Toby Hall injured in the 9th Inning today...

JDsDirtySox

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(bullpenHeat @ Mar 26, 2007 -> 01:38 AM)
the biggest problem everyone here is missing is this. No Toby Hall.....No Brian Anderson. Eduardo Perez will be our righty off the bench if Hall is out for an extended amount, which means, Pablo, or (Shudder) Mack in center.

Pablo would scare me like 10x more if he were in CF

I'm still really not sure how Perez is going to make it onto the roster. I still think Danks should be optioned to AAA until he is needed to start, but maybe that's just shady.

QUOTE(jphat007 @ Mar 25, 2007 -> 10:26 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
That evil Ozzie. I think he did it on purpose. Sabotage even.

Ah, here comes Mr. Strawman to defend everything.

This was a dumbass move by Ozzie to make. Why was our backup catcher playing first base so late in the game? Isn't that why we signed grinderstad?

If you think Ozzie was OK playing Hall at 1B, apparently its because you defend everything Ozzie does. And if you think Ozzie caused the injury, apparently, its because you just hate Ozzie. You've gotta love the dismissive mode of argument - if you disagree with me, you must be dumb.

I personally see no issue with playing Hall at first. Its less risky than C anyway, the staff don't know him well yet, and Ozzie has always used ST as a way to see what people can do if needed. And given how strong Hall can be against lefties, I'd bet we'll see him at 1B a few times this season (with PK at DH). The argument that this is somehow Ozzie's fault is missing the point of spring training I think.

If he needs at-bats, that is what B games are for. He can lead off every inning if he wants.

Why did Guillen make this move.... If Eduardo Perez is not on the team and AJ and Hall are going to be in the line-up, the only place to get Hall AB's is at firstbase as he can not go in the game to catch if he is the DH. Therefore the platoon system against tough lefties is Hall and Konerko every game and either AJ or Thome sitting.

He needs to knwo what he can and can't do on his own. Diving for a ball in a blow-in in the 9th inning to "try and make a web gem" doesn't show much common sense but I guess the effort was good.

QUOTE(NorthSideSox72 @ Mar 26, 2007 -> 07:32 AM)
If you think Ozzie was OK playing Hall at 1B, apparently its because you defend everything Ozzie does. And if you think Ozzie caused the injury, apparently, its because you just hate Ozzie. You've gotta love the dismissive mode of argument - if you disagree with me, you must be dumb.

I personally see no issue with playing Hall at first. Its less risky than C anyway, the staff don't know him well yet, and Ozzie has always used ST as a way to see what people can do if needed. And given how strong Hall can be against lefties, I'd bet we'll see him at 1B a few times this season (with PK at DH). The argument that this is somehow Ozzie's fault is missing the point of spring training I think.

I'm willing to bet you right now that Toby Hall doesn't get a single at bat at 1B this season, there is absolutely no reason for it. If Hall does start a game at 1B that means both of your catchers are playing in the game at the same time, something no manager likes to do especially since Hall has NO experience at that position. I can't think of a single good reason for Hall to be playing first, he won't be there during the regular season and it's an unfamiliar position to him, why even risk putting key player at a new position at the end of a late March game? If you want to see what he can do for you at 1B then have him start a B game at the position.

QUOTE(rangercal @ Mar 25, 2007 -> 10:35 PM)
Kalapse....14,730 posts

Ozzie Guillen.....1 World Series Ring

Fans managing the white sox from a message board.... Priceless.

Do you really believe that Guillen always makes the best managerial decision and that Kalapse always makes the wrong one?

QUOTE(fathom @ Mar 25, 2007 -> 10:10 PM)
I think it was stupid to play an integral member of the team at a position he's not familiar with. Hell, I got nervous when he had a very awkward stretch in the 6th inning on the first play he was over at 1B. However, it's pointless in getting into this argument with certain people here, because they'll defend Ozzie no matter what.

Yep.

QUOTE(Kalapse @ Mar 26, 2007 -> 10:30 AM)
I'm willing to bet you right now that Toby Hall doesn't get a single at bat at 1B this season, there is absolutely no reason for it. If Hall does start a game at 1B that means both of your catchers are playing in the game at the same time, something no manager likes to do especially since Hall has NO experience at that position. I can't think of a single good reason for Hall to be playing first, he won't be there during the regular season and it's an unfamiliar position to him, why even risk putting key player at a new position at the end of a late March game? If you want to see what he can do for you at 1B then have him start a B game at the position.

He makes perfect sense, as long as Perez isn't on the roster (and I think he may not be), and as long as you don't DH him. He can slide from 1B to C just fine. If Thome has the day off, it leaves Ozzie an option. And Ozzie has already played him over there a couple times now (not sure exactly how many) in ST, which should tell you he is thinking about it.

Hall will probably catch against LHP a lot, but they've also said they want AJ in there against lefties occasionally too. In those scenarios, if Thome sits, then Hall at 1B and PK at DH makes sense.

Edited by NorthSideSox72

Sorry guys I'm no Ozzie apologist but this was a freak injury. At first it looked like a great play by Hall, in fact.

When do you ever see a guy getting hurt playing first base?

He'll be okay. Man, people are awfully cranky this year about this team, and the season's not even begun. Usually you don't hear this kind of stuff until... the second week of the season, ZING!

QUOTE(LVSoxFan @ Mar 26, 2007 -> 11:14 AM)
When do you ever see a guy getting hurt playing first base.

The greatest player in Sox history as well as the new starting CF for the team. You always run the risk of injury when you move a player to an unfamiliar position, no matter how easy the position may be.

QUOTE(LVSoxFan @ Mar 26, 2007 -> 11:25 AM)
Thomas? Big Frank could get injured playing foosball. C'mon!

You asked for an example and that's what you got, it was almost the exact same play as Hall too (different injury) but it goes to show that it's not all that hard to get injured at even the easiest defensive positions. Carlos Delgado was also injured while playing the position but I guess he's just injury prone as well.

QUOTE(Kalapse @ Mar 26, 2007 -> 04:29 PM)
You asked for an example and that's what you got, it was almost the exact same play as Hall too (different injury) but it goes to show that it's not all that hard to get injured at even the easiest defensive positions. Carlos Delgado was also injured while playing the position but I guess he's just injury prone as well.

Cliff Floyd almost had to retire after a freak injury at 1B, and don't forget about D. Lee's injury last year. With everything included, 1B might be the most dangerous position in terms of injury out of the 4 infield positions.

QUOTE(fathom @ Mar 26, 2007 -> 09:35 AM)
Cliff Floyd almost had to retire after a freak injury at 1B, and don't forget about D. Lee's injury last year. With everything included, 1B might be the most dangerous position in terms of injury out of the 4 infield positions.

I really have trouble buying that just from first impressions. There's the possibility of a collision at every base. You can point to the DLee collision at first, but then I'll fire back the guys at 2nd who are turning the DP's with people bearing down on them, or colliding with Center Fielders while chasing down a popup.

QUOTE(Kalapse @ Mar 26, 2007 -> 09:30 AM)
If Hall does start a game at 1B that means both of your catchers are playing in the game at the same time, something no manager likes to do

Why is that? In case a huge fireball hits the field (but not the dugout)?

QUOTE(Vance Law @ Mar 26, 2007 -> 12:53 PM)
Why is that? In case a huge fireball hits the field (but not the dugout)?

Lets say a Ligue wanna be runs onto the field and starts gunning down Sox players, the first player he'd come in contact with is the firstbaseman. Do you really want to run the risk? That's what I thought.