly support every move of his is if Masset and Danks both develop into quality pitchers. I'm sure people will say, "let's wait before assessing this trade," but honestly -- is it reasonable to remain quiet for three seasons?

I share frustrations with Balta because, regardless of his noted failures in the bullpen, Brandon's essentially the pitcher we could least afford to lose. He's the pitcher who embodied Williams' approach of rebuilding a veteran staff with younger, cheaper starters who remain under control for 5+years. This is one particular move I'm not giving Williams any benefit of doubt.

QUOTE(Kalapse @ Dec 23, 2006 -> 09:11 PM)
I'll bet anyone 50 bucks right now that Mark Buehrle will not pitch for the Cardinals in 2007. If Mark ever pitches for St. Louis is will be at the tail end of his career, not during his prime.

I could fully believe Mark Buehrle would pitch for St. Louis in 2008. 2007...there would have to be something the White Sox would want for the Cardinals. And I still will not do Wainright + Reyes for Mark Buehrle (let alone the fact we'd need another 40 man spot).

QUOTE(Balta1701 @ Dec 23, 2006 -> 11:18 PM)
I could fully believe Mark Buehrle would pitch for St. Louis in 2008. 2007...there would have to be something the White Sox would want for the Cardinals. And I still will not do Wainright + Reyes for Mark Buehrle (let alone the fact we'd need another 40 man spot).

I make one damn post all day and I can't even get the year right. <_>

QUOTE(Flash Tizzle @ Dec 23, 2006 -> 09:13 PM)
I share frustrations with Balta because, regardless of his noted failures in the bullpen, Brandon's essentially the pitcher we could least afford to lose. He's the pitcher who embodied Williams' approach of rebuilding a veteran staff with younger, cheaper starters who remain under control for 5+years. This is one particular move I'm not giving Williams any benefit of doubt.

The one thing I will add is we could afford to lose Brandon, IF THE PRICE WAS RIGHT. We could afford to leave ourselves with 4 starters, if the price was right. I would be willing to risk this whole season on Charlie Haeger, if the price was right. But sitting here, looking at this deal over and over, I just don't think the price was right. Maybe the throw-in high school guy will prove me wrong at some point, but I just don't think the price was right.

QUOTE(sircaffey @ Dec 23, 2006 -> 09:20 PM)
Can't wait for the deadline to roll around when we're 8 games back...Let the minor leaguers start rolling in then.

Haven't there been enough teams in the Central make it a race after being 8 games back to show that you don't give up when being 8, or 15 games back at the AS break?

QUOTE(Balta1701 @ Dec 23, 2006 -> 11:21 PM)
Haven't there been enough teams in the Central make it a race after being 8 games back to show that you don't give up when being 8, or 15 games back at the AS break?

No. The last thing I would want this organization to do at this time would be to put blind hope into a couple of rare occurences in recent history. As long as we are going on recent history in the AL Central, I think it's blatently obvious that the White Sox are not a second half team.

Found a pic of the mystery man...

tempdavid_paisano.jpg

translated....

David Of the same country batted for 338 in the Summer League

I prospect

The young one outfielder Venezuelan David Of the same country was chosen to "All Stars" of the Venezuelan Summer League, which indicates the good future of Sharks.

By: Jose Luis Dwells.

jlmora@tiburonesdelaguaira.com.ve

August 11 - The Venezuelan Summer League, after finalizing campaign 2006, selected to the best players of the season position by position between which it honors the young person of the White Sox and Tiburones of the Guaira, David Of the same country.

Countryman (18), who played for the Baltimore-Chicago equipment was selected between the best gardeners of the season, according to informed the head into press of the salty troops Manuel Urbina.

The novice batted for 348 (195-66) of average in 52 games, with 13 doubles, 7 triples, 36 written down and 17 towed. Additionally, he showed good instinct to rob bases when being swindled 9 pads in 14 attempts.

QUOTE(scotty22hotty @ Dec 23, 2006 -> 08:59 PM)
Way to F up the team AGAIN Kenny

3rd place here we come

Apparently everyone is forgeting Minny's rotation woes are much worse than ours. Liriano and Radke are both gone. They will be harder to replace than Garcia and BMAC.

Roto

John Danks is the prime piece in the deal for the White Sox, but Masset, 24, is far more likely to help next season. A move to the pen has sent his stock soaring as a prospect, and it shouldn't be long before he settles in as a quality setup man. Before coming home from Mexico, he had 15 saves and a 22/2 K/BB ratio in 20 2/3 innings this winter.

QUOTE(spiderman @ Dec 23, 2006 -> 04:20 PM)
Danks split last season between Double-A Frisco and Triple-A Oklahoma, where he combined to go 9-9 with a 4.24 ERA in 27 games (26 starts). He has a career minor league record of 21-30 with a 4.20 ERA in 92 games (82 starts).

Question:

Did Danks pitch in pitcher friendly parks ???

It was actually the opposite. I think he was a guy that pitched in some very hitter friendly leagues.

QUOTE(SoxHawk1980 @ Dec 24, 2006 -> 12:00 AM)
If it was true that the trade was because of issues between Ozzie and Brandon, KW chose poorly.

I'm not saying that was it, but it made it easier than if his manager said they cannot go on without him.

QUOTE(Chisoxfn @ Dec 24, 2006 -> 12:03 AM)
It was actually the opposite. I think he was a guy that pitched in some very hitter friendly leagues.

You should get on AIM.

As for this hurting us much in 2007, I don't buy it. I think Bmac would have been around a 4.20 to 4.70 next year, and I think one of the other guys can do that, about like Freddy did last year.

I'm sorry, but are you kidding????????? I agree with you about how you think BMac would have done for us in 2007, but I think it is completely ridiculous to say that ANY of the pitchers in line to replace BMac would have done that. Those are the numbers of an average #3 starter in the AL. It is crazy to think that any of those pitchers (the vast majority of which appear to be not at all major league ready) can pull off #3 starter numbers in their first major league season. One should expect #5 starter numbers, and one can hope that they aren't horrible #5 starter numbers.

Any honest fan should expect a major downgrade in Garcia's rotation spot in 2007.