Sox, 7 others, tried to trade for ARod

southsider2k5

It makes total sense to me, the Sox are slashing payroll and keeping all of the money, so they go after the highest paid player in baseball history :bang

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2007/writ...ex.html?cnn=yes

One person with connections to the Yankees identified the teams as the Angels, Dodgers, White Sox, Cubs, Giants, Phillies, Diamondbacks and Indians.

According to someone familiar with the inquiries, the White Sox and Dodgers were among the most persistent pursuers for A-Rod. However, should A-Rod hit the open market, many will view the Angels as the favorite. They are known to be searching for a big bat and have put themselves into position to acquire big players through a series of shrewd business moves. Additionally, the Angels have yet to make the "major" move club owner Arte Moreno foresaw heading into this past offseason.

And I'll bet I know who said this...

One top baseball decision maker on one of the eight teams claimed, "We offered the house, but [Cashman] wouldn't even respond." While the interest in Rodriguez was great, it appears that talks never got off the ground.

QUOTE(southsider2k5 @ Mar 2, 2007 -> 04:29 PM)
It makes total sense to me, the Sox are slashing payroll and keeping all of the money, so they go after the highest paid player in baseball history :bang

okay, okay, I'm on your side. but seriously, just imagine A-Rod over Uribe....sweeeeet...

QUOTE(ScottyDo @ Mar 2, 2007 -> 02:10 PM)
okay, okay, I'm on your side. but seriously, just imagine A-Rod over Uribe....sweeeeet...

you mean ARod over Crede?

Because Crede would have had to have been involved, and ARod's (likely) not nearly good enough defensively anymore to play a good SS.

QUOTE(witesoxfan @ Mar 2, 2007 -> 05:11 PM)

Because Crede would have had to have been involved, and ARod's (likely) not nearly good enough defensively anymore to play a good SS.

And you know this...how? Just because he had problems at third? Can't compare the two. He'd definitely have to lose some weight, but I bet he'd be just as good as he used to be at SS.

QUOTE(witesoxfan @ Mar 2, 2007 -> 11:11 PM)

I'd take his average defense if it means adding the greatest offensive SS in histroy.

QUOTE(witesoxfan @ Mar 2, 2007 -> 03:11 PM)

Supposedly ARod has lost a bunch of the weight he put on the last year or two, so he could actually be in good enough shape to play SS again if someone wanted to put him there.

QUOTE(DrunkBomber @ Mar 2, 2007 -> 12:46 PM)
ARod said today Pinella is like a father to him, I wonder if he makes his way to the Northside after this year. I cant imagine having Soriano and Arods salaries on the same team though.

Remember its the other team in Chicago you're talking about where money is no object.

so let me ask...how are you going to get ARod without giving up Crede?

It would be possible for ARod to be a 3Bman this year and then move to SS in 2008 with Fields taking over at 3B. I just don't see how ARod would have been the SS this year for the White Sox.

QUOTE(witesoxfan @ Mar 2, 2007 -> 08:02 PM)

It would be possible for ARod to be a 3Bman this year and then move to SS in 2008 with Fields taking over at 3B. I just don't see how ARod would have been the SS this year for the White Sox.

I agree with you. But even if Crede wasn't involved in the deal, he would be gone in another one soon after.

QUOTE(witesoxfan @ Mar 2, 2007 -> 11:02 PM)

Okay, fine, give up Crede since he's only got one year left anyway (and the Yanks don't seem to have any trouble dealing with The Agent Who Shall Not Be Named), put Fields in his place and Uribe's the odd man out. Settles the Fields dilemma anyway. And I think A-Rod's defense is partially problematic because he's playing out of position. That's just part of it, it clearly doesn't explain the 139571395 errors in a 2 week period last year.

But yeah, it's a moot point because neither the Sox nor the Yankees are going to do it. Probably ever.

QUOTE(ScottyDo @ Mar 3, 2007 -> 12:08 AM)
Okay, fine, give up Crede since he's only got one year left anyway (and the Yanks don't seem to have any trouble dealing with The Agent Who Shall Not Be Named), put Fields in his place and Uribe's the odd man out. Settles the Fields dilemma anyway. And I think A-Rod's defense is partially problematic because he's playing out of position. That's just part of it, it clearly doesn't explain the 139571395 errors in a 2 week period last year.

But yeah, it's a moot point because neither the Sox nor the Yankees are going to do it. Probably ever.

1. Crede's not a free agent till after 2008

2. Fields didn't make nearly the contact rate he should have at AAA and he'd probably be similar to Crede/Anderson in their first years offensively

3. The infield defense would be worse than mediocre on the left side, thus making the pitching staff worse.

4. ARod's been at 3B for 3 years now, so he shouldn't be out of position anymore. It probably has more to do with media pressure and pressure on himself than anything else.

Point blank, I don't see any way that the left side of the infield wouldn't have been ARod-Uribe.

QUOTE(POPPY_HIDALGO @ Mar 3, 2007 -> 04:28 PM)
I'm sure A-Rod would never ever ever approve a trade to the White Sox. The South Side of Chicago is not a destination for anyone. I'm sure A-Rod has good enough taste to avoid the South Side.

So you just switch it up every year huh?