33 Dead After Virginia Tech University Shooting

Controlled Chaos

• Replies 220
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

MSNBC had an interview with a kid named Trey Perkins who was in a class where shots were fired.

Perkins said that his professor and multiple students were shot, the gunman left the room, he and another student went to the door and held it shut. The gunman then tried to re-enter and tried to shoot through the door as Perkins and a classmate tried to hold it shut. After the gunman finally left, he went around and took off his sweatshirt and tried to help people who were bleeding profusely. Remarkable composure from a young man who had just gone through that.

QUOTE(RockRaines @ Apr 16, 2007 -> 01:46 PM)
Hey Fox News, what is the value of putting a little freshman on TV who claims she was at the "DZ fraternity" house all morning. Thanks for relaying what she saw on the news.

The media is just looking horrible in this whole incident. Extremely unprofessional. Bad interviews. Bad questions*. Reporting spotty, second-hand details as facts. Just looking like a bunch of opportunistic whores, in general.

* My favorite was the question they asked the grad student who shot the camera phone video:

"What will you do with your life?"

"Uhh...go on with it?"

QUOTE(aboz56 @ Apr 16, 2007 -> 01:49 PM)
MSNBC had an interview with a kid named Trey Perkins who was in a class where shots were fired.

Perkins said that his professor and multiple students were shot, the gunman left the room, he and another student went to the door and held it shut. The gunman then tried to re-enter and tried to shoot through the door as Perkins and a classmate tried to hold it shut. After the gunman finally left, he went around and took off his sweatshirt and tried to help people who were bleeding profusely. Remarkable composure from a young man who had just gone through that.

Similar story from a guy named O'Dell on MSNBC. Shot in the forearm, several others in the classroom shot worse, and they barricaded the door. Maybe it was the same room.

QUOTE(StrangeSox @ Apr 16, 2007 -> 02:53 PM)
The media is just looking horrible in this whole incident. Extremely unprofessional. Bad interviews. Bad questions*. Reporting spotty, second-hand details as facts. Just looking like a bunch of opportunistic whores, in general.

* My favorite was the question they asked the grad student who shot the camera phone video:

"What will you do with your life?"

"Uhh...go on with it?"

I saw that too, it is pretty pathetic, then again, with no information out there, it's all speculative reporting...Going on the whim all day has got to be tough for a reporter.

QUOTE(Yoda @ Apr 16, 2007 -> 02:52 PM)
Incidents like these are insane.

Is there an official toll on the number of deaths on this tradegy? Cause I see some are reporting 22 and others 32.

The problem is some of the wounded are dying at the hospital, so it will be several hours before they know for sure. It looks like the wounded and dead are over 50. That is just insane. A total breakdown in security for the campus after the first shooting.

QUOTE(RME JICO @ Apr 16, 2007 -> 08:21 PM)
The problem is some of the wounded are dying at the hospital, so it will be several hours before they know for sure. It looks like the wounded and dead are over 50. That is just insane. A total breakdown in security for the campus after the first shooting.

Honestly, the big breakdown is the school not cancelling classes after the first death in the dorm halls. And the response to the second shooting.

however, I just don't know any policy changes that would "secure" a college campus. It isn't like a high school where you could "lock it down", its open campus with 25 different buildings, tons of students, theres no way to regulate flow of students in and out of classrooms. Imagine if they went in a huge lecture hall! I just don't see any policy changes that would help.

QUOTE(bmags @ Apr 16, 2007 -> 04:40 PM)
Honestly, the big breakdown is the school not cancelling classes after the first death in the dorm halls. And the response to the second shooting.

however, I just don't know any policy changes that would "secure" a college campus. It isn't like a high school where you could "lock it down", its open campus with 25 different buildings, tons of students, theres no way to regulate flow of students in and out of classrooms. Imagine if they went in a huge lecture hall! I just don't see any policy changes that would help.

That's the scary thing. College campuses are incredibly vulnerable for these types of events.

QUOTE(greasywheels121 @ Apr 16, 2007 -> 03:43 PM)
That's the scary thing. College campuses are incredibly vulnerable for these types of events.

s***, even after the first shooting took place, there were so many people that were probably driving into class, or walking to class, with no way of knowing what had previously happened.

Not sure what has been said on here, but this was posted by a VTech student early this morning on another board I visit.

University Advisory

04/16/2007, Updated 10:16 a.m.

Gunman on campus; all classes canceled; stay where you are; do not come to campus.

being on a large, open campus right now, I do worry about copy cats right now, but I it's not a large worry. We are a very open campus, though, and i just can't imagine the terror that would ensue if a gunman came in a large lecture hall, despite numerous exits in each, there would be a stampede.

QUOTE(bmags @ Apr 16, 2007 -> 04:53 PM)
being on a large, open campus right now, I do worry about copy cats right now, but I it's not a large worry. We are a very open campus, though, and i just can't imagine the terror that would ensue if a gunman came in a large lecture hall, despite numerous exits in each, there would be a stampede.

That's something I've been thinking about, as well.

QUOTE(Gene Honda Civic @ Apr 16, 2007 -> 03:33 PM)
Terribly sad...

Terribly sad in a completely different way... The second thing I thought after the initial shock an sadness, "at least I won't have to listen to any more 'reverends' furthering their own career by cannibalizing Mr. Imus."

Yeah, that does sound sad..

QUOTE(bmags @ Apr 16, 2007 -> 03:53 PM)

Now imagine what would happen if he chained the doors like in this case.

This is really unbelievable. I'm sure many Americans will remember where they were when they heard this.

It's strange that several days ago I was watching a special on the Discovery Channel devoted to the Columbine attacks. While viewing an automated clock display the time at which events occured, I thought the same thing as Bmags -- most large campuses are disperse and populated by thousands of students. How could something such as that be prevented?

There really is not much you can do to prevent future shootings. Sure, an email was sent; but not all commuters have access. Neither do the students attending a class.

The best solution I can think of off hand is installing an intercom near the entrances of every building on campus. That way, if something such as this morning occurs atleast a lockdown can be instituted across campus.

the total is up to 33.

QUOTE(Flash Tizzle @ Apr 16, 2007 -> 04:04 PM)
This is really unbelievable. I'm sure many Americans will remember where they were when they heard this.

It's strange that several days ago I was watching a special on the Discovery Channel devoted to the Columbine attacks. While viewing an automated clock display the time at which events occured, I thought the same thing as Bmags -- most large campuses are disperse and populated by thousands of students. How could something such as that be prevented?

There really is not much you can do to prevent future shootings. Sure, an email was sent; but not all commuters have access. Neither do the students attending a class.

The best solution I can think of off hand is installing an intercom near the entrances of every building on campus. That way, if something such as this morning occurs atleast a lockdown can be instituted across campus.

You know those "rape" kiosks where people can alert the authorities if there is something threatening as they walk home late at night. Why cant they install something like that across the campus and intercoms in the class rooms like a giant fire alarm.