Music Thread

greasywheels121

• Replies 3.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (DukeNukeEm @ Nov 2, 2008 -> 01:34 PM)
The Hold Steady & Patterson Hood - Burnin' For You (Blue Oyster Cult Cover)

SETLIST:

Stay Positive

Constructive Summer

Multitude of Casualties

The Swish

You Can Make Him Like You

Navy Sheets (w/ Patterson Hood on backing vocals)

Chips Ahoy

Hornets! Hornets!

Sequestered in Memphis

Cattle and the Creeping Things

Dont Let Me Explode

One for the Cutters

Girls Like Status

Stevie Nix

Ask her for Adderall

Slapped Actress

How a Resurrection Really Feels

Encore:

Stuck Between Stations

Ride On (AC/DC Cover w/ Patterson Hood on guitar)

Most People are DJ's (w/ Patterson Hood on guitar)

Burning for You (Blue Oyster Cult Cover w/ Patterson Hood on vocals)

Killer Parties (w/ Patterson Hood on guitar)

Great set list.

The BOC cover sux ass though.

QUOTE (Whitewashed in '05 @ Nov 1, 2008 -> 12:35 PM)
The show was insane!!! My first time seeing him too. Wow, he puts so much energy into his performances. He also went off about how Chicago is the murder capital of the nation with many expletives which shocked everyone in the crowd. He gave a moment of silence to Jennifer Hudson and family as well as a little campaigning for Obama. I would rather LupE.N.D. be separate albums than a triple album.

Lupe was great at Lollapalooza. Gotta love him.

QUOTE (PlaySumFnJurny @ Oct 31, 2008 -> 04:43 AM)
Last night, I had more fun at the AC/DC concert at the Allstate Arena than I have had at any arena show in years, maybe ever. Way more than I ever expected.

I can't wait til this hits LA. Awesome?

QUOTE (longshot7 @ Nov 6, 2008 -> 11:43 AM)
I can't wait til this hits LA. Awesome?

My buddy and I sure thought so, but we'd been wanting to see them live forever. You can tell they take their music seriously, but not themselves. Lame as it may sound, I keep coming back to "fun" as the most operative word.

Check this out for a small taste.

http://acdctour2008-2009.blogspot.com/2008...reviews_30.html

coupla long and forgotten ones that popped up on my ipod receently:

Junk Monkeys 'Five Star Fling' album... those guys kicked some ass!

David & David's 'Boomtown'... fine piece of of work... these 9 songs were all they ever put out, but David Baerwald had a good solo record a few years later... my cassette copy is long gone... got find it on CD...

QUOTE (MHizzle85 @ Oct 31, 2008 -> 11:41 PM)
Just getting in from seeing Lupe Fiasco @ the Congress. As usual, he didn't disappoint. IMO, it's crazy how much rap sounds with a live band.

The show was filmed for a DVD, so I can't wait to pick that up. He also announced that his last album will be a triple-disc...insane.

I didn't get to go to this show even though I live 2 blocks away from the Congress. His show at the Chicago theater with the Roots was dope.

QUOTE (BigSqwert @ Nov 11, 2008 -> 04:09 PM)
I didn't get to go to this show even though I live 2 blocks away from the Congress. His show at the Chicago theater with the Roots was dope.

I was at that show as well, one of my favorite shows.

QUOTE (BigSqwert @ Nov 11, 2008 -> 04:11 PM)
Very disappointed to hear that the new Kanye album will be heavy with auto-tune effects. When will this lame fad die?

Eh, it may work...it may not. I'm gonna go ahead and call this the "experimental" album of his catalog.

QUOTE (BigSqwert @ Nov 11, 2008 -> 08:23 PM)
Really diggin' this new Q Tip album.

Yes. Yes. Yes. IMO, it's album of the year material.

I love great surprises. The University Program Board sponsored a Blues Night. I figured what the hell, for free and I could use a little walk across campus. Amazing vocalist. I was really impressed. They only did about 1/2 blues, the rest was some straight up R&R and some Michael Jackson. I can not remember a voice so powerful and clear in what amounts to a bar band. They did mostly covers, but their covers from Yellow Ledbetter to Miss You were pretty damn good. Nice outdoor area near our library. Just a fun evening. I'll probably catch their full show at one of out better clubs this week.

Have you ever stopped to notice how strange rock music is? I mean, it's such a part of our culture now that we hardly even notice. Our ears are so well trained for it, that we can pick out melody among all that noise. The next time you listen to it, pretend if you can, that you'd never been exposed to it before. It's really weird noise.

QUOTE (LosMediasBlancas @ Nov 13, 2008 -> 06:02 AM)
Have you ever stopped to notice how strange rock music is? I mean, it's such a part of our culture now that we hardly even notice. Our ears are so well trained for it, that we can pick out melody among all that noise. The next time you listen to it, pretend if you can, that you'd never been exposed to it before. It's really weird noise.

...maybe the stuff YOU listen to is...

;) :P :D