Geddy Lee shows love for Old Comiskey

FlaCWS

For all the young guys, Geddy Lee is the bassist and lead singer of Rush, a rock band whose heyday was pretty much the late 70's through the mid 80's. They're still around though, and Geddy recently did some promotion for ESPN fantasy baseball since he is a huge baseball fan and fantasy geek... Anyway, I just saw this Page 2 article where they interviewed Geddy, and one of the questions was about his all-time favorite ballpark:

All-time favorite: "My favorite stadium was the old Comiskey Park in Chicago. I still can't believe they tore it down, and that new stadium has nothing [compared] to it. No history or ambiance to it at all. I think this was one of the worst things ever -- tearing down Comiskey, they messed with history. Joe Jackson played on that field, and to tear it down for that new place is a travesty. The new stadium has no atmosphere whatsoever. The White Sox went from my favorite ballpark to my least favorite, and there is no need for a new Yankee Stadium. Why?"

http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/page2/story...e=broder/070410

Rush is still in the Limelight, still in the Camera Eye, still with Vital Signs, and going strong, but sadly not in the Rock n Roll Hall of Fame. Some Witch Hunt I guess. No need for Tears, perhaps they will be inducted by 2112.

Old Comiskey was great. I love Geddy, but I think he's wrong about the new park. I don't think he's been there since any of the renovations. His least favorite is Skydome and he's a Blue Jays season ticketholder right behind home. Rush in Tinley Sept 8. The new album May 1 is supposed to be awesome. Even Rolling Stone is handing them backhanded compliments.

QUOTE(Texsox @ Apr 12, 2007 -> 02:28 PM)
Rush is still in the Limelight, still in the Camera Eye, still with Vital Signs, and going strong, but sadly not in the Rock n Roll Hall of Fame. Some Witch Hunt I guess. No need for Tears, perhaps they will be inducted by 2112.

Well, they have A Ghost of a Chance, but nothing is certain, you just have to Roll the Bones. Still, that proclamation has a certain Bravado....

(You can tell which of their albums I actually own....)

QUOTE(knightni @ Apr 12, 2007 -> 02:29 PM)
Old Comiskey was a sad tired relic of graffiti and trash. Totally unfriendly to families and the neighborhood was in need of improving.

USCF is clean, nice, updated, friendly and the area is a lot safer than it used to be.

I agree with both of your points and think RUSH gets more annoying the futher high school is in my rearview mirror. Old Comiskey was a neglected, crumbling, leaking structure that needed replacement. The new park, especially with all the improvements since USC bought the naming rights, is a very comfortable, enjoyable place to watch a game if you sit on the lower level or in the luxury areas.

However, the WS still screwed up when they turned down the idea to effectively build Camden Yards, before Baltimore took the gamble on the idea. Read City Baseball Magic by Philip Bess to hear his plan for a park in Armour Square which would have eliminated the stigma that USCF has been saddled with for the better part of its 16 year history (Here is a link to an interview he conducted with WSI as well http://whitesoxinteractive.com/FixComiskey...versation1.htm).

Even if they did not build a retro park, there were serious oversights and lack of creativity with the asthetic design of the ball park and the pitch of the upper deck. Reinsdorf loved Kauffman stadium and had a similar design commissioned when the Sox were talking about moving to Addison. Rather than having a new plan drawn up to fit the urban site, the Sox simply tweaked the Addison plan and built the last of the 70s/80s style ballparks. Further, the steepness of the upper tank was driven by a mission to put as many luxury boxes in the park as possible, including the club level.

I like Jerry but I can't wait for the day when this park is obsolete and they can build something more fitting with the neighborhood and an original member of the American League in 1901.

QUOTE(Balance @ Apr 12, 2007 -> 03:46 PM)
Well, they have A Ghost of a Chance, but nothing is certain, you just have to Roll the Bones. Still, that proclamation has a certain Bravado....

(You can tell which of their albums I actually own....)

Well, we'll have to get Geddy on a plane out of YYZ to fly down and see the renovations. If he gives us a Distant Early warning we can meet him down at on the Alien Shore at Lakeside Park on Bastille Day and then drive him through the neighborhood and the Subdivisions around the stadium. He can roll down the Power Windows and share the Spirit of the Radio with an Anthem to the Working Man. We'll Take a Friend and use Free Will to pay The Big Money to sit Under the Shadow behind home plate and hope one of our guys takes off the Kid Gloves and pulls out The Weapon and gives us One Little Victory and hits a monster homerun that gets The Big Wheel spinning and brings Tears to the Grand Finale.

:)

QUOTE(Beltin @ Apr 12, 2007 -> 03:18 PM)
I like Jerry but I can't wait for the day when this park is obsolete and they can build something more fitting with the neighborhood and an original member of the American League in 1901.

Well after all the money spent on renovations the past few years I'd say you only have about another 40 years until that may happen. :-)

QUOTE(knightni @ Apr 12, 2007 -> 02:29 PM)
Old Comiskey was a sad tired relic of graffiti and trash. Totally unfriendly to families and the neighborhood was in need of improving.

USCF is clean, nice, updated, friendly and the area is a lot safer than it used to be.

Well, they call him the working man.

Obviously Lee hasn't been to the park since the renovations or he'd never say that.

But hey, it's our opporurtunity to make him a... no, I can't do this... fine, but no more after this please!!... to make him a...

New World Man.

QUOTE(Texsox @ Apr 12, 2007 -> 03:28 PM)
"In the End", they are just a "Fly by Night" making "Permanent Waves" "Closer to the Heart".

You are right, how they are not in the RnR HoF is beyond me.

Online petition here: http://www.petitiononline.com/xanstar/

QUOTE(bmags @ Apr 12, 2007 -> 04:31 PM)
why you guys care about the rock and roll HOF is beyond me. How is that museum seen as any sort of vindication?

Good point. I guess based on the other inductees people look at other bands and think they belong.

The old ballpark was very intimate. I was about 8 the first time that I went and I remember being surprised by how small it was (very few things are seen as "small" by young children). The upper deck seats were incredibly close to the field and were arguably the best seats in the house. The only thing that I didn't like about it was the support beams that obstructed the view in the lower deck.

I agree that the new ballpark isn't as nice, but it looks much, much better after the renovations and has taken on an atmosphere of its own.

QUOTE(RME JICO @ Apr 12, 2007 -> 04:17 PM)
"In the End", they are just a "Fly by Night" making "Permanent Waves" "Closer to the Heart".

You are right, how they are not in the RnR HoF is beyond me.

Online petition here: http://www.petitiononline.com/xanstar/

Rush will get in the HOF sooner or later--they should be. I'm not worried about it.

QUOTE(LVSoxFan @ Apr 12, 2007 -> 07:24 PM)
Rush will get in the HOF sooner or later--they should be. I'm not worried about it.

.....only because everyone seems to get in eventually. I wouldn't call an induction into the R & R HOF a measure of greatness.

Edited by LosMediasBlancas

QUOTE(Dick Allen @ Apr 12, 2007 -> 12:38 PM)
Old Comiskey was great. I love Geddy, but I think he's wrong about the new park. I don't think he's been there since any of the renovations. His least favorite is Skydome and he's a Blue Jays season ticketholder right behind home. Rush in Tinley Sept 8. The new album May 1 is supposed to be awesome. Even Rolling Stone is handing them backhanded compliments.

Old Comiskey is where I really learned to love the game of baseball at a very young age. When my family moved to Kansas City when I was around kindergarten-age, I found the antiseptic newness of Royals Stadium very unsettling.

I was glad I had the chance to see games there, but in retrospect the place was a dump. And the whitewashing it had, the only way I ever laid eyes on it, made it look like a giant Pepperidge Farm coconut layer cake.