Trade RUMOR

dwalteroo

What a ridiculous trade rumor. Fields isn't ready, and if he is "ready" he's going to hit .240 with a .720 OPS this year, or something in the neighborhood, while probably playing pretty mediocre defense. Aybar would either do the same, or be forced out of the lineup by Ozzie because he wants to play Cintron.

Regardless, Uribe has said he's going to play, but just go to court every 15 days. There's no need for it.

QUOTE(Kalapse @ Jan 15, 2007 -> 11:50 AM)
Can anyone with Insider just summarize Gammon's blog entry, I have no use for mlbtraderumors.com.

mlbtraderumors.com basically covered it all...

If Juan Uribe's future is cloudy, the word is that the White Sox may go after Angels shortstop Erick Aybar. With Josh Fields coming at third, they can trade Joe Crede, if the Angels will take Crede knowing he can become a free agent at the end of the year.

That was all Gammons said. I don't see this happening, with or without Uribe here.

That would be one of the dumbest trades in franchise history. With a SS who may not play all season, trading Crede would be just plain dumb. KW wouldn't do something that stupid. It must be a Cubs fan who dreamed that crazy thing up.

Edited by whitesox1976

QUOTE(winninguglyin83 @ Jan 15, 2007 -> 10:54 AM)
somebody better tell Gammons Crede is not a free agent until after 2008

Did anyone see on the ESPN rumors page (I don't have that 'In' subscription) that Dye might get a long termed deal? I just checked and its still on ESPN.com. Maybe KW was clearing out some money for JD in case he gets Konerko-like deal next year. I just wish Crede would get that too..

:gosox1:

QUOTE(To LA from Chicago @ Jan 15, 2007 -> 07:23 PM)
Did anyone see on the ESPN rumors page (I don't have that 'In' subscription) that Dye might get a long termed deal? I just checked and its still on ESPN.com. Maybe KW was clearing out some money for JD in case he gets Konerko-like deal next year. I just wish Crede would get that too..

:gosox1:

The ESPN rumors page is just a quick summary of the Chicago Sun-Times article about KW saying he wants to keep JD on the team. They also speculate that JD would ask for Carlos Lee type money. KW talks about it would be great to have him back but to throw that much money at one player can cripple a team.

I don't see us making a deal for a SS until mid spring training if at all. The Sox will have a better idea then if Uribe will be able to play.

In regards to Dye, unless the sox are getting a huge break in his price they probably won't sign him, Buehrle or Crede to extensions until they see how their new crop of young hurlers pans out. If they all appear to be busts then I bet at least two of the three get extensions.

QUOTE(striker62704 @ Jan 15, 2007 -> 11:49 AM)
I don't see us making a deal for a SS until mid spring training if at all. The Sox will have a better idea then if Uribe will be able to play.

In regards to Dye, unless the sox are getting a huge break in his price they probably won't sign him, Buehrle or Crede to extensions until they see how their new crop of young hurlers pans out. If they all appear to be busts then I bet at least two of the three get extensions.

That's gonna be a really difficult way to do things, as it's probably pretty unlikely that more than 2 of them will see any significant time in the big leagues this season. Gio, Broadway, Danks, maybe Floyd, all stand a good chance of spending most to all of the season in AAA (and most of them probably shouldn't see the big leagues this season either).

QUOTE(hi8is @ Jan 15, 2007 -> 01:28 PM)
i know nothing of this angels short stop and have a feeling i shouldnt even bother looking into him.... dont see anything doing here

He actually strikes me as exactly the kind of guy the Sox might like. Probably the best defensive SS the Angels have (had a lot of errors in the minors though, but still has a very good arm), Cabrera included, Really really good speed (although needs to get his SB %age up, like a lot of young guys). Sort of a slap hitter, not a ton of power, doesnt' take a ton of walks, but does hit with a good average. he'd fit in quite well at the top of the White Sox's lineup. Add in more of that disruptive speed Ozzie likes, and toss in defense. Also a switch hitter, which could be very useful.

And, its probably pretty likely the Angels won't hold onto him long-term, because of Cabrera, Kendrick, and Wood. They used Aybar some to fill in at 3rd last year if i recall correctly, and they seemed to be fairly happy with having him in their lineup, but they're not going to block Brandon Wood with Erik Aybar.

Turned 23 yesterday also, so he's still either young for or right around the age he should be at each level. He's been an all-star at pretty much every level he's played at in the Halos' system. BA ranked him as the #3 prospect in the Angels system in 06, behind Wood and Adenhart.

Edited by Balta1701

I love Aybar he reminds me alot of Omar Vizquel and to have him for 5 years in the 2 hole would be great. Crede has two years left. Personally to me i see Crede's value as 2 B level spects, if the angels throw in SS/2B Sean Rodriguez i'm sold.

The angles have Kendrick and Wood as their future along with Orlando Cabrera, Maicer Izturis and Chone Figgins. Shea is horrid at 3B, id imagine hes going to see alot of time at 1B since McPhearson is always hurt and Kotchman hasn't lived up to the hype.

Obviously i would love to see Reggie Willits coming back our way and to make that happen we would prolly have to add some LHP.

For the sox to get Aybar in a deal for Crede, the angels would have to add a major league piece. Either a bullpen arm, or a guy like Figgins. Getting strictly prospects for Crede would make the sox far weaker in 2007, even with Fields/ Mack/ Cintron/ Figgins taking over at 3b.

Aybar probably wouldn't replace Uribe in 2007. Though he could push him mid yr if Uribe was struggling. The sox do need a long term SS. There are few and far between that have the type of ceiling as Aybar. It would make sense from the angels Point of view. I'm not sure from the sox POV though

QUOTE(beck72 @ Jan 15, 2007 -> 03:12 PM)
For the sox to get Aybar in a deal for Crede, the angels would have to add a major league piece. Either a bullpen arm, or a guy like Figgins. Getting strictly prospects for Crede would make the sox far weaker in 2007, even with Fields/ Mack/ Cintron/ Figgins taking over at 3b.

Aybar probably wouldn't replace Uribe in 2007. Though he could push him mid yr if Uribe was struggling. The sox do need a long term SS. There are few and far between that have the type of ceiling as Aybar. It would make sense from the angels Point of view. I'm not sure from the sox POV though

Aybar for Crede straight up probably isn't fair from the White Sox side, but if the White Sox wind up in the situation where Uribe simply won't be here this year, then they may have no better options available. But yes, it would be desirable for a second piece to be included at some point.

I would disagree though with the statement that Aybar can't be ready to be a major league starting SS at the beginning of this year. He has spent a full year at each level in the minors, except for AAA, which was punctuated by some time with the Angels last year. He has gone to training camp with the Angels each of the last 3 years, and performed moderatley well in the time he saw. There is very little left that one could ask him to do in the minors, at least to my eyes. 5 full years, taking a step up every year, having big league time last year, multiple all-star appearances...if that's not earning yourself a chance at a big league roster, I don't know what is.

QUOTE(Balta1701 @ Jan 15, 2007 -> 03:33 PM)
He actually strikes me as exactly the kind of guy the Sox might like. Sort of a slap hitter, not a ton of power, doesnt' take a ton of walks, but does hit with a good average. he'd fit in quite well at the top of the White Sox's lineup. Add in more of that disruptive speed Ozzie likes, and toss in defense. Also a switch hitter, which could be very useful.

This sounds exactly like Alex Cintron, but probably with more speed and better defensive range (perhaps more prone to errors, though). We'd need to get another big piece in this deal for it to make sense and Figgins isn't good enough.

QUOTE(Vance Law @ Jan 15, 2007 -> 03:41 PM)
This sounds exactly like Alex Cintron, but probably with more speed and better defensive range (perhaps more prone to errors, though). We'd need to get another big piece in this deal for it to make sense and Figgins isn't good enough.

I for one could certainly tolerate taking Figgins in such a deal...it might not be totally balanced, but given the needs of the 2 teams it'd be pretty close to balanced, but I'd also hope we could find something to do with Podsednik as well, because I don't particularly want Figgins in CF everyday (although that would give us a really nice backup-OF option).

I would say that Cintron probably strikes out somewhat more than Aybar, takes a few less walks, and has a little bit more power. But Aybar has a hell of a lot more speed, and should be able to hit for a much higher average over a full season.

Edited by Balta1701

QUOTE(KevHead0881 @ Jan 15, 2007 -> 10:25 AM)
mlbtraderumors.com basically covered it all...

That was all Gammons said. I don't see this happening, with or without Uribe here.

I could see the Sox interested, however, I don't expect anything to happen since Uribe will play. And no, I don't think it would be just Aybar for Crede.

If the Angels were to include Adenhart (very doubtful at best) or some other young pitching, then I could possibly see something like this happening.

But remember that KW still wants to win in 2007. However he may think, the drop-off from Crede to Fields isn't that great, and if he did a deal like this, he could still think we could win the division (although I don't really see that happening).