White Sox vs. Royals, 4/24/07 (W)

knightni

QUOTE(Rowand44 @ Apr 24, 2007 -> 10:32 PM)
It's the little dip/hitch, whatever you wanna call it that he does that makes his swing pretty ugly. He can actually be pretty quick to the ball, unfortunately he makes things harder on himself.

Its a product of our system. Look at our best guys like Fields. Check his power numbers, and then check out how many strikeouts he had. Look at Brians strikeout numbers. When you K at that high of a rate in the minors, ugly ugly things will happen in the majors.

Its makes me sad watching guys with 1/4 of the talent that Brian has like the Punto's and other associated crap from the Royals come up and put bat on ball. Our guys come up, and look like they are hitting a golf ball with a toothpick. Brian has someone in the minors that identifies a fault in his long looping swing, breaks it down, and gets him to shorten it up into a line drive approach. Its probably a different outcome. But when he goes back to AAA, he will get more of what he received down there. His numbers will look good, he will hit some jacks and will be unprepared to come up.

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(South Side Fireworks Man @ Apr 24, 2007 -> 10:33 PM)
I hear you, but the only problem is then we're back to Mack as our backup CF.

So what. Anderson, who I am a big fan of, is wasting space right now. Ozzie doesn't use him much anyway. When Erstad goes down, KW can bring in Rowand.

The frustrating thing about Brian is that it sure seems like his swing can be fixed. He's hit at every level before, and he's young enough. If it's an attitude problem, then it's his problem, but what are the coaches working with him on?

LOL. You really don't get it at all...

But go ahead, let's hear it.

He should be getting ABs in AAA. What I was saying -- and I think it was clear -- is that he has never made adjustments. Always has had the same crap approach and crap swing. Probably always will.

QUOTE(South Side Fireworks Man @ Apr 24, 2007 -> 11:35 PM)
An outfield of Erstad, Rowand and Dye sounds fine to me.

We'd have to get a major 'good vibe hometown' discount for Dye to be back here next year.

QUOTE(Gregory Pratt @ Apr 24, 2007 -> 10:36 PM)
He should be getting ABs in AAA. What I was saying -- and I think it was clear -- is that he has never made adjustments. Always has had the same crap approach and crap swing. Probably always will.

Your last sentence is why people get on you. What says that he'll never fix it?

QUOTE(Gregory Pratt @ Apr 25, 2007 -> 03:36 AM)

He takes the same swing on every pitch, basically neglecting where the ball is. That's why teams are throwing him so many low and away changeups. He shows no ability to adjust his swing after evaluating what pitch is on the way.

QUOTE(fathom @ Apr 25, 2007 -> 03:35 AM)
Haha, sorry about that. I won't even fix that.

I still have my eye on Baldelli. Too many OFers for that team. I wanted Dukes until you and Cheat informed me about his problems not only off the field, but with his teammates.

In fact, I wouldn't be totally averse to sending Dye to a west coast team for a pitching 'spect and then sending that 'spect and some of our lesser arms to Tampa for Rocco.

QUOTE(Heads22 @ Apr 24, 2007 -> 10:36 PM)
The frustrating thing about Brian is that it sure seems like his swing can be fixed. He's hit at every level before, and he's young enough. If it's an attitude problem, then it's his problem, but what are the coaches working with him on?

You mean he might just have an attitude problem and be uncoachable (like his dear friend) and not prepare well enough?

Oh!

PS: there are lots of guys who can hit in the minors and then blow in the major leagues. He's one of them.

QUOTE(Gregory Pratt @ Apr 24, 2007 -> 10:36 PM)

He's never had to. He's hit at every level before he came up to the majors. It's clear that he needs to make adjustments and eventually he'll find out that he does need to. However, when you've had success a certain way all your life, it's hard to convince yourself to make changes.

QUOTE(Capn12 @ Apr 24, 2007 -> 10:37 PM)
We'd have to get a major 'good vibe hometown' discount for Dye to be back here next year.

Maybe they can start playing the classic Bond theme "Live or Let Die" more often at games when the other team's bullpen is in trouble and JD is up at bat...Jane Seymour was hot back then.

QUOTE(Heads22 @ Apr 24, 2007 -> 10:38 PM)
Your last sentence is why people get on you. What says that he'll never fix it?

I say it because no one else will.

If he's to fix his career he's to make serious mental and physical adjustments that he hasn't shown himself capable of making in the last year.

QUOTE(CWSGuy406 @ Apr 25, 2007 -> 03:38 AM)
I still have my eye on Baldelli. Too many OFers for that team. I wanted Dukes until you and Cheat informed me about his problems not only off the field, but with his teammates.

In fact, I wouldn't be totally averse to sending Dye to a west coast team for a pitching 'spect and then sending that 'spect and some of our lesser arms to Tampa for Rocco.

I'd love to have Rocco, but he really seems to struggle staying healthy. He seems like one of those guys who is going to lose his speed sooner rather than later.