Contreras Rumor

Gregory Pratt

QUOTE(shoota @ Apr 10, 2007 -> 04:25 PM)
Sometimes divorce can be quite pleasant, a blessing in disguise. Judging from the way Contreras pitched last night, this could be one of those cases. Addition by marital subtraction.

A pleasant divorce? You have to be under 18.

• Replies 91
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(santo=dorf @ Apr 10, 2007 -> 05:39 PM)
How do we know the divorce isn't deserved? What if Jose was cheating on her? Would you still feel bad for him?

/Devil's Advocate.

I tried this already and I am worse for it. Its all her fault!!!!!!!!111111oneoneone11!!1

From MLB.Com

OAKLAND -- According to an article in Wednesday's edition of the Los Angeles Times, Jose Contreras has been implicated in offering $200,000 to finance the smuggling operation bringing his wife and two daughters to Florida from Cuba in June 2004.

That accusation was made Tuesday in a Florida courtroom by Geoffrey Rodrigues, a convicted felon who admitted to participating in two smuggling operations in 2004. According to the article, Rodrigues testified that he received $5,000 for recruiting Edward Hernandez to co-pilot the boat that brought Miriam Murillo, Contreras' wife, their children and seven other friends and relatives to the United States. Hernandez and Roberto Yosvany, a second pilot, split another $65,000, according to reports on the testimony.

Contreras had no comment on the matter Wednesday morning.

The article isn't clear but it sounds like a grand jury proceeding, perhaps Jose is facing a supeona in this matter, rather than a divorce?

The rest of the article is Ozzie defending Contreras and saying he'd do the same thing.

QUOTE(TLAK @ Apr 11, 2007 -> 08:05 PM)
From MLB.Com

The article isn't clear but it sounds like a grand jury proceeding, perhaps Jose is facing a supeona in this matter, rather than a divorce?

The rest of the article is Ozzie defending Contreras and saying he'd do the same thing.

That would make a hell of a lot more sense.

QUOTE(Tony82087 @ Apr 11, 2007 -> 06:13 PM)
I remember back in 04 even when Count was in NY that he was so consumed with his family getting to the U.S., it was a big reason why he could never get his head on straight with NY.

I think it's clear this stuff gets to him, and after his last start, it seems more probable something was going on upstairs with Count.

Definitely agree. What I don't understand though is what he could get charged for. When you hear that he got his family here doesn't that mean he paid someone to get them here? Of course he did. I just don't understand what law he broke...except for Cuban laws.

QUOTE(mrzo2733 @ Apr 11, 2007 -> 10:59 PM)
Definitely agree. What I don't understand though is what he could get charged for. When you hear that he got his family here doesn't that mean he paid someone to get them here? Of course he did. I just don't understand what law he broke...except for Cuban laws.

Yeah, calling it a "smuggling operation" seems a little strange. One can smuggle guns or drugs but it doesn't fit with Cuban refugees. I'd like to hear more details.

QUOTE(BearSox @ Apr 11, 2007 -> 11:18 PM)
I don't understamd why Contreras couldn't have came to America w/ his family also... You would think that Contreras would only agree to a contract w/ the Yankees if he could get his family could come with.

I hate Cuba.

He probably figured that he had a much better shot of getting them over here if he was making some big bucks in MLB first.

QUOTE(BearSox @ Apr 11, 2007 -> 09:18 PM)
I don't understamd why Contreras couldn't have came to America w/ his family also... You would think that Contreras would only agree to a contract w/ the Yankees if he could get his family could come with.

I hate Cuba.

I believe that Jose's family was not around when he defected. He defected while at an event where the Cuban baseball team was playing in Mexico, and I believe he sort of walked to another hotel room and requested asylum, or something like that. His defection was not complicated because he was allowed to leave the country to compete. His family wasn't allowed to travel with him though, so they were pretty much stuck

I don't get it either. Seems the US opens their arms to every Juan, Dick and Geraldo...hell...Arizona probably has more supposed people with terrorist ties cross than anywhere else...but they're busting his nuts over trying to get his family here?!? I really can't see where it's deemed the same as the coyotes out here bringing illegals in by the truckload and getting busted.

Hell...I just got my new Durango jacked last weekend by a 15 year old illegal. They recovered it after he tried to get away...rammed into a pregnant ladies car with 4 other kids and smashed the s*** outta my Durango. The county prosecutor told me even if he does serve any juvie time (and he does have priors)...he'll get deported but probably be back here in a couple of months anyway. Super system. Let's keep letting these losers come and go as they please...but GOD FORBID if a guy wants to get his family out of a crap county to be with him.