2007 White Sox Catch-All Thread

greasywheels121

• Replies 975
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(Gregory Pratt @ Jun 15, 2007 -> 09:35 PM)
There are a lot of very, very interesting things going on with our Chicago White Sox.

Rattle the list off for us.

I'm enjoying the losses until they start to dump people, then the games will be exciting to me.

QUOTE(Mr. Showtime @ Jun 15, 2007 -> 09:38 PM)
Rattle the list off for us.

I'm enjoying the losses until they start to dump people, then the games will be exciting to me.

I agree. I'd have no problem watching young talented players try and make their way in the MLB instead of zombies just going through the motions so they could collect their paycehcks at the end of the week.

QUOTE(CWSGuy406 @ Jun 15, 2007 -> 07:01 PM)
I don't think it has anything to due with "caring". Maybe a little bit, I guess, but this is just a mediocre team. We're starting bench players at two outfield spots, not to mention a SS who is hitting around .200. As of yesterday our bullpen contained to AAA pitchers in Prinz and Bukvich. Combine all that with the fact that the "big boppers" on offense are all (except Thome) having 10th percentile type years, and vwala!

But those AAA pitchers have been replaced by 2 other AAA pitchers. The bullpen is so bad its now funny. If anyone should be fired, its not Walker or Cooper or Ozzie, its Kenny Williams. I was working out watching the game and I hear Hawk whining again on the loss of the Sox "speed guys" in Pods and Erstad. First of all Pods SB percentage since the ASB of 2005 is piss poor, and Erstad is coming off ankle surgery. The odds of either one making it through an entire season healthy are pretty small, and the odds both of them make it through probably don't even exist. The bullpen was built on the cheap. Its far less paid than the 2005 bullpen when the payroll was about 40 million less. Its a flawed roster. Andy Gonzalez playing LF? Shocking Joe Crede is hurt, isn't it? Who could have possibly seen that coming? The injuries the Sox have had were very predictable, so that cannot be used as an excuse. Its a badly constructed roster. It needs to be fixed one way or another pronto.

Josh Fields has some very 'odd' power. Take that ball he just hit down the RF line in the Pittsburg game -- I thought that was just a little looper that was going to drop in front of their RFer. It ended up landing all the way by the warning track. His pop-ups just tend to go a long way. I imagine that's a testament to how strong he is.

Whatever it is, he's had a great series in Pitt -- very encouraging after his slow start.

QUOTE(CWSGuy406 @ Jun 17, 2007 -> 11:41 AM)
Josh Fields has some very 'odd' power. Take that ball he just hit down the RF line in the Pittsburg game -- I thought that was just a little looper that was going to drop in front of their RFer. It ended up landing all the way by the warning track. His pop-ups just tend to go a long way. I imagine that's a testament to how strong he is.

Seems like keeping him and Mr. Thome on the roster together might be a pretty good idea. Because that sounds to me exactly like Mr. Thome as well, except from the other side of the plate.

With no disrespect to any of the other Sox bloggers/Internet posters, I've always thought Jim of SoxMachine was the best and I think with posts like this one he made last night prove it:

Fields Picking on Pitchers His Own Size

After going 2-for-4 in tonight's victory over the Pittsburgh Pirates, Josh Fields has eight hits on the year. Here are the victims:

Jason Jennings

Jennings

Adam Eaton (entered game with 5.99 ERA)

Kyle Kendrick (making first career start)

Paul Maholm (entered game with 5.32 ERA)

Maholm

John Van Benschoten (making his first start since 2004, fifth overall)

John Grabow (reliever, entered game with a 5.82 ERA)

Jennings is a proven and quality big-league pitcher, but the rest have been Triple-A fodder on weak staffs. I'm not raining on any parades here -- Sox hitters have had difficulty with just about everybody throwing against them, whether they're Johan Santana or Chad Durbin, so it's great to see Fields racking up hits against anybody. At the same time, when a guy like Dan Kolb strikes out Fields on three pitches like he did tonight (his 13th in 34 at-bats), it illustrates it's still going to be a slow and trying process watching Fields develop.

Boers and Bernstein just put on a soundbite from the PFB show, when some dummy was asked if money wasn't an issue, would you rather have Rowand or Ichiro on this team. The dummy said, well Rowand of course. And PFB said, are you sure. Its Ichiro we are talking about. The dummy then said, well Rowand has tenacity and was part of the WS championship, what has Ichiro done.

All I have to say is how sad I am that this man drinks so much to make such a silly comment.

QUOTE(southsideirish71 @ Jun 18, 2007 -> 02:15 PM)
Boers and Bernstein just put on a soundbite from the PFB show, when some dummy was asked if money wasn't an issue, would you rather have Rowand or Ichiro on this team. The dummy said, well Rowand of course. And PFB said, are you sure. Its Ichiro we are talking about. The dummy then said, well Rowand has tenacity and was part of the WS championship, what has Ichiro done.

All I have to say is how sad I am that this man drinks so much to make such a silly comment.

Yeah I heard that live yesterday while in the car. It was THE classic moron Rowand guy. His whole argument was "he has a ring."

By his logic, he'd rather have Geoff Blum at 3rd base instead of, say, Miguel Cabrera in a fantasy world.

QUOTE(IlliniKrush @ Jun 18, 2007 -> 03:14 PM)
Yeah I heard that live yesterday while in the car. It was THE classic moron Rowand guy. His whole argument was "he has a ring."

By his logic, he'd rather have Geoff Blum at 3rd base instead of, say, Miguel Cabrera in a fantasy world.

It reminds of a story I read where Jerry Krause was trying to trade Wil Perdue to Sacramento, and kept on talking up the fact that Will had 3 championship rings. The Sacramento GM finally told Jerry, "so does your trainer."

QUOTE(IlliniKrush @ Jun 18, 2007 -> 03:14 PM)

Cabrera has a ring. Alex Rodriguez and David Wright do not.

QUOTE(Kalapse @ Jun 18, 2007 -> 03:30 PM)
Cabrera has a ring. Alex Rodriguez and David Wright do not.

I just threw out the first name that came to my head at 3b (we are playing the marlins) but yeah, you get my point.

Blum>ARod

WHAT HAS AROD DONE BUT CHOKE WITH THE YANKEES IN THE PLAYOFFS? YOU DIDN'T SEE BLUM CHOKE.

Not knowing either one, I like Contreras better than Buehrle as a person but that's because I greatly admire Jose's life. He's an amazing man who has lived an amazing tragedy, and I dearly want Jose to have a happy ending somewhere. I just wish it could be here, but I don't think that's possible.

Buehrle I love, too, and I'd rather have him around long-term than Contreras, but I hate that reality.

It's silly, but I wish we could send Jose to NY with Orlando and he could be happy there.

These are just little feelings I have and thoughts.

Personally, I think it's very possible that Garland goes for some young, good positional prospects. Dye for Billingsley? Contreras for someone in NY (Milledge?) and you've got the money for Buehrle + Ichiro (though Ichiro pays for himself) and a variety of possibilities.

None of that is likely to happen, though. At least not in conjunction.

QUOTE(Gregory Pratt @ Jun 19, 2007 -> 12:32 AM)
Not knowing either one, I like Contreras better than Buehrle as a person but that's because I greatly admire Jose's life. He's an amazing man who has lived an amazing tragedy, and I dearly want Jose to have a happy ending somewhere. I just wish it could be here, but I don't think that's possible.

Buehrle I love, too, and I'd rather have him around long-term than Contreras, but I hate that reality.

It's silly, but I wish we could send Jose to NY with Orlando and he could be happy there.

These are just little feelings I have and thoughts.

Personally, I think it's very possible that Garland goes for some young, good positional prospects. Dye for Billingsley? Contreras for someone in NY (Milledge?) and you've got the money for Buehrle + Ichiro (though Ichiro pays for himself) and a variety of possibilities.

None of that is likely to happen, though. At least not in conjunction.

The man has won a WS, he is now a multi-millionaire, and he's reunited with his family. I admire the man, too, but I'm way past feeling sorry for him.

Nick Masset is on right now with Boers, Bernstein and Steve Stone. If anyone is interested. Stone has long been a huge fan of his.

Masset says it has been pretty tough adjusting to the role of a reliever and that he believes he's better suited as a starter.

Stoney hinting at a trade coming soon saying the saying Kenny is shopping a few starters and could very well deal one sometime soon.

QUOTE(Kalapse @ Jun 19, 2007 -> 04:20 PM)
Nick Masset is on right now with Boers, Bernstein and Steve Stone. If anyone is interested. Stone has long been a huge fan of his.

Masset says it has been pretty tough adjusting to the role of a reliever and that he believes he's better suited as a starter.

Stoney hinting at a trade coming soon saying the saying Kenny is shopping a few starters and could very well deal one sometime soon.

Damn, I missed the interview. Hopefully the Score will post it online.

Hmm....You thinking Garland and Buehrle as well?

QUOTE(Milkman delivers @ Jun 19, 2007 -> 02:39 PM)
The man has won a WS, he is now a multi-millionaire, and he's reunited with his family. I admire the man, too, but I'm way past feeling sorry for him.

I still have a ton of sympathy and respect for him. He's probably got to go -- I'd deal him and Garland and maybe Vazquez, if you could get something worth it -- but I will really miss him.