Music Thread

greasywheels121

• Replies 3.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

:pray

Beastie Boy Adam Yauch announced today that he has parotid gland cancer, and the band will be canceling or postponing all upcoming concert dates -- including Lollapalooza and the show at the Congress Theater. Their upcoming album, Hot Sauce, has been pushed back as well.

LINK

I bought three tickets for Lollapalooza on August 8. The sole reason my friends and I wanted to go was to see the Beastie Boys. Now, I'm clearly not mad at the band, but I am pissed. I called to ask about a refund, knowing full well what their response would be, and it's exactly what I got. There are no refunds because festival lineups are subject to change. I read that the guy who runs the agency that runs Lollapalooza said something along the lines of "we haven't received any requests for refunds because people go to this event for the overall event." That is bulls*** and anyone would be stupid to believe that to be the case. I would estimate that at least 50% of the people who purchased tickets for that day did so in order to see the Beastie Boys. They are now searching for a band that could be a suitable replacement. I'm going to end up stuck with tickets to a s***ty lineup headlined by some s*** like DMB.

Edited by Milkman delivers

QUOTE (Milkman delivers @ Jul 20, 2009 -> 06:19 PM)
I bought three tickets for Lollapalooza on August 8. The sole reason my friends and I wanted to go was to see the Beastie Boys. Now, I'm clearly not mad at the band, but I am pissed. I called to ask about a refund, knowing full well what their response would be, and it's exactly what I got. There are no refunds because festival lineups are subject to change. I read that the guy who runs the agency that runs Lollapalooza said something along the lines of "we haven't received any requests for refunds because people go to this event for the overall event." That is bulls*** and anyone would be stupid to believe that to be the case. I would estimate that at least 50% of the people who purchased tickets for that day did so in order to see the Beastie Boys. They are now searching for a band that could be a suitable replacement. I'm going to end up stuck with tickets to a s***ty lineup headlined by some s*** like DMB.

How do you come up with that 50% estimate??

QUOTE (LosMediasBlancas @ Jul 20, 2009 -> 07:22 PM)
How do you come up with that 50% estimate??

Because I have never heard of anyone saying "I can't wait for the ____ concert" when referring to the other bands that day. The closest is Tool, and that is a completely different demographic. I thought I was being conservative with that estimate.

QUOTE (Milkman delivers @ Jul 20, 2009 -> 06:27 PM)
Because I have never heard of anyone saying "I can't wait for the ____ concert" when referring to the other bands that day. The closest is Tool, and that is a completely different demographic. I thought I was being conservative with that estimate.

oh, ok.

QUOTE (LosMediasBlancas @ Jul 20, 2009 -> 07:28 PM)
oh, ok.

I don't expect you to understand, as many people on this site have a little more "diverse" taste in music than I do. Some people want to see little-known bands because they've followed them for a while or whatever. I'd see these other bands IF they were just opening for a band I actually like, but that is no longer the case. I believe most people in general feel the same way I do. The people that discuss music on Soxtalk seem to be (and I only use this term because I can't really think of another word for it) more along the lines of music snobs. I don't mean to start an argument with anyone, but I wanted to vent.

QUOTE (JPN366 @ Jul 20, 2009 -> 10:53 AM)
Anybody heard the new Alice In Chains song? It's awesome and it takes me back to my younger days. They also have a a whole new album coming out in September.

yes, and agreed, i've been listening to their albums the last week or so, ah yes the good times.

QUOTE (Milkman delivers @ Jul 20, 2009 -> 07:35 PM)
I don't expect you to understand, as many people on this site have a little more "diverse" taste in music than I do. Some people want to see little-known bands because they've followed them for a while or whatever. I'd see these other bands IF they were just opening for a band I actually like, but that is no longer the case. I believe most people in general feel the same way I do. The people that discuss music on Soxtalk seem to be (and I only use this term because I can't really think of another word for it) more along the lines of music snobs. I don't mean to start an argument with anyone, but I wanted to vent.

I understand where you're coming from but the number of people who buy tickets for just one band are outnumbered by people who are going just for the experience. That & they're looking to discover new music & just hang out for the most part.

QUOTE (MHizzle85 @ Jul 21, 2009 -> 01:26 AM)
I understand where you're coming from but the number of people who buy tickets for just one band are outnumbered by people who are going just for the experience. That & they're looking to discover new music & just hang out for the most part.

That's where we disagree.

QUOTE (Milkman delivers @ Jul 21, 2009 -> 10:19 AM)
That's where we disagree.

oh just quit b****in and put those things up for sale. You might as well get something for them since you think they are worth nothing

Couple thoughts on the Lollapalooza thing:

1. I Hate Festivals. The sound sucks, it's hot and sweaty. Give me indoor shows any day of the week.

2. When I do go, it's never for the discover new bands, experience thing. Not my bag.

3. I would never go to a festival unless there was already 5+ bands I want to see. Other wise it's a huge waste of money. If it's only one band (like Beastie Boys) I would juts wait till a headlining tour, where they will be playing indoors, with a full set, and where you won't be sun burnt, and tired from standing on your feet all day.

QUOTE (KyYlE23 @ Jul 21, 2009 -> 01:26 PM)
actually somewhere in Chi-town now. Milkman came back to the fold

Then I better watch out walking in dark alleys. He may decide to pounce on me with a poorly fashioned cane.