184 members have voted

1. 1. 2005 Sox World Series or 2006 Bears Super Bowl

• 2006 Chicago Bears Super Bowl
    • 2005 White Sox World Series

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Interesting responses. I was just curious how everyone felt. I'm shocked that its so one sided 74-1 at the moment. I obviously knew, being this a Sox message board, the Sox would win but I thought the younger fans may want a Bears Super Bowl having not witnessed the 1985 season. Sunday was a great moment, seeing them go to a Super Bowl again, but it didn't bring a tear to my eye like when the Sox were going to the WS or when they actually won the WS.

'06 Bears v. '05 Sox - no contest, "That's a White Sox winner." The Sox winning removed (somewhat) the stigma attached to being a Sox fan. The Sox are recognized nationally now more than ever. A lifetime of losing was lifted from our collective shoulders. The '06 Bears are a great story, but the '85 Bears are relatively recent news. They're still omnipresent in Chicago. So the '06 Bears don't compare, though I have to admit, I was really excited Monday when I heard the "Super Bowl Shuffle" on a local (AZ) sports show.

If the question is '85 Bears v. '05 Sox, that's a little closer for me. The '85 Bears have no comparison in any sport in my lifetime. Proverbial perfect storm of personalities, city dying for a winner, and a totally dominant team. That season was surreal.

I'll call it a tie between '85 Bears and '05 Sox.

There is also something different about the WS, NBA finals,Stanley Cup compared to the SuperBowl. If the Sox would have lost one of the World Series games, they had a chance to redeem themselves the next time out. The Bears its a one time shot. I was more nervous before the NFC championship than I was before any of the World Series games. But that doesn't change the fact that the Sox were more special to me.

For hardercore fans, baseball is so much more a passion I think. It almost has to be. It's easy to follow 16 Sundays in the fall, so much harder to follow, bleed, live and die by your team every day for 6+months.

White Sox, no question. I don't have the same emotional attachment to any other team. Probably never will.

Well, the choice is obvious for me, as I am a diehard Cheesehead. But I'll still give my input just to say it.

The 2005 White Sox World Series tops everything else in my history of sports. The 1996 Packers Super Bowl is second, and its not that close. I don't get teary-eyed and goose-bumped when I think of the 1996 team. For the '05 Sox, I do. It's incredible, even to this day I still get that reaction.

It's good to see this is a landslide for the Sox.

I couldn't find the one person's thread who voted for Da Bears.

Sox for me by far.

I do remember the 85 Bears and was thrilled at the time because Chicago hadn't

won anything since the Bears' last title I believe.

The Bears came through again and ended the city's slump.

The Sox title is by far greater for me.

Even greater than the 85 Bears with Payton and Ditka and Singletary.

And thanks to the Sox for not making us nervous during the WS series.

They smoked everybody in losing just that one game.

Amazing.

p.s. Is it getting a lot of pub that Chicago rarely makes the championship game

or series, but when they do reach the ultimate game, they win, with the exception

of 1959.

Bears reach Super Bowl in 85 ... win. None of this gaining experience for the following

year.

Bulls reach the Finals six times, win every time. Never lost one once they got there.

Sox reach Series two years ago ... win it.

I guess the Blackhawks reached the finals that one year and lost but they

don't count because they are a joke.

GO BEARS!

I would say the Sox World Series victory trumps the Bears. 2005 was such an exciting ride wire-to-wire with the amazing post season run. I also thought being on Soxtalk added to the excitement of the whole journey. The baseball season is such a grind, and the Sox were such underdogs all year.

The Bears ride this year has been awesome, but they were good last year too and just f-upped in the playoffs vs Carolina. This season has been what I expected out of them.

I think the fact that the White Sox just won makes any title from a Chicago team not quite as special as it might be otherwise. For those of us that are Sox fans, I think this Bears ride has been special, but since we just went on a similar ride a year and a half ago, it wasn't as anticipated.

I know that as the final minutes of the Bears game Sunday ticked away, I was crying like a little girl just as I was when the Sox made the World Series. It was joy and relief from all those years of watching us struggle to find a quarterback; of having to watch Lewis Tilman as our starting running back; of having to see John Shoop's offense in action every Sunday. It was so nice to see us finally dominate such an important game.

But as a previous poster said, there is just so much to be said for a 162- game baseball season. And the tenseness of being in a short playoff series after the dog day of Summer as Fall begins to grip the nation. I don't know that any sport can truly approach baseball for it's postseason tournament. It's a sport that spans the year and the seasons unlike any other.

Football is just a game played on Sundays a few months of the year.

QUOTE(RME JICO @ Jan 24, 2007 -> 03:00 PM)
I also thought being on Soxtalk added to the excitement of the whole journey.

Brown noser. :gosox1: :lol:

But as a previous poster said, there is just so much to be said for a 162- game baseball season. And the tenseness of being in a short playoff series after the dog day of Summer as Fall begins to grip the nation. I don't know that any sport can truly approach baseball for it's postseason tournament. It's a sport that spans the year and the seasons unlike any other.

That is true. But let me tell you something, when the snow started falling at halftime...and got harder as the second half went on, with bigger flakes (and I don't mean Saints fans) that gave me goose-bumps. And not because I was cold at the game. THAT is football weather, domers.

Edited by CanOfCorn

QUOTE(Rowand44 @ Jan 24, 2007 -> 07:41 PM)
Not a Bears fan, but the Sox are easily my favorite sports team with only one team even close so this isn't even a question to me. Nothing will surpass a White Sox world series victory.

And you don't have to worry about your fav NFL team getting to the Super Bowl anytime soon anyway. :P