Josh Hamilton

BearSox

http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/spring2007/c...&id=2792609

A great article about Josh Hamilton. It shows that we all can change. I believe he was addicted to pain killers, correct?

I am glad to see him succeed. A 500 foot home run? He has Joe Borchard power, and overall better tools. If he stays clean and out of trouble, he can become the superstar he was once thought to become. And he is still relatively young at the ripe age of 25. Usually I don't feel sorry or root for guys like who have/had drug problems, but I am for Josh.

QUOTE(Gregory Pratt @ Mar 10, 2007 -> 10:43 PM)
He was on coke and heroin.

I was posting about my support for him on another forum I frequent.

Great story. Good luck to that boy. I hope he's clean and comes back beating the world.

Oh... I thought it was painkillers, but thanks for clearing that up for me.

I didn't mean that I expect him to have another relapse. I'm rooting for him not to, as I made clear, and I don't think he will.

I was responding to the comment that, hey, he's had a lot of relapses by saying -- all drug addicts do. "I quit." Next day, you're lying on the floor with crack running through your system.

Hamilton's a born-again Christian, so he did experience a rebirth, and I imagine that having kids now helps, too.

QUOTE(Gregory Pratt @ Mar 13, 2007 -> 08:41 PM)
I didn't mean that I expect him to have another relapse. I'm rooting for him not to, as I made clear, and I don't think he will.

I was responding to the comment that, hey, he's had a lot of relapses by saying -- all drug addicts do. "I quit." Next day, you're lying on the floor with crack running through your system.

Hamilton's a born-again Christian, so he did experience a rebirth, and I imagine that having kids now helps, too.

Oh okay, I just misunderstood you... sorry about that.

QUOTE(Gregory Pratt @ Mar 13, 2007 -> 08:41 PM)

Just be careful with your words mr. dislocation. :)

QUOTE(Gregory Pratt @ Mar 13, 2007 -> 09:20 PM)
I want to face you again Papi.

Also: all drug addicts suffer relapses. I stand by that. Can't just up and quit.

When a drug addict decides to go cold turkey w/o any help. Yes, chances are they will relapse. But if they get the proper support and go to rehab, not necessarily.

Edited by BearSox

• 4 weeks later...

Well, in his first MLB start last night, Hamilton went 1 for 3 with a 2 run home run and 2 walks (the homer being his first ever MLB hit), and tonight in his 2nd start, he's 2 for 4 with another home run (solo) and 2 runs scored.

This kid is something, it's a miracle he's even alive, he hasn't played in like 3 years, he has never played above a ball, and he's doing this. It's like the modern day, somewhat younger and more drugs in the past version of Roy Hobbs.

QUOTE(whitesoxfan101 @ Apr 11, 2007 -> 11:01 PM)
Well, in his first MLB start last night, Hamilton went 1 for 3 with a 2 run home run and 2 walks (the homer being his first ever MLB hit), and tonight in his 2nd start, he's 2 for 4 with another home run (solo) and 2 runs scored.

This kid is something, it's a miracle he's even alive, he hasn't played in like 3 years, he has never played above a ball, and he's doing this. It's like the modern day, somewhat younger and more drugs in the past version of Roy Hobbs.

:lolhitting haha, that is a great comparison!

QUOTE(fathom @ Apr 11, 2007 -> 11:11 PM)
The guys is phenomenally skilled. He's my favorite person to root for outside of the White Sox. I've heard some interesting things about him from someone who was around him 5 years ago.

I heard he killed a bear with just his smile... is this true?

His home run tonight turned out to be the game winner btw, as it made it 3-1 when he hit it, and the Reds won 3-2 due to giving up a tally in the 9th. Just having seen him play twice, you can see his speed in the OF, he has run down everything out there just about, and obviously the power from the left side as well. I also saw a throw from him in ST that just was mind blowing, so he has a great arm.

QUOTE(whitesoxfan101 @ Apr 11, 2007 -> 11:01 PM)
This kid is something, it's a miracle he's even alive, he hasn't played in like 3 years, he has never played above a ball, and he's doing this.

He played in short season A for 15 games last year which ended the 3 year absense. Also, he played 23 games in AA in 2001.