2007 White Sox Catch-All Thread

greasywheels121

Anyone see in the Suntimes today that when Thome comes back, Sweeney will be sent down because "He needs to play everyday."

WHAT??

Why can't we send Terrero back down and play Sweeney everyday?

Ozzie wants to keep Terrero because "he can play all the OF positions." Um, can't Ryan as well?

• Replies 975
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(Brian @ May 9, 2007 -> 05:35 PM)
Anyone see in the Suntimes today that when Thome comes back, Sweeney will be sent down because "He needs to play everyday."

WHAT??

Why can't we send Terrero back down and play Sweeney everyday?

Ozzie wants to keep Terrero because "he can play all the OF positions." Um, can't Ryan as well?

I want Ryan to play everyday....in fact I'm hoping he never goes back down (ie plays good enough that they find a way to get him boatloads of at bats the rest of the year, even if it means less of Pods/Mack and to a lesser extent Erstad.

Hall update:

Hall said he threw at full velocity from home plate to second base Monday and tested his right labrum in a four-inning simulated game Tuesday.

"I don't have the same arm I did [before the tear], but it's only going to get stronger," Hall said. "For seven weeks into it, for me to have 80 percent of my arm, I feel pretty good about it.

"I'm ready to get out of here."

Also, Sox have played the toughest AL schedule (.521) this season and only trail LAD (.527) for the entire bigs. Detroit has had the easiest schedule (.470).

http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/stats/rpi?sortColumn=sos

Edited by RME JICO

QUOTE(Gregory Pratt @ May 10, 2007 -> 04:51 PM)
Maybe we should make a trade for Troy Glaus? He'll be available soon. Alex Rios would still look good here.

No place for Glaus to play. I'd love to get Rios though, he'd be a great fit in RF to replace Dye after this year.

QUOTE(fathom @ May 10, 2007 -> 11:55 AM)
No place for Glaus to play. I'd love to get Rios though, he'd be a great fit in RF to replace Dye after this year.

Uh, Glaus would play third. We'd send Crede elsewhere.

Rios would be amazing.

Over in the American League, just one player was ahead of Bonds in that runs-created stat before he got hurt -- Jim Thome. He was at 15.65 runs created per 27 outs, barely leading Bonds' 14.99. So when one AL front-office man was asked if he could have envisioned the White Sox being this bad offensively (heck, they've scored 70 fewer runs than the Yankees through Wednesday), he replied instantly: "Without Thome? Yeah, I could."
Link. So According to Mr. Stark, before he was hurt, Jim Thome was essentially the best offense generating weapon in baseball thus far on the season, even beating out ARod and Bonds.

QUOTE(Gregory Pratt @ May 10, 2007 -> 12:08 PM)
Uh, Glaus would play third. We'd send Crede elsewhere.

Rios would be amazing.

Here are just a few reasons why that will never happen.

1.) Troy Glaus is a terrible defensive 3B and the Sox have multiple contact pitchers

2.) Troy tends to spend a good amount of time on the DL

3.) He has a FULL no trade clause

4.) He's due 10.5M this year, 12.5M next and has a PLAYER option worth 11.25M for '09.

5.) He's still going to cost you some young talent to acquire, something KW is not going to give up for another oft injured, meh OBP, high priced power hitter.

QUOTE(Balta1701 @ May 10, 2007 -> 01:45 PM)
Link. So According to Mr. Stark, before he was hurt, Jim Thome was essentially the best offense generating weapon in baseball thus far on the season, even beating out ARod and Bonds.

Yeah, I've heard good things about this guy.

QUOTE(Balta1701 @ May 10, 2007 -> 01:45 PM)

He was certainly the most valuable offensive player in baseball at the time.

Edited by Rowand44

So our offense has been awful, we've been with out our best hitter for a while and with out one of our better hitters against lefties for the entire season, yet if the Angels hang on we're still only 3.5 out of a playoff spot at the moment. Not the worst thing in the world, I guess.

Edited by Rowand44

QUOTE(Tony82087 @ May 11, 2007 -> 12:22 AM)
No joke, Stu Scott was just going over the Sox-Twins highlights, and as the slide play was shown it went something like this....

"Now Pablo Ozuna up, knocks a base hit to RF, Mike Sweetney comes into score on a great slide to make it 3-0."

I kid you not.

That's ESPN's f*** up, not Stu's. Because they called him Mike on the 6 PM SC too.

QUOTE(greasywheels121 @ May 10, 2007 -> 11:22 PM)
That's ESPN's f*** up, not Stu's. Because they called him Mike on the 6 PM SC too.

Actually, the SC anchors write their own highlight packages, so that is probably Lazy Eye Scott's fault.

QUOTE(fathom @ May 10, 2007 -> 04:55 PM)

I was thinking... hypothetically speaking, because this trade wouldn't hapen (at least right now) -- since BJ Ryan is done for at least a year, would you trade Dye + MacDougal/Jenks for Rios? I would, although I'm not sure Toronto would necessarily do that (for one), and after Dye took the lesser contract to come here (keeping his word), I feel like the Sox are in some way 'indebted' to him.

Edited by CWSGuy406

QUOTE(CWSGuy406 @ May 10, 2007 -> 11:52 PM)
I was thinking... hypothetically speaking, because this trade wouldn't hapen (at least right now) -- since BJ Ryan is done for at least a year, would you trade Dye + MacDougal/Jenks for Rios? I would, although I'm not sure Toronto would necessarily do that (for one), and after Dye took the lesser contract to come here (keeping his word), I feel like the Sox are in some way 'indebted' to him.

Intruiging to say the least.

QUOTE(CWSGuy406 @ May 10, 2007 -> 09:52 PM)

When you consider that if the White Sox hold on to Mr. Dye, and he departs as a FA, the White Sox will still receive 2 compensatory top-of-the-draft picks, and if Mr. Dye goes to Toronto those picks would go to the Jays, I think that's a little much to give up for Mr. Rios. But we're on track with a decent line of thought there, and it could well just be a matter of changing a player or two.

I still find it amazing that the Sox have a winning record with this offense. I looked back at the ESPN stats for team batting, and I could barely find a team that was even close to the Sox current futility.

Sox .223 BA (OAK at .244)

Sox 123 Runs (KC at 131 and OAK 141)

Sox 3.97 Runs/G

Sox 230 Hits (SEA 272)

Sox 7.42 Hits/G

Sox 39 2B (SEA 52)

Sox 1.26 2B/G

Sox .303 OBP (TEX .311)

Previous Low Totals (since 2000)

Detroit 2003 .240 BA

Detroit 2002 3.57 Runs /G

Detroit 2003 8.1 Hits/G

Detroit 2003 201 2B (1.24 /G)

Detroit 2003 .300 OBP

The other amazing aspect is the Sox have played the toughest AL schedule to date, and the 2nd toughest MLB schedule.

So if the schedule gets easier, players come off the DL, and the Sox start to hit better - the Sox will be in good shape by the pennant race. Even a regression from the pitching staff should not outweigh those positives.

QUOTE(Tony82087 @ May 10, 2007 -> 11:34 PM)
Either way, it's terrible. :P What got me was the Sweentney part. Ok, its baseball, Mike Sweeney can happen, but Mike Sweentney? Come on.... :lol:

They are confusing him with a 300 pound 7 foot black guy from the Bulls, easy mistake.