Jenks Velocity (Redux)

Gregory Pratt

QUOTE(SpringfieldFan @ Apr 17, 2007 -> 12:32 PM)
Seems to me he rebounded to a 97-98 range, which is great... but it seems in 2005 he was consistently in the 99-101 range. Maybe I just got used to watching him, but it didn't look like his fastball ever jumped last year like it had previously...

SFF

i noticed this also

• 1 month later...

He's tied for the lead league in saves, and 13 for 14 percentage wise. Will a day ever come where that is good enough and he doesn't have to throw 1 million miles an hour? Keep in mind, the fastest pitch he's ever thrown (102 in Seattle right after he came up in '05) was smased for a double.

QUOTE(witesoxfan @ Apr 15, 2007 -> 03:36 PM)
Koch did get back up to 95-97, he just had absolutely no command of it at all. I mean, the guy went to Florida and walked 20 guys in 25 innings. You wanna talk about no control at all, that's it.

Jenks scares me because I don't remember him ever being this slow. I think it will improve, I just don't know if it'll get in the 97-100 range again, which is where he needs to be to remain a dominant closer.

I disagree with that. If he can keep it up near 95, which is where he seems to be now and locate the ball he'll still be a dominant closer. He has one of the better hammers in all of baseball, hitters are still generally behind his fastball on first look and his slider doesn't look bad either. I like what they're doing with him. They're taking him from just a pure power pitcher and turning him more into a pitcher. If he regains that velocity, it's a major plus. If not, he's still a damn good closer. Even though he's somewhat out of whack right now, I'm still very confident when he takes the bump.

QUOTE(Dick Allen @ Apr 16, 2007 -> 10:45 PM)
If the White Sox hope to go to the playoffs this year and win in the playoffs, they are going to need a better Bobby Jenks than the 2006 version. He was fine the first half. He wasn't very good the second half. Pretty brutal in September. Even Ozzie is concerned about his velocity, and Jenks and Cooper disagree on why its down. If its going to take him a month or 2 into the season to regain his velocity, he's going to need a new offseason program. I also think the odds are he dissappears from the spotlight about as quickly as he entered it. I really don't think he'll have a very long career. IMO he is a prime candidate for a devastating arm injury, and his lack of velocity is something that may make that more likely. If he's only capable of throwing 93 or 94 and he's out there trying to throw 100, something bad will probably happen. The good news is he seems to be the one right now least worried about it, decreasing the likelihood of that happening. If his job suddenly is on the line though..............BTW according to the Sun-Times, he will be working on his mechanics using the towel drill.

What? Jenks is in his third year of MLB service and he knows everything about his mechanics and what to do and when to worry about his velocity? If that's the case, why does Coop ever speak a word to him? Coop knows what the hell is up with him, that's why they're working his mechanics. If Coop is more worried about his velocity and telling him to get more power from his legs, then Coop sees and injury in the near future. If Jenks doesn't feel like listening, and feels like everything is fine and goes out there and puts extra strain on his arm to hit 99 MPH, the starlight will shut on him just like you said. Coop ain't the one wrong here. Jenks needs to be worried.

Edited by BobDylan

QUOTE(southsida86 @ May 22, 2007 -> 10:31 PM)
Speaking of velocity, Jose and Javy have been down this year too. Jose has been 88-91 most of the time and Javy has been 89-92. both were mid 90s last year. I'm kind of worried about Javy, but not as much about Jose given his age.

Neither of them was close to being in the mid 90s during the 2nd half of last year. At the most, both have lost about 2 mph consistently on their fastball. Same goes with Jenks and Aardsma.

QUOTE(whitesoxfan101 @ May 22, 2007 -> 12:00 AM)
He's tied for the lead league in saves, and 13 for 14 percentage wise. Will a day ever come where that is good enough and he doesn't have to throw 1 million miles an hour? Keep in mind, the fastest pitch he's ever thrown (102 in Seattle right after he came up in '05) was smased for a double.

I'm pretty sure that's wrong. I remember when he hit 102, and DJ and Hawk said something like "102?!" as the pitch was caught by the catcher. The pitch that was hit for a double to RF was the next pitch, or a few pitches later.

QUOTE(Milkman delivers @ May 22, 2007 -> 10:42 PM)
I'm pretty sure that's wrong. I remember when he hit 102, and DJ and Hawk said something like "102?!" as the pitch was caught by the catcher. The pitch that was hit for a double to RF was the next pitch, or a few pitches later.

Richie Sexson was at the plate, and we threw out Ichiro at home to preserve the lead and won that game. It might be the last time we threw someone out at home off of a relay.

QUOTE(fathom @ May 22, 2007 -> 10:33 PM)
Neither of them was close to being in the mid 90s during the 2nd half of last year. At the most, both have lost about 2 mph consistently on their fastball. Same goes with Jenks and Aardsma.

I was pretty happy with Jose (velocity wise) last night. He was consistently at 92 with his fastball and hit 93 a couple of times. It's certainly not the 94-96 that he used to be at, but if he has that forkball working and is effectively pitching up in the zone, Jose should be okay.

QUOTE(Milkman delivers @ May 22, 2007 -> 05:42 PM)

He hit 102 twice against Sexson. The first time was the "102?!" reaction because Sexson swung and missed. He then fouled off back to back pitches at 101 and 100, before doubling the 2nd 102 pitch down the RF line. And Fathom is right, we threw Ichiro out at the plate to save a lead on that play. That series had 102 and Brian Anderson hitting 2 homers off King Felix in 1 game. Must have been a full moon.

QUOTE(The Ginger Kid @ May 22, 2007 -> 05:44 PM)
when jenks can't get the breaking ball over, he's toast. the velocity is not enough to dominate like he did in the past.

I agree 100% with this. I still recall Bagwell's first at bat against him in that world series game. Bagwell and the whole stadium knew the heat was coming and he cinched it up for it. However, he still had no chance and after his whiffs he seemed to be staring straight through the camera at a place a million miles away. I don't see the same result should they meet up again.

SFF

QUOTE(SpringfieldFan @ May 23, 2007 -> 12:39 PM)
I agree 100% with this. I still recall Bagwell's first at bat against him in that world series game. Bagwell and the whole stadium knew the heat was coming and he cinched it up for it. However, he still had no chance and after his whiffs he seemed to be staring straight through the camera at a place a million miles away. I don't see the same result should they meet up again.

SFF

Bagwell was so hurt by then.

People can catch up to fastballs. You need another pitch too.

QUOTE(The Ginger Kid @ May 22, 2007 -> 05:44 PM)
when jenks can't get the breaking ball over, he's toast. the velocity is not enough to dominate like he did in the past.

He has a mid 90s velocity that goes up into the upper 90s. He has a curve, a slider, and a change. He has enough stuff to get by if his curve isnt getting over for a strike. He is our best reliever by far, and people are still on him. I dont get it.

His curve is good when it's not constantly going in the dirt(I don't blame him so much, just the bite he has on it is insane). He rarely uses the Change or Slider. I wouldn't consider those plus pitches. I wish he would use the Knuckler if he's going to stay at his mid-90's velocity. I really wish we could get him back in the 100's.

QUOTE(RockRaines @ May 23, 2007 -> 11:15 AM)
He had a very straight and uncontrolled 100 mph fastball. Since then he has put some cut on some and can now sink some of them as well. Couple that with the change, slider and his hammer and he can dominate.

I agree with that. You don't need to throw 98-100 to dominate. If Bobby's locating that hook and slider, he'll be dominant at 94-95.

QUOTE(WCSox @ May 23, 2007 -> 01:55 PM)
I agree with that. You don't need to throw 98-100 to dominate. If Bobby's locating that hook and slider, he'll be dominant at 94-95.

Yeah, but how bout a hook, a slider, and 101?

They aren't mutually exclusive you know. Jenks is among the best already, but all else being equal, I'll take the 101 to the 95, thank you. ;)

SFF

With these cutters and sinkers and maybe even a two seamer or god knows what else he's putting on the fastball, he'll be fine in the 93-96 range, so long as he's locating. What I'd like to see is him not going to his curve on 90% of 2 strike counts; his entire assortment of fastballs can all be strikeout pitches, even his 4 seamer; all he has to do is climb the ladder. If he can do that, I'm not sure the dude's touchable.

Jenks rarely throws his fastball past people anymore. I'd guess that 80 pct of his strike outs come via an offspeed pitch. Whenever Jenks can get 2 strikes on a hitter without using his hook, he has a great chance at getting that hitter out.